The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > How HR robs us of good leaders > Comments

How HR robs us of good leaders : Comments

By Malcolm King, published 19/8/2011

When hiring it pays to cut out the middle-man.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
The real problem with recruitment organisations is their lack of spine. They enforce ageist selection criteria and in the main are nothing more than middlewomen (mainly young women) who rarely understand the brief or the nature of the positions advertised.

HR recruitment is a parasitic activity and the costs are passed on to management. Whether they get value for money is dubious. The writer makes a good distinction between inhouse recruiters and those who work for agencies such as Hays, Hudson, etc.

Inhouse recruiters in the main work hard to find the right candidate. The others are hacks in it for profit and to meet targets. The Fed Gov should look hard at how and why recruitment companies have forsaken merit in favour of the lowest common denominator - profit.
Posted by Cheryl, Friday, 19 August 2011 11:46:47 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Recruitment agencies should be avoided wherever possible. They seem to have little real understanding of the industries they are recruiting for. They are arguably good at fitting round pegs into round holes - jobs like accountant, human resources, IT - but no idea of how to use someone with a broad range of complex skills who doesn't have a recognisable title. I was recently approached by a recruitment agency for a position that I was so unsuitable for it wasn't funny and I suspect my lack of interest will mean I stand little chance of any further consideration. I was once interviewed by a recruiter who spent more time discussing my wife's musical interests than my skills and experience despite my best efforts to keep to the requirements of the job.

I suspect recruitment agencies are easily swayed by candidates with few skills other than self promotion rather than truly skilled but with more modest evaluation of their talents. It might explain why the quality of managers is so low. Very few I have met have good team building skills and most have very little ability to accommodate lateral thinkers.

Lastly I must point out that some of the agencies do have good recruiters but they are few and far between and the good ones don't seem to last.
Posted by John Wellness, Friday, 19 August 2011 2:20:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Malcolm while I agree with much of your article, I think you are missing the point with your reference to the "closed shop" as you see it, & your some what condescending attitude to what you obviously see as "Hick" places.

Firstly I will add a few for you. I would include The Whitsundays, Cairns, PNG, the Solomon Islands, Fiji, & in fact most places that are a little different.

Contrary to the idea that hick managers are scared of highly qualified newcomers, they are absolutely sick of these types lasting just a few weeks, & shooting through.

Firstly many of these people have the wife syndrome. She has one look at the town, housing, schools, roads or whatever, & he's gone.

Secondly you find most of these types can't actually do the job, without the entourage of helpers they are used to. I had one marine manager who flew out of town the moment he found he was responsible for crew rosters. Apparently math was not his thing.

After a few failures you start to grow your own. It is most pleasing to watch some kid grow into a job they never even aspired to, until pushed a bit. Perhaps the most important qualification is that they like the place, want to stay, are willing to learn, & have a go.

My best restaurant manager started as a 17 year old waitress. By 24 she was the manager, a real asset.

My best marine manager started as a deck hand. It took a bit longer for him, as he worked through his masters qualifications, but there was not too much he didn't know, after 8 years.

The best & longest serving manager Hayman Island ever had, started as a cook. Don't tell him that, he reckons he was a chief. So Malcolm, don't talk someone out of going bush, but do warn them, there is an apprenticeship to surve, as a local resedint, & they may have to start at the bottom again, but after that the sky's the limit, & you can get there on ability.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 19 August 2011 5:39:34 PM
Hasbeen.....what a lovely segment of reality....but still many don't get the support/time period that makes the great employment gem that all mum's and dad's that puts their time and money into, with whats expected.

The age old question is......

I'll let you finish it off.:)

Mathematically.....people+people+space+time+energy+resources+7 billion+time-line-of-heritability....This reflects all the genetic contributions to a population's phenotypic variance including ...Any particular phenotype can be modelled as the sum of genetic and environmental effects:[5]

Phenotype (P) = Genotype (G) + Environment (E).

Likewise the variance in the trait – Var (P) – is the sum of genetic effects as follows:

Var(P) = Var(G) + Var(E) + 2 Cov(G,E).

In a planned experiment Cov(G,E) can be controlled and held at 0. In this case, heritability is defined as:

H^2 = \frac{Var(G)}{Var(P)} .

H2 is the broad-sense heritability. This reflects all the genetic contributions to a population's phenotypic variance including additive, dominant, and epistatic (multi-genic interactions), as well as maternal and paternal effects, where individuals are directly affected by their parents' phenotype (such as with milk production in mammals).

These additional terms can be decomposed in some genetic models. 'An important example is capturing only portion of the variance due to additive (allelic) genetic effects. This additive genetic portion is known as Narrow-sense heritability' and is defined as

h^2 = \frac{Var(A)}{Var(P)}

Which=time-displacement+numbers=just a bit more than we need:)

Overpopulation=extinction.

And are smart....why?

LEAP

Leap
Posted by Quantumleap, Friday, 19 August 2011 11:11:56 PM
I have been doing battle for years with those "qualified' people who satisfied the selection criteria. After expensive relocation to our area & at the expense of many locals they then have to ask advise for every little decision they have to make. 95% don't actually make decisions. The problem is this selection criteria madness. People with actual experience can't get their foot in the door yet some incompetent & inexperienced & utterly disinterested bureaucrat gets the position. This system has brought this country to its knees & actually ruined many indigenous communities. Sadly but also totally undeniable, Labor is the organisation who are directly responsible for this mess. It was Labor that started all this 3-day TAFE course expertise & handing out certificates on no merit at all.
As I stated in another thread we now have two generations of people who can't hold a spanner because of this system. On one hand the communities get incompetent manager after incompetent manager & the young people aren't offered any training of substance. This system isn't working. Instead of spending hundreds of thousands to train people the Govt spends millions on ruining them.
Posted by individual, Saturday, 20 August 2011 9:51:30 AM
I tend to agree with Hasbeen on King's selective attack on employment in rural areas.

Even so, in Adelaide, HR is actually weeding out excellent candidates by dubious use of selection criteria and probably illegal word choice in ads such as 'dynamic', 'recent graduate', 'enthusiastic' - if it wasn't for the Anti-discrimination act they'd just say Young People Only. Although young people are being forced out because HR recruiters want people with 'experience'. It's a lose-lose for young and old alike.

Apart from the writer's holier-than-thou Tory attitude at times - and the fact that he has only inferred that good leaders are rubbed out by recruiters - the article is the most damning I have read on HR recruitment (agencies). One day a reckoning will come to these flim flam men and women.
Posted by Cheryl, Saturday, 20 August 2011 10:35:48 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy