The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Ageing gracefully > Comments

Ageing gracefully : Comments

By Andrew Leigh, published 17/2/2011

In the last 40 years centenarians have inceased 2,000 per cent in number - where will it end?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Where will it end? - in the churchyard for the gospel folk.
As for the Author trying to rack up speed of the population-growth/immigration escalator, perhaps it is unlikely to end with a halo.

Yes, oldies are increasing - but the horrors of a changing working/dependent ratio are both overplayed and presented with less than integrity.

At some stage demographic stability will be achieved. When will that arrive? - in the next generation, the one after that, ---?, and the ratio of dependents to the taxables will settle down, hopefully; and we will have to adjust to it. Otherwise, ever-chasing the end of the author’s rainbow will take us generation by generation (at present rates of growth) from a present approx. 22.5 million through 40, 80, ---million, with (on the author’s logic) an ever-increasing need for rate of growth.
The dependency ratio has not changed much in the last few decades, in spite of worry-warts like the author. From the Bureau of Statistics (ABS 3105.0.65.001) the percentage of Australia’s population listed as being in the dependency age groups, at five year intervals from 1950 to 2010, stands at: 26%, 29, 30, 28, 29, 27, 26, 24, 22, 21, 20, 19%.

Yes, that view of dependency you have to work it out for yourself: Old age is flagged as the wearying one, but the stats are split into three dependency-age groups. These are the ever-costly youngsters (0-14 years of age), the cheap-workforce golden oldies doing Granny duties etc. (65-84), and the sometimes costly few (85 and older). When the “dependency” groups are added together, the ratios are improving. Let’s face up to the realities regarding whatever difficulties are inherent in them, not be panicked into deferring to our grandchildren the ever-present and increasing danger of infrastructure, social, and environmental resource problems embedded in a devious push for greater population pressure.
Posted by colinsett, Thursday, 17 February 2011 10:09:17 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I used to be a federal public servant in Australia for 17 years (ATO) till I retired at age 63 in 2008 then came to the Philippines with my wife and son so he could finish his education here. The super payout was barely enough for us to get a house (and still unfinished!)and a good private high school education for him.

But I now find myself in a bind: I'm quite fit and in excellent health but if I wanted to work, I'd have to return to Australia and put up with employers' and other peoples' prejudices, and my chances of actually finding some decent work would probably be buckley's!

I think this will be more and more the case, and whilst organisations like D.O.M.E. in S.A. are doing something about it, the problem will only exacerbate. There's an awful lot of expertise going to waste because of ageism: can the country afford to maintain such backward attitudes?
Posted by SHRODE, Thursday, 17 February 2011 12:06:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree with colinsett - the fact that we're ageing should not be an excuse for ever more people. Surely increased longevity is a good thing anyway, as long as it is accompanied by reasonable health. Let us not underestimate the importance of retired grandparents who can step in and care for the children when needed. And try and run any voluntary organisation these days without those in the 65-84 year bracket - nothing would happen! If needs be, we can all work - at least part-time - until we're 70. If there are another 15 years of retirement after that - that's more than most of our grandfathers had.
Posted by popnperish, Thursday, 17 February 2011 12:17:34 PM
Shrode is the one with the backward attitudes. He wants decent work!
Posted by a597, Thursday, 17 February 2011 1:07:11 PM
Age gracefully! The hell with that.

I'm going to have the hundredth birthday party, with the biggest carbon foot print ever seen.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 18 February 2011 12:13:45 AM
Why not work till ya drop. Who is giving you the right to retire and live off the community purse. Some retire but don't get a pension. Self sufficiency is the end game. Make hay while the moon is full. The wages people are getting now there should be no excuse, to put your hand out for welfare.
Posted by 579, Friday, 18 February 2011 3:21:45 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy