The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Chance for uranium diplomacy > Comments

Chance for uranium diplomacy : Comments

By Thom Woodroofe, published 15/6/2011

Australia's all or nothing approach to where it ships uranium ignores the fact its leverage can actually help raise nuclear safety standards and non-proliferation efforts around the world.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
I seriously doubt that withholding uranium supply would ever be a deterrent to proliferation. The world is awash with weapons grade plutonium already – particularly in Russia. Any country or terrorist group wishing to build nuclear weapons would be able to acquire the necessary material on the black market. I’m afraid the cat is out of the bag on this one.

Nuclear safety might be a better target but surely a country using civil nuclear power has a very strong vested interest in protecting its own people. Even if it didn’t care, threats to cut off uranium supply would only work if all suppliers agreed.
Posted by Martin N, Wednesday, 15 June 2011 10:08:49 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good Article

Unfortunately the position of those who have long opposed uranium to India will be strengthened once the Greens gain the balance of power in the Senate after 1 July 2011.

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Wednesday, 15 June 2011 11:33:26 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Tom, the message is simple, either India gets rid of its nuclear weapons, or we do not sell it uranium.

The Indians lied to the world when they secretly developed nuclear weapons using nuclear technology supplied to them for peacefull purposes. I am not in the habit of trusting people who lie to my face, and Australians as a nation should not trust the Indians who have done the same thing.

Any assurance from India that Australian uranuium will not be used to make nuclear weapons should be regarded with suspicion and deep mistrust.
Posted by LEGO, Saturday, 18 June 2011 10:38:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy