The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Crocodile tears on a cash register patriotism > Comments

Crocodile tears on a cash register patriotism : Comments

By Walt Brasch, published 11/9/2011

As people America and the world over mourn the anniversary of 9/11 - businesses cash in.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
such cynicism is a little sad too.

as is the lack of comments on these 2 articles.
Posted by Formersnag, Sunday, 11 September 2011 4:40:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sadly 911 is by far the single most opportunistically hijacked tragedy in the history of the world.

I had visited my mother today and had a short conversation about avoiding the papers knowing they'd drag on some 911 stories for ratings, and made an interesting observation about the coverage of the incident.

Although there were three separate disaster sites- one of which a heroic attempt to self-sacrifice to save lives (The plane that was retaken and crashed interstate)- we hardly hear about this story or the pentagon- whenever 911 is mentioned, we are always presented visuals of the twin towers.

I feared it was simply because the image of the twin towers burning is more emotive and eye-catching an image for viewers (almost a symbol), than another crashed plane, or a birds-eye-view of a squat 4-storey building with a chunk missing.

Even the memorial services leave a bad taste in my mouth with organizers bickering, attention-seeking and virtually hijacking the events to push an agenda or promote themselves (including various groups getting attention by arguing over the appropriateness of the 'memorial cross'.
Posted by King Hazza, Sunday, 11 September 2011 10:27:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The average US citizen or business does not comprehend irony.

Once you can grasp that, all the examples in the article are easily understood.

It is all of a piece with the existence of a group of US citizens that believes it is more likely that their own government was behind 9/11, than a bunch of Islamic terrorists.

Go figure, as they say.
Posted by Pericles, Monday, 12 September 2011 9:32:16 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy