The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Lights off: Part II > Comments

Lights off: Part II : Comments

By Kellie Tranter, published 11/1/2011

NSW has lost a substantial source of recurrent revenue but been left with public ownership of the ageing assets.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Just by way of getting this article onto the index page, from where one can get the article to automatically concurrently display in another tab once one is viewing the comments, let me say thank you, Kellie Tranter, for 'Lights Off: Part 2', if only for what was the news, at least to me, about the Cobbora Mine 'gift' that is evidently part of Eric Roozendaal's 'midnight special' deal.

Kellie Tranter informs us, under her sub-heading 'The official line: Roozendaal’s midnight special', that:

"Roozendaal conceded that although the sale
is worth $5.3 billion the proceeds have to
pay for the $2.3 billion Cobbora Coal Mine,
which the private sector demanded so the sale
would go ahead. It is designed to prop up the
“currently state owned” power generators whose
electricity trading rights were sold.
So the end result of the fire sale seems to be
that our assets have been sold at a price that
may leave a paltry $3 billion to disappear into
consolidated revenue, the State has lost a
substantial source of recurrent revenue and the
people of NSW have been left with public ownership
of the ageing assets - existing power stations and
electricity transmission and distribution networks
(the poles and wires) that still need to be upgraded
or replaced. According to Premier Keneally the NSW
Government is investing more than $9 million every
single day in maintaining and upgrading the state’s
power supply, and over five years the NSW Government
will spend $17.9 billion on electricity infrastructure
to support our growing population and to secure the
NSW power supply for the state’s families. Where’s
that money going to come from now?"

Only $3 billion nett from the sale! What a joke!

Cui bono?

The quote that opened 'Lights out: Part 1' bears repeating:

“The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable…”
Posted by Forrest Gumpp, Tuesday, 11 January 2011 12:18:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Both articles & some of the excellent comments can be summerised thus.

Having seen this policy tried, tested, in VIC & QLD, proven, beyond all reasonable doubt to be a failure, assett loser, price increaser.

They can now press ahead their Closet Communist, plan for economic sabotage & treason.
Posted by Formersnag, Tuesday, 11 January 2011 3:07:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Kellie Tranter,

If you have not already done so, could you possibly orchestrate your being subpoenaed to testify before the NSW Legislative Council inquiry into the NSW power sell-off?

I note a discrepancy between the value of the Cobbora coal mine as you have stated it in your article of around $2.3 billion, and a claim in the reporting of the proceedings of the inquiry to date that has its value at around only $1.05 billion. I just wonder whether the inquiry is getting the full, or correct, picture. There seems to exist a dearth of persons capable of asking penetrating questions in this area.

The apparent discrepancy seems all the more important in the light of a report that only a nett $340 million will go into consolidated revenue, as things stand, from what is being described as a fire-sale. That figure appears to have been calculated using the $1.05 billion valuation for the Cobbora mine. The apparent $1.2 billion discrepancy, if real, would totally wipe out this miserable $340 million nett yield for the NSW taxpayer.

I sense a lawyer's caution as to how you express yourself in your articles in this arena, and a desire perhaps to see others draw, and state, the conclusions toward which the evidence appears as if it may lead.

Can I suggest there is not time for this to occur, if such conclusions are to be responsibly, as opposed to simply accusatorily, framed? Were you able to air your observations under parliamentary privilege, you may be able to make up for the miserable lack of parliamentary opposition either not undertaken, or not reported, on this issue.

I was a little perplexed by the line taken in this post to 'Lights off: Part 1', http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?article=11452#195004 , until I noted your disclosure of intent to run as an independent candidate in the upcoming NSW elections in the Electoral District of Maitland. Your testifying, if it can be arranged, under privilege, before the inquiry might set such concerns to rest.
Posted by Forrest Gumpp, Wednesday, 19 January 2011 8:11:36 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy