The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Funny name…serious disease: so what’s wrong with you? > Comments

Funny name…serious disease: so what’s wrong with you? : Comments

By Jo Coghlan, published 12/9/2011

Charcot-Marie-Tooth: Australia’s most common unknown disease.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Thanks for drawing attention to CMT Jo. You will be pleased to know that the Podiatry profession is well aware of the disease and we have several members with a special interest in CMT doing research in the area, especially the impact on children. It's painful, debilitating and not much fun to have. Here's hoping there is medical progress in the future to ease the effects.
Posted by Allied practitioner, Monday, 12 September 2011 11:32:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
'There is no special color for CMT (like pink for breast cancer) or a product to buy (a bandaged bear or a daffodil) or a famous spokesperson (Michael J. Fox or Christopher Reeve) but they do have the Charcot-Marie-Tooth Association.'

I cant possibly donate to this cause. All of the above are mandatory to pull my heart strings and make me sit up and take notice and enthuse me into overt displays of giving and empathy.
Posted by Houellebecq, Monday, 12 September 2011 3:28:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Jo,
Thanks for the information on CMT, haven't heard of it before, very informative.
NSB
Posted by Noisy Scrub Bird, Tuesday, 13 September 2011 5:19:04 PM
I happened to find your forum by accident and thought I'd post something.
I'm a co-facilitator of a CMT support group in Colorado, USA.

As for an associated color, here, a white, blue, orange and yellow color scheme has been used since the beginning of the year when the organization inaugurated a new website. The website's home page is cmtausa.org
Prior to that teal and white colors were used.

I'm sure that experiences with CMT are similar in whatever country.
When people asked me what was wrong with my feet or why I used a hiking pole for balance, I would say thet I have Charcot-Marie-Tooth disorder.
This usually lead to the question as to whether that was some sort of dental problem. Now I just say that I have CMT which usually leads to "What's CMT?".

I feel that it's up to every CMTer to educate one person at a time.
I think it's interesting that everyone knows about MS but not CMT.
World-wide, CMT is slightly more prevalent than MS.

I'm a 71 year old retired computer programmer.
I was not diagnosed until I was 65. I have CMT1A.
Posted by Dick107, Wednesday, 14 September 2011 3:18:08 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy