The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Could anything else smell so sweet? > Comments

Could anything else smell so sweet? : Comments

By Liz Conor, published 22/2/2011

Names are the first imposition of our own dreams and aspirations over our children's malleable little bodies.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Ummm, yes, no and huh? Cultural studies - will we never be rid of you?

I actually thought the writer was an anti-pop until I realised she wasn't exactly against child birth (it's the apocalypse she's against) but rather naming children - sort of.

Well I suppose naming things is an act of appropriation. It's the tyranny of nouns and adjectives. As if we didn't have enough to worry about. Moving on now...
Posted by Cheryl, Tuesday, 22 February 2011 8:33:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oh, how wonderful that someone has stood up against Bogan spelling of good names! Were I dictator, there would be only certain names allowed and they would be Faith and not Faythe, Jade and not Jayde etc. And while we're about it, could all those named Aaron please use the long 'a' (as in air) - as in Aaron Copeland or Moses's brother Aaron - and not the short 'a'? Though I think I've lost that particular battle...
Posted by popnperish, Tuesday, 22 February 2011 8:58:37 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
'a research fellow in the Department of Culture and Communications '

I suggest more research. Especially into communication.

What on earth was all that about.

Here. Have a biscuit. Cheer up love.
Posted by Houellebecq, Tuesday, 22 February 2011 12:03:52 PM
I must confess a secret hope that Faith changes her name to Traycee on her 18th birthday ...
Posted by Rhian, Tuesday, 22 February 2011 4:35:54 PM
"Faith" is a beautiful name Liz.

It is the most wonderous time in your life at the moment therefore capture all of these precious moments with your heart. Enjoy and share your moments about your bubs and family! I had chosen my children's names however their father didn't like the names [as first names] and had already chosen other names, keeping them to himself, until the time arrived!

I agreed and chose their second names and all worked out well.

Other names I have loved are Alexandria, Christie, Sarah, Mark, David, Leo and Leanne.
Posted by weareunique, Tuesday, 22 February 2011 8:10:00 PM
I’m against it.

Having children.

I suggest a complete ban until we clean it up what they are being bought in to.

In the meantime I will settle for a ban on children being named after cars and sports products. I know a Ford, a Farlane, an Adidas, a Lexus and one family who have Hope, Destiny, Cherish, Faith and Charity.

Aw and one Satan... yep a precious little baby who mummy and daddy named Satan. Talk about laugh...
Posted by Jewely, Wednesday, 23 February 2011 8:42:53 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy