The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Style v substance in the contemporary War of the Worlds > Comments

Style v substance in the contemporary War of the Worlds : Comments

By Peter Chen, published 29/3/2011

If you thought the NSW election was serious, these movies deal with the future of the planet.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Dear Peter Chen,

The funny thing about all this is that people like you think that other people need to be told these things. Writing a critique about this movie is like shooting fish in a barrel. You have just confirmed what I assumed would happen in this movie. I could tell what kind of movie it would be just from watching the trailer. The thing is, I don't care. I love these types of movies. They're awesome. Every science fiction/ fantasy film these days is supposed to be an alegory for the Iraq War, none worse than Avatar. It will be nice to watch something which isn't so self-conscious about the West's successes and failures. I can guarantee I will go to watch this movie twice in the cinemas. I much prefer it to any of the depressing, navel gazing rubbish served up by supposed cultured alternative movie makers, whose faf is even more predictable than the high-tech blockbusters they decry. Ra ra ra.
Posted by dozer, Tuesday, 29 March 2011 11:18:35 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I still say Starship Troopers is the best of the bunch.

Why people watch action movies aimed at teen aged boys and analyse them to within an inch of their lives I'll never know.

What's next, a food review of Telstra Stadium hot dogs complaining they should have more Jus?

IT'S NOT FOR YOU. It's a shoot-em-up explosion film.

You don't see teen aged boys going to the Ballet or Opera and musing that there isn't enough violence and explosions.

'It will be nice to watch something which isn't so self-conscious about the West's successes and failures.'

Amen to that! But You've got about as much chance of a new Australian film NOT being a grim tale about Junkies and dysfunctional families with a bit of black humour.
Posted by Houellebecq, Tuesday, 29 March 2011 4:52:59 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
And amen to that. There is a reason the Australian film industry is struggling, and we make all our money from the international movies made here, and our actors go overseas. ( Apart from the obvious smaller market, of course.) The fact is that most movies made here are sh!t and should not be viewed by anybody.
Posted by dozer, Tuesday, 29 March 2011 9:43:35 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy