The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > An open letter to the pro-democracy leaders of Hong Kong > Comments

An open letter to the pro-democracy leaders of Hong Kong : Comments

By Chin Jin, published 20/6/2011

Hong Kong's must oppose China's proposal to absorb it into the mainland's political structures.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Just yesterday I got a link to a very interesting article about Chinese strategies which might be worth reading though it is quite long. Be prepared for some surprises.
http://en.epochtimes.com/news/5-8-8/31055.html
Posted by renysol, Monday, 20 June 2011 2:33:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My wife and I were in Hong Kong recently, when the annual commemoration of the Tienanmen Square massacre took place across the road from our hotel. We joined the crowd, accepted People Power t-shirts and hats, made our donations and donned the hats. This was received by a local outburst of seemingly sincere appreciation and I felt pleased to make a small show of support for their democratic struggle. I'm sure DFAT would disapprove and I'm glad we had the chance. Next morning a paper reported the event front page, including the police estimate of 77,000 participants and the organisers' estimate of 150,000. No similar event was reported on mainland China, only some police harassment of four families of victims in Tiananmen Square itself.
As people arrived, they took candles and sat, in football field-sized blocks, listened, and sang. We moved freely through the crowd, photographed displays, memorials, and the continually growing crowd. There were police around, but we did not witness nor did the paper report any overt conflict.
We went to the hotel rooftop for an amazing sight. 100,000 candles making fields of light, expanding outwards as ever more people arrived. The intrinsic delay in sound reaching us from more distant fields made the singing seem ragged but the fact that we could hear it, 32 floors up and over the normal city noises of Hong Kong, made it all the more impressive.
The orderly behaviour of the crowd, their quiet determination to stand up for what remains of their democratic rights and fight for their extension, were inspirational. We felt privileged to have witnessed this event. The unstoppable move to information-based economies will inevitably lead to more people demanding to have a real say in their government, as we saw in the demise of the Soviet Union, the current wave of events in the Middle East, and in the presently frightened over-reactions of the Chinese government. I hope they will show some of the wisdom of Confucius and guide their citizens through what will be turbulent change as peacefully as possible to its inevitable conclusion.
Bob Montgomery
Posted by drbobmontgomery, Monday, 20 June 2011 11:02:32 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy