The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The ABC: from correcting market failure to causing it > Comments

The ABC: from correcting market failure to causing it : Comments

By Judith Sloan, published 2/8/2011

Whose interest does the ABC really serve these days?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
"How does this square with any definition of impartial and unbiased journalism to which the taxpayer is forced to commit funds?"

Perfectly. Any unbiased and impartial examination of the cases for and against NBN or of Tony Abbot's performance will come to the same view. Impartiality is not the same as not coming to a view. It is a matter of being rational and meticulous in examination of the evidence and arguments on an issue, and in the reasoning used subsequently to form a view.

Intelligent questioning, moreover, requires an understanding of the facts and arguments, and some theories about them. (Think of Darwin and the gravel pit.)
Posted by ozbib, Tuesday, 2 August 2011 9:58:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I happened to watch Nine News on Sunday night. There was not one item on national politics and not one international item of any kind. I also recently saw the interview with Rupert Murdoch in which he said that the reason he entered the UK newspaper market was to 'have influence' (his words). Add to this the scurrilous Fox network in the US, and the recent political moves around Channel Ten, and it clear that Judith Sloan's trust in privately owned media is more to do with her own political leanings than the public interest.

I am in the position of being forced to buy politically biased Murdoch newspapers because there is no alternative. Is this the market at work?

If Australia wants an international news presence which reflects the national interest, the public broadcaster is the only rational choice.
Posted by Godo, Tuesday, 2 August 2011 10:58:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Fancy that a far right exe Australian writer attacking the ABC, well blow me down. The ABC has been defunded and centralised, it has reduced the production values of all of it's services. That said I think better funding of the ABC and SBS would be the way to go.
Posted by Kenny, Tuesday, 2 August 2011 11:22:00 AM
Ah Judith, what is it about ABC journalists expressing an opinion that so offends and unsettles you?
I welcome the opportunity to gain an insight into the thoughts and emotions of all journalists. We have a pretty good idea of Andrew Bolt's beliefs and value system and the views of Piers Akerman, Alan Jones and John Laws are known. They are in the business of asking questions of public figures, so what makes them exempt in your eyes and not employees of the ABC?
I think it is healthy, in a democracy, to know the views, beliefs and opinions of all public figures. Armed with such knowledge we might be able to avoid being sprung by the Reiths, Howards, Gillards and Rudds of this country.
For instance what does George Pell really think of asylum seekers and homosexual love?
How was Marius Kloppers able to serve in the South African military and study at Wits with the riots and misery of Apartheid swirling around him?
I fear you are blind and naive in believing that commercial media has appropriately served this country. Where are they on the use and management of water, the mismanagement of the ADF and the Qantas buble that is about to burst?
I agree with the comments of Ozbib and Godo. Two things lacking in your article Judith, are tolerance and maturity.
Bruce Haigh
Posted by Bruce Haigh, Tuesday, 2 August 2011 11:39:08 AM
Well done, Judith. The Green-Left bias of the ABC is pretty evident. It's OK I think for journalists not funded by the taxpayer to express opinions in favour of one political ideology or another but it annoys me that my taxes pay for Barrie, Fran, Virginia and their fellow-travellers to peddle their Green-Left views.
Posted by Senior Victorian, Tuesday, 2 August 2011 11:43:20 AM
So long as the ABC is taxpayer funded it should reflect the views of the overall community and not simply the left wing views of those who work for it. That is just common sense. I also believe that this is reflected in its charter.

If this is somehow not possible, perhaps a second government funded organisation could be established to reflect the views of the rest of us that are not being represented by the current staff at the ABC.
Posted by Sniggid, Tuesday, 2 August 2011 11:55:23 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy