The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Intellect, belief, faith and spiritual life > Comments

Intellect, belief, faith and spiritual life : Comments

By Stephen Crabbe, published 15/12/2010

The church of the future needs fewer beliefs, more faith, and an understanding of the difference.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Stephen, an interesting piece and I like the way your mind works around some of the 'belief' boundaries to expand those boundaries about how one defines faith.

May I take two paragraphs from your article:

"The Church will become a more fitting vessel for the Spirit when it gives far less emphasis to beliefs, far more emphasis to faith, and cultivates an understanding of the difference."

This statement fits well with the one in relation to panentheists and I think much more in tune with the natural world ie. the real world in which we live. The idea of a symbiotic relationships or a state of harmony (as I might define it) or the idea of "God" (I wouldn't use that term necessarily) being a part of all living things.

"...- not only more than us, but also utterly with us. They spoke of many other “thin places”, such as certain forest glades, streams, and mountains. But they can also be non-geographical contexts like singing a special song, the birth of a child, or a particular graveyard. Many Christians today are re-discovering the panentheistic worldview. Recognition of the value of “thin places” in spiritual life, along with much less acceptance of dogma and literal truth of scriptures, is making a considerable impact on the practices of many modern churches. This direction could lead to what Tacey calls the “re-enchantment” that so many Australians hunger for."

I see that yearning too Stephen, not only among Christians who are re-evaluating what it means to be Christian. As an atheist I hope that there is a move to further discussions and thoughts about what it means to be human and how we interact not only with each other, but all living things. How each and every living thing and their wellbeing is inextricably linked both in the physical and the 'spiritual'.
Posted by pelican, Wednesday, 15 December 2010 12:43:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is obviously a struggle for you, Stephen.

>>Being what many call “an unbeliever”, how can I retain any integrity as a member of a church regularly reciting with the congregation the Apostles’ Creed?<<

The answer is, of course, that you cannot. You either do, or do not, believe what you are saying. If you try to steer a course between, you quickly find yourself resorting to arguments that are very, very thin indeed.

>>The origin of 'credo' was a combination of two ancient words for 'give' and 'heart'. Credo thus meant 'I give my heart to'.<<

There's the first impossible stretch.

The origin of the word "mackerel" is "maquerel", meaning pimp, or procurer.

Clearly, etymology is only useful up to a point. And turning the simple "I believe" into the more complicated, emotionally freighted "I give my heart to", is more than a step too far.

>>'Credo in unum Deum ...' is a passionate utterance about your identity in relation to the Other, about who you are 'in your heart' and how you intend to live.<<

Sorry, that is entirely fanciful.

It actually does mean "I believe in one God".

Given the history of religions, I'd strongly suggest that it is actually the number cited - "one" - that is the key component.

One can only admire your struggle to reinterpret religion in your own image, though.

"Thus, while we cannot consider the Creed as a statement of logical and empirical truth, it does have great value as a tool of faith."

Hmmm. Fact is, there is no logical and empirical truth in any part of religion. In this context, it implies that you have a special requirement to relegate the Creed, specifically, to a position where you can choose not to believe in it.

The obvious next step, Stephen, is to accept that you don't actually - believe any of it. And that you and the Anglican Church have gone as far as it is possible to go together, and it is time for you to part amicably.

You can even say "Listen, it's not you. it's me."
Posted by Pericles, Wednesday, 15 December 2010 1:37:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
i must assume your genuinly confused
seemingly..because of things like creeds

but then also..as to gods nature...then things like faith...as rationalised by belief..[your trying too hard]

the key is...to keep it simple..[kids get god best]
living a spiritual life..is as simple as loving neighbour
[or at least not judging anyone]...

and try to help others
[or at least..not hinder them]...

its not you..that is needed...
to judge anyone..[especially not yourself]

you being saved...can save others
[this is the parrable/lesson of the servants..gifted money]

the clue to god...is his creation
remove god from it...and there is nothing

god is best comprehended...by 'you shall call him emmanuel'
god with us...[as in god is with.[in]...us..[ALL]
sustaining..even the most vile..their life

think of god as that nurture...inherant in nature

the life supporting essences..in light
the purest love...that sustains all living...by his light

keep it simple..you cant do anything..
but do it..to..for/against god within..them..[and you]..
good..[god]..with..[in]..sustaining them their life..

thus we are all of the light
but not the light

you show..you get god..
by serving to the good..all that..of god...[good]
Posted by one under god, Wednesday, 15 December 2010 2:08:48 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Pelly quotes:

"The Church will become a more fitting vessel for the Spirit when it gives far less emphasis to beliefs, far more emphasis to faith, and cultivates an understanding of the difference."

Indeed.. faith without works...is dead. (James) There should NOT be a difference between faith and beliefs (and works)..they all go together.

Pericles (for a change) is on the money here.

//The answer is, of course, that you cannot. You either do, or do not, believe what you are saying. If you try to steer a course between, you quickly find yourself resorting to arguments that are very, very thin indeed.//

Exactly!

All we need do now is bring dear Pericles onto the right side of that equation... into true saving faith.
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Wednesday, 15 December 2010 3:42:59 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
When the last Christian turns the lights out in the last church and turns to take a look back at the trappings of their spiritual 'progress' through the twenty-first century they will see this written above the altar:

"We had to destroy God in order to save him."

Do you honestly think your non-existent but oh-so-important God is really fooling anyone?
Posted by Jon J, Wednesday, 15 December 2010 6:47:26 PM
@ Jon J, but if God doesn't exist, who's gonna tell me how to behave and what to think. Can everyone do what ever they want? Or, in your utopia will will someone like you be telling people what to do?

When I pray to you, should I face North, South, East or West?
Posted by TRUTHNOW78, Thursday, 16 December 2010 12:37:09 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy