The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > GetUp! and ENGO supporters being betrayed by deceitful campaigning > Comments

GetUp! and ENGO supporters being betrayed by deceitful campaigning : Comments

By Mark Poynter, published 14/7/2011

Those donating to these groups should seriously examine the veracity of claims being used to solicit their money.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Mark,
You must be getting increasingly desperate that your gravy train from FT is coming to an end. Yet another spin article so soon after the last one. The Triabunna mill deal has really got to you and the eminent demise of FT as the corrupt financially losing entity that it is.
Not to worry, keep trotting out all the statistics that you can cherry pick and there might be a job for you at ABARE one day.
Posted by sarnian, Thursday, 14 July 2011 9:36:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sarnian
Sorry to spoil your little personal attack, but this article was obviously written before news of the Triabunna mill sale came through. Just for the record I live in Victoria, so do not and never have worked for FT, and I write these articles on a voluntary basis.

As the article clearly says, the money lies on the other side of the debate and it seems that the $1.6 million pre-election donation to the Greens by Wotif entrepreneur, Graham Wood, has been paid back in full by behind-the-scene's political interference which seems to have enabled him and his bus partner to buy the mill.

I would be surprised if we've seen the end of this affair just yet - if the roles were reversed, I'm pretty sure the likes of you would be calling for a Royal Commission.
Posted by MWPOYNTER, Thursday, 14 July 2011 3:23:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
MWPOYNTER

The last thing that FT and the present Tassie government would ever want is a Royal Commission. Imagine what would come out of the woodwork?
Posted by sarnian, Thursday, 14 July 2011 4:01:51 PM
Mark, another informative article that exposes the hypocrisy of the greens and their activist groups. Despite their claims of high ethical standards the fund raising tricks that you expose show a need for scrutiny.

The greens normally demand openness and transparency yet many of the activist groups don’t produce an annual report showing income or listing donors. Groups like Still wild Still Threatened, and the Huon environment Centre who appear little more than front groups make no attempt to disclose their funding sources.

Those groups that do publish annual statements show a minimum combined income of $70 million but avoid listing the donors. How much is from overseas or from Australian charities that have been ‘invited’ to fund their activities. One charity, the Reichstein Foundation, gave money to create “community” groups in the Tamar Valley to oppose the pulp mill.

You also mention the Triabunna Chip Mill purchased by a tourism investment company created by millionaires Jan Cameron [Kathmandu founder] and Graeme Wood [Wotif founder]. According to the ABC last year Cameron channelled her bank balance towards Animals Australia, the organisation that supplied Four Corners with the footage of the Indonesian abattoirs.

Wood gave $1.6 million to the Greens at last year’s election, to buy TV advertising that resulted in the Greens having one Representative and nine senators holding the balance of power. According to the Greens the first condition to support the Gillard government was for a “price” on Carbon “pollution”.

In State and Federal Parliament in the last weeks the greens raised questions that undermined a rival [industry] bid to buy the chip mill. http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/commentary/saint-bob-brown-steps-into-spotlight/story-e6frgd0x-1226086702210

In fact the rival bidder told the ABC that “He blames the Greens for his company's failure to secure the deal "You've got the Greens, Milne and Christine in Parliament and Booth all having a go at us".
He also stated that Australia's major banks are not interested in lending to companies working in Tasmania's native forests."A lot of the four major banks are shhh, I better not swear, are very scared of their image, public perception." see http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-07-13/20110713-rival-mill-bid-company-in-shock/2793630

More corporate brand mailing!
Posted by cinders, Thursday, 14 July 2011 10:42:41 PM
Sarnian
Just wondering what has made you so distrustful of government and scientists. You seem to believe that anything from state or federal government is a conspiracy. It would be good to see you take in the articles and just for a second believe there may be at least some element of truth behind mpoynters articles before dismissing them.
Posted by Rumpelstiltskin, Tuesday, 19 July 2011 11:13:21 AM
Rumpelstiltskin.

I may not be a “rocket scientist” but I think I am endowed with a reasonable IQ. I do not like being taken for a fool by either a Government or an individual.
If you are seriously asking me to take everything that the Tasmanian Government has done in it’s stint in power as above board and not done in some backroom or restaurant” deal, then you are taking me for a fool and I do not appreciate it.
The Original deal for the pulp mill, cooked up by Gay and Lennon at a popular restaurant to the “fast forwarding” of the RPDC process over the same mill, are cases in point.
There have been so many of these that I do not care to list them and anyone who was not living in Lala land would know about them.
I do not know where you get your distrust of “ scientists from”. Have a lot of respect for genuine scientists. I hope you are not including persons who have sold their services to a group, knowing that they are expected to produce results and toe a line that is set by management, regardless of the veracity of those result.
I do not have any respect for politicians except for a very small number who I consider to have integrity.
In the main I think that politicians have only one train of thought, “how can I obtain power and how can I get re-elected, having gained that power”.
This I might add goes for both main parties and now I even add some minor party members
I consider mpoynters articles to be nothing more than propaganda pieces that are of no value whatsoever.
Posted by sarnian, Tuesday, 19 July 2011 1:56:05 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy