The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The apostrophe joins the endangered list > Comments

The apostrophe joins the endangered list : Comments

By Michelle Smith, published 20/12/2010

Soon grocers' signs might be the only place you can see an apostrophe in the wild, and that would be all wrong.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
I suppose the endangered apostrophe will cause more confusion when it finally becomes extinct,perhaps English speakers will have to use 'of' instead and abandon contractions, like other less sophisticated laguages.

One generation's illiteracy is the next generation's standard English.
Posted by mac, Monday, 20 December 2010 10:26:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Don't worry Michelle, I have heard there's an army of Dickensian old codgers bunkered down under libraries all over the globe, safely ensconced while the language wars rage above. They are watching and waiting, ready to emerge into the postapocalyptic hellscape to repopulate the English language with all manner of apostrophes and miscellaneous grammatical symbols, as well as correcting the use of "I" as a direct object pronoun back to its use as an indirect object pronoun. We will then witness a New Dawn and the eradication of the blight that is inflicting untold damage across the internet and now society as a whole.

Or so I'm told.
Posted by Bugsy, Monday, 20 December 2010 11:26:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm a member of the 'Save the Apostrophe Foundation' but unfortunately I don't know of any other members in Australia. Is there anyone else out there who would like to join? Membership is free and the only rule is that members must always point out, and attempt to have corrected, any incorrect use of the apostrophe whenever and wherever they see it so used. I'm thinking for running for political office on this issue but I need a nice catchy slogan such as 'Apostrophes Rule, OK?' but I'd welcome alternative suggestions.
To join the Foundation, all you have to do is write a new post on OLO or send a message to my facebook site.
Bernie Masters
Posted by Bernie Masters, Monday, 20 December 2010 11:44:49 AM
Street Pilot has a problem with the apostrophe and for some that is probably the closest they come to reading English literature, apart from advertising signs of course. Then there is Internet gaming and 'texting'. Books are on the endangered list and that comes ahead of saving the apostrophe.

The best fight-back is to give books at Christmas and yes, if one tries very hard there are a few new adventure books for boys despite the deluge of wizardry and witchcraft pap.

May there be more articles like this.
Posted by Cornflower, Monday, 20 December 2010 12:09:33 PM
So, Michelle, you won't mind my suggesting that it would have been better to write 'greengrocer's (rather than greengrocers') apostrophe'. Think of nursemaid's knee, mother's ruin and plumber's crack.

No need to think of the last of those if it's too distasteful, which on reflection it probably is.
Posted by DNB, Monday, 20 December 2010 12:14:18 PM
Here's a thought, Bernie Masters.

>>I need a nice catchy slogan such as 'Apostrophes Rule, OK?' but I'd welcome alternative suggestions.<<

How about "Apostrophes 'r' Us"?
Posted by Pericles, Monday, 20 December 2010 12:47:55 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy