The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Oldest rainforest in the world to become a palm oil plantation > Comments

Oldest rainforest in the world to become a palm oil plantation : Comments

By Katja Wiese, published 13/6/2011

In Cameroon, 60,000 hectares of rainforest are to be cleared for a palm oil plantation.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
No I don't want to plant a tree, an empty gesture, or sign a petition which says "I object". The only way to really object is to do it practically and compromise the demand for palm oil; that is, cut consumption. If you have a petition for shrinking economies, ergo demand; austerity measures--no production extraneous to immediate needs, I'll sign that.
Posted by Squeers, Monday, 13 June 2011 6:16:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sign a petition...lol....it does nothing. These poor nations as they grow out of control, need something to supplement their existences by tearing it all down for the best of humanity:) Yes lets go! chop, slice, and dice everything, the world environments are for sale with No consequences! Hurry in now! while stocks last:)

Oh dear

LEA
Posted by Quantumleap, Tuesday, 14 June 2011 12:09:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This is truly distressing. The destruction of habitat is the single most immediate threat to our species' future. There are other pressing environmental, security and scarcity issues it is true but the loss of the globe’s biodiversity could spell our demise.

We humans are remarkable but creating new species from scratch is beyond or talents at the present time. To safeguard our future we must preserve as many different species as we are able. One never knows when entire cornerstone varieties of current food staples will come under threat of disease. Worse still, given the mind-boggling complexity of even the most contained ecosystem, it is difficult to predict what effect the elimination of one previously unheralded species may have.

We can progressively spend more money on problems like global warming if we don’t want to deal with it now. We are making precious little areas of new habitat. Worse still we are not making any more species. Once they are gone, they are gone forever. We may never know how valuable to us they might have been. We may never know how important they were to us until they were gone forever.

Thank-you Katja Wiese for bringing this tragic to our attention
Posted by Laurence Brown, Tuesday, 14 June 2011 2:41:11 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
And they say humans arn't changing the world.lol..by the end of this century, the Oldest rainforest in the world will be gone, if not all together. You know, I have to laugh at you people as well, for being the dumbest smart people I have ever seen:) Palm oil is one of the reasons your all fat pigs:) and those that are not.....its only a matter of time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3xC1_pLprY&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Yv3XaucPBU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-1DQwaauwE

Hey! Dont worry about it, the next gen will deal with the lost of everything, its fine.......you just carry on like there's No tomorrow:)

Like I've said.....8 billion, then 9 billion, then ten billion people.......I can see its all going to be fine:0 cant you?

Yes the bigger picture.......it does escape the best of us:)

LEA
Posted by Quantumleap, Tuesday, 14 June 2011 6:17:33 PM
I note this article was written by a German

I think the way Cameroon decides to treat its rain forests is something best left to those who are citizens of Cameroon and not somehting determined by "activists" from other nations

Otherwise all you end up with is a sort of defacto re-colonisation

and all those who "see the bigger picture" - in that picture you are actually looking at land owned by other people, not you....

They have a right to decide for themselves, without deference or consideration to your presumptions to merit, worth or sanctity
Posted by Col Rouge, Wednesday, 15 June 2011 9:48:00 AM
Col,

Nice bit of spin.

Talking about defacto re-colonisation....that is exactly what is going down at this present stage in Africa as a result of World Bank, IMF and various entities representing corporate "activism".

They've done it to India and now they are doing to Africa.

We don't all wear rose-coloured glasses.
Posted by Poirot, Wednesday, 15 June 2011 10:05:00 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy