The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > My reaction to the floods? Couldn’t care less > Comments

My reaction to the floods? Couldn’t care less : Comments

By Brian Holden, published 17/1/2011

No matter how flooded citizens in a wealthy country are, national wealth will still keep them pretty dry.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
it is strange how those far far more horrific floods in Pakistan took up so little coverage, but that's the power of the mass media.

it is up to us individually to focus on what's important, what's urgent, and what's trivial and to do what we can where we can and leave the rest to the mercy of God.
Posted by SHRODE, Monday, 17 January 2011 8:26:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Why NOT build dams? Is it because the Greens fear we might upset some lowly life form? After all, the Greens who chant the mindless "no Dams" mantra believe humans are a blight on the planet anyway.

Apparently, the Greens believe that saving one habitat of the lungfish is more important than preventing human death and misery.

Dams aren't meant to cope with ALL possible floods, but they do mitigate the extent of the disasters and they hold the water for times of drought-

Remember the drought?

NO dams will be built and we will go through this all again, simply because the Labor Party has formed an unholy alliance with the Greens.
Posted by Atman, Monday, 17 January 2011 8:56:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Shrode advises that we should “do what we can where we can and leave the rest to the mercy of God.” Wasn’t it God who sent the floods in the first place? Or was he just as much taken by surprise as the rest of us?
Posted by GlenC, Monday, 17 January 2011 9:24:36 AM
I was shocked by the blunt approach to what is a tragedy for many - but I do agree with so much of what was said.

Nevertheless I hesitated to post a comment because I don’t want to be associated with this callousness, and also because the author could not resist pushing another barrow.

On one hand he condemns our relative carelessness about greater suffering elsewhere in the world while on the other he says Australia is overpopulated & presumably should lock up the borders.

I reject such callousness dressed up as integrity - too much for me to ignore.

In agreeing with the author's main point, I also risk being associated with anti ecology attitudes in the comment by Atman and the inference by SHRODE that God should be relied on to save us from our ignorance and callousness. I reject those ideas too, but in commenting at all I am obviously going to find myself among wolves.
Posted by landrights4all, Monday, 17 January 2011 9:50:17 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
That's okay, Landrights, not many issues are simply either/or, there are usually too many complexities involved, and the best approach is to put forward as many alternatives as possible and argue them out, without name-calling and easy dichotomising.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Monday, 17 January 2011 10:01:20 AM
What a load of sanctimonious BS. This is the tired and ridiculous "people care more about their dogs than they do about other people" diatribe. Funny how it's always the most embittered and cynical who
spout it. The world is full of people who care. BH just isn't one of them.
Posted by dgo, Monday, 17 January 2011 10:26:34 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy