The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The case against a sovereign wealth fund > Comments

The case against a sovereign wealth fund : Comments

By Andrew Leigh, published 30/6/2011

Our duty to future generations isn't to leave them a pile of money, but a strong functioning well-maintained economy and country.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
The Government Pension Fund of Norway appears to work well. So when Australia has reduced it's limited mineral resources to hollow shells in the ground, Norway will be sleeping soundly. Food for thought I reckon.

So let's have a tax on carbon instead! Shame we have economists spouting ideas like this. Why not throw in a tax on nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium as well?
Posted by Yellow Kraken, Thursday, 30 June 2011 7:40:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank you Andrew for the first sensible and accessible article I have read on the issue. You make a sound argument for your case, (so lacking in today’s media hyperbole and the focus group slogan led politics). The article may have even been persuaded me to a different point of view.
Posted by Billy C, Thursday, 30 June 2011 9:09:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Billy, i do not agree with your assessment of Leigh's article.

There are a few pararagrphs which question the need for a sovereign wealth fund, but mostly it is mere propaganda for the business as usual approach by Labor (and how good are we).

As far as intellectual insight into the issues, I rate the article a joke, particularly his mention of a carbon tax and saving the Great Barrier Reeef when actual global emmissions are going up and up, and Labor relies even more on coal exports for its export wealth.

but then again, what do you expect from a politician where truth often gives way to propganda or worse
Posted by Chris Lewis, Thursday, 30 June 2011 9:36:04 AM
for instance, are there liabilities building for the public purse?

Is there a need to save for future infrastucture needs?

Are there signs that the future of the international economy may not be as rosy as optimists suggest?

I think if we ar going to discuss sovereign wealth funds, we might one consider if there are some real reasons for it rather than just kid ourselves everything is ok.

Yes, full credit to Norway. while it too may not be a perfect society, I think their deabte over a sovereign fund to deal from its mineral wealth may have been a bit more sophisticated.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Thursday, 30 June 2011 9:50:39 AM
and yet, all the ALP does is create debt .. go figure

ALP tax and spend, as in "oh hey, is that another tax, levy, surcharge coming our way?"

Will it eventuate in more waste, populist blather and unplanned excess before being cancelled, or buried?

(rhetorical, requires no answer, as it is self evident.)

Which is why someone from the ALP talking about a Sovereign Wealth fund, can only mean .. another tax coming our way.

Are we all part of a focus group, reactionary study now Andrew?
Posted by Amicus, Thursday, 30 June 2011 10:24:42 AM
please excuse my poor grammar on comments, need to slowdown and double check before posting.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Thursday, 30 June 2011 5:01:21 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy