The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Possessed by possessions? > Comments

Possessed by possessions? : Comments

By Karen Treanor, published 30/12/2010

Enough can be as good as plenty if you try hard enough.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Great article and so much truth! Guilty as charged sometimes. However like to think I have pretty good handle on the tastes and needs of my nearest and dearest when considering gift choices and if in any doubt - Gift Vouchers RULE!

Recieved unwanted/unsuitable gifts - if they can't be exchanged or refunded can also be re-gifted - carefully.

Like the writer I occasionally get nostalgic over an earlier simpler lifestyle. Compared to contempory kids (and even my own in late 20s & 30s) my siblings and I had virtually nothing. We grew up in a fairly isolated rural setting and had our places in the running of things from very early age. However I would not swap my lovely wild, reckless and free childhood for all the technology, gadgetry, toys and sophisticated organised childhood development in the world.

Time for a bit of readjustment of values and needs vs wants. Could make for a happier healthier society!

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all
Posted by divine_msn, Thursday, 30 December 2010 8:46:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Nothing is enough to someone for whom what is enough is little."
Posted by mikk, Thursday, 30 December 2010 10:51:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks Karen for a refreshing and sensible article. If everyone made some moves towards your approach more good would be done for the environment that 50 more Green religous fests like CopenHagen and Mexico. We are a very blessed nation.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 30 December 2010 11:05:06 AM
There probably wouldn't be a reader that didn't agree with the tone of this article by Karen.

As the comments to date suggest there is an underlying wish for a simpler life, less dictated to by advertising, competition between groups and even family members. Sadly, all of the accepted practices are now part of the 'norm' and would be even taught in business studies at institutions that have themselves succumbed to the new rules making our current way of life entrenched.

In ten years when things become even more crass and commercial, such courses will be modified to encompass all the new deteriorations since the ones we have identified today and another new 'norm' will emerge.

Sounds frightening. But I, like many others can remember a simpler life when what you owned was not judged as a standard for others to emulate, or vice versa.

As creative as I feel that I am, sometimes, a solution does not come easily to my thinking. One only has to think of our current banking situation with the aim of more, more and even more profit, return on funds employed, etc., to know how we are driven and how greed is rewarded.
Posted by Rhys Stanley, Thursday, 30 December 2010 12:11:38 PM
I love your proverb Mikk, so true.
Posted by we are unique, Thursday, 30 December 2010 10:08:22 PM
Wonderful post - my family have decided that enough stuff is enough, and we now seek to give each other experiences as gifts. My Mum and Dad got tickets to see West Side Story, and close up animal encounters at the Zoo. These are things they would never spend money on themselves for (and never really had the money when they were raising us to do so), but of course thoroughly enjoy!

Your readers might be interested in a recently produced report on this, titled (what else?) 'Enough is Enough', the proceedings from a conference on Steady State economics held in the UK in June this year:

http://steadystate.org/enough-is-enough
Posted by cruxcatalyst, Thursday, 30 December 2010 11:07:52 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy