The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > ABC-TV: Oscar-worthy, but journalistically unsound > Comments

ABC-TV: Oscar-worthy, but journalistically unsound : Comments

By Walt Brasch and Rosemary Brasch, published 28/2/2011

Oscar cross-promotion shows how commercial values have perverted news values in the USA

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
I see absolutely no reason why this sort of cross promotional advertising does damage to the networks credibility. I mean, does doing soft human interest stories about nobodies that impact noone except to provoke emotional responses enhance news credibility? No as far as I can see, it's not news. But it may improve ratings amongst a particular demographic.

But interviewing the new presenters of the Oscars just before the event that the network happens to have a major stake in promoting makes good business sense. Especially when wanting to reach that soft, touchy-feely demographic the network has tried to build up for just such occasions.

To complain now that it's not news and that it damages the organisations credibility is a bit rich.

The segment was never 'news' and never about 'news'.
Posted by Bugsy, Monday, 28 February 2011 3:07:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy