The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Be a Real Man > Comments

Be a Real Man : Comments

By Mary Elias, published 31/1/2011

Portrayals of violence against women can never be condoned, not even on artistic grounds.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
[Deleted for abuse and commenter suspended.]
Posted by Antiseptic, Monday, 31 January 2011 5:37:47 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"The producers of this clip should really watch an episode of Criminal Minds, as it does not take much to realise that a person who enjoys eroticised sexual images has the makings of a violent criminal."

You get your information about violent criminals from WATCHING A FICTIONAL TV SHOW?!
Posted by person, Monday, 31 January 2011 5:40:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If no action is taken ( as wasn't done with earlier dumb$hit pop music) then this type of video will become accepted as normal viewing in no time at all.
The problem is, who has to take action ? We have people who are charged with checking on such media but don't do anything & then we have people who take action but then get charged for doing so. Society is indeed a mindless mob.
Posted by individual, Monday, 31 January 2011 6:58:24 AM
Have you actually watched the video,Ms Elias?

There are just as many scenes of women inflicting bloody violence upon men, it's pretty much equally distributed, however that isn't really the point.

The video is called "Monster." It's from an album called *My beautiful dark twisted fantasy.* Now there's a clue.

It's about, among other things, the singers' perceptions of the rapacious, vampirish nature of the music industry. It's about race. Its about, as the lyrics would tell you if you read them all, the desperate desire for love rather than exploitation.

Would you rather they were all eating cornflakes at the kitchen table?

You ask: *After all, this is exactly the message that we would all like to pass onto teenage boys - that women are dehumanised objects that men should treat with violence for their own sexual pleasure - is it not?*

a)No it isn't.
b) It is also about female violence against men, and
c) I have some faith both in teenage boys and adult males that they can distinguish between fantasy monsters and reality.

Far worse things happened in Grimm's fairy tales. Cooking children, cutting open stomachs, chopping off hands....

Now you, Melinda Tankard Reist, and your cohorts want to get the video banned because you can only see it from your own perspective, ignoring any other, and there are many.

Why, I would like to know, should you feel that your perspective ought to be the dominant one, and that you have the right to impose censorship on everybody else?

Human beings have our dark sides. Far better that it is expressed than repressed - that is one of the functions of music and art.

And how anyone could find anything erotic in this video is beyond me. Necrophilia does not have the universal appeal you seem to attribute to it, and I don't see it catching on anytime soon because of KanYe West.
Posted by briar rose, Monday, 31 January 2011 7:04:17 AM
Far worse things happened in Grimm's fairy tales. Cooking children, cutting open stomachs, chopping off hands....
briar rose,
I don't believe it to be realistic to draw parallels between the written word in a child-like fashion for a child's mind & the intensely realistic graphics of a violent video. I'm sure if you take the average child i.e. of non-academic parents, and you let it read about the wolf eating people it would hardly lose a moments sleep as only an imagined image is stored in the subconscience. However, play a violent video & there will be subsequent nightmares for the average child. Therein lies the difference. Short-term fright story vs long-term damage.
Posted by individual, Monday, 31 January 2011 7:28:50 AM
The author is notably silent about Gabriella Cilmi's clip for 'Sweet about me'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvuyYj5ROmk
Posted by Clownfish, Monday, 31 January 2011 7:47:37 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy