The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Children need to stay safe in disasters > Comments

Children need to stay safe in disasters : Comments

By Suzanne Dvorak, published 13/5/2011

Climate change is creating more frequent and intense disasters with children bearing the brunt.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
"It is now beyond doubt that climate change is increasing the frequency and intensity of natural disasters..."

No it isn't. Don't be silly. No reputable climate scientist has linked recent disasters with global warming, and no reputable study has shown any significant increase in natural disasters. You are simply frothing up hysteria and making an emotional appeal with no foundation in fact. Why does OO continue to regurgitate these straw-man articles which have no foundation in anything more reliable than the front page of the newspaper?

A brief investigation of the history of weather events would help your thinking, although it would do nothing for your case.
Posted by Jon J, Friday, 13 May 2011 7:15:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"It is this message from children I take this week to a United Nations conference in Geneva on Disaster Risk Reduction."

Ah, follow the money -- I should have guessed. You are actually being PAID to promulgate this crap.
Posted by Jon J, Friday, 13 May 2011 7:17:35 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
From the news yesterday we note children in Blue MTS and central NSW playing in 10 Centermeter deep snow seemed to be enjoying themselves. God save them from Global warming as their 40 year old parents had never experienced such effects of Global warming that early in May.
Posted by Philo, Friday, 13 May 2011 9:04:09 AM
Isn't it interesting that all the alarmists who fervently argue for truth in science and accuse skeptics of misusing the facts, are absent?

Surely they will correct this person who is cynically misusing "science" for her own profit.

Otherwise, one could only conclude that they agree ..?

Ma'am .. the children are resilient and will adapt, with the UN or your organization's interference.

Hey, what do you reckon of all the children in Japan who didn't save their parents and families .. failures? What a dreadful example, but I guess you reach a point in getting funding and boondoggles that anything goes eh?

What do you think the families of the people who died in the tsunami will make of such abject exploitation.

"For me the lesson is a clear one. In order to ensure that every child survives a disaster we must listen to their voice and include them in our plans to lessen the effects of disasters on vulnerable communities." yep, next time there are floods in Queensland, we'll ask children .. "what shall we do?"

Unbelievable .. but I guess this is the world of NGOs and government parasites, and of course, it's our taxes supporting this. This makes my choice of charity, Guide Dogs Victoria, such a clear and easy choice.
Posted by Amicus, Friday, 13 May 2011 10:43:05 AM
Suzanne,
A timely reminder NOT to support 'Save the children' when next they ask for public support. Does STC get government financial support?

I can hardly believe you are CEO of the organization. Yet they are paying for your European trip, thats nice!

You are with the fairies in the garden and I do wonder what your age is.
Posted by Banjo, Friday, 13 May 2011 11:12:00 AM
Suzanne
to add to the chorus of disapproval over what is ultimately a silly article, you do realise that earthquakes and tsunamis cannot be linked to climate change?

For that matter the floods in Brisbane and Vicoria are known to be the result of the present la nina cycle, plus the overarching cycle, the Pacific Decadal Oscillation, and not to what is generally understood to be climate change. It is possible, however, to plausibly argue that climate change made the floods worse. How much worse? No-one knows.

Tornadoes I hear you say? They are linked to generally cooler temperatures. They are the result of the ruling la nina, which has caused temperatures to drop sharply in the past few months. Scientists have been arguing over trends in storms for years now and haven't come to anything that could be described as a consensus.
Posted by Curmudgeon, Friday, 13 May 2011 11:47:45 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy