The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Revenge of the godless geeks - The Amazing Meeting 2010 > Comments

Revenge of the godless geeks - The Amazing Meeting 2010 : Comments

By Chrys Stevenson, published 8/12/2010

Contrary to Cardinal Pell’s poorly-informed jibes, sceptics lead lives filled with purpose motivated by love for fellow humans.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All
An excellent, well written article. Like the author, I too am a godless geek; an atheist, like most atheists I know, with ethics.
Posted by Vonnie A, Wednesday, 8 December 2010 9:22:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
another great piece from Chrys; as always her work is direct and honest without being unfairly judgemental-highly commendable!! thanks for pointing out all of the volunteer work that goes into this movement for change. we should never forget the unpaid work of Chrys and all of other secular activists and spokespeople...individually and collectively we can all make a difference to the world, thanks Chrys! she also has a blog that many are following: "Gladly, the Cross-Eyed Bear" at: http://thatsmyphilosophy.wordpress.com

Chrys is a real voice of reason and highly regarded and respected by many!

keep writing Chrys, we are listening!
Posted by Jodie Hawthorne, Wednesday, 8 December 2010 9:22:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Wow, it sounds like a wonderful and worthwhile meeting. I will make to the next one no matter what. As for being a Nazi I am not Catholic like Hitler so I don't see the connection at all, and I am very tried of stupid statements that have no foundation from people like Pell. My life, which is godless, is full of purpose and caring for others, I don't need a god to tell me how to be "good". As for the the Stop the Austrian Vaccination Network, they are true HEROES. My friend had a baby this year and info had been past to her about the AVN and she was reconsidering if she should have her son vaccinated. It was at this time that I post some things from Stop the AustralianVaccination Network on my Facebook page and she realised that what the AVN was saying was insane. This helped her to inform her first mum's group, which means that is 10 babies were saved from AVN insanity.
Finally Chyrs this article as always is interesting and provides so much great info. Thanks
Posted by CarolWoc, Wednesday, 8 December 2010 9:24:39 AM
Another beautifully written, reasonable and well-reasoned piece from Chrys.
Posted by anaminx, Wednesday, 8 December 2010 9:45:23 AM
Cardinal Pell?

Surely no one outside the the staff of The Australian would even waste five seconds on this unxtian character?

Pell seems to believe that, outside of the Vatican's evil grip on people, organisations like the Salvo's are the way to go:
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/salvation-army-says-sorry-for-abuse-20101207-18o2c.html

There are not too many non-believing groups who can outshine the religious for their thoughtful expressions of the Jesus True Love.

This is what the Generalissimo, flown out all the way from the UK, in a tightly controlled media event, had to say about the 'everyone loves the Salvos' efforts:

"In the event that was closed to the media, the Salvation Army acknowledged the 'rigid, harsh and authoritarian' environment inside many of its homes.

"Many children did not experience the gentleness of love that they needed," the apology, later distributed to media, read.

"Some children suffered abuse and deprivation. As a result their stories are full of hurt, rejection, discouragement and a failure to realise potential"

Yes, Cardinal Pell and his Jesus Prayer Warriors would know ALL about 'love' and 'tolerance' wouldn't they?

Which is why the latest nonsense to promote religion in state schools, in WA, is so dangerous and upsetting:

http://www.bunburymail.com.au/news/local/news/general/bunbury-chaplains-take-on-disaster-support-role/2019197.aspx

Here is Youthcare on the NSCA list..
http://schoolchaplaincy.org.au/about-nsca/

What they get away with in WA via the NSCP..
http://www.youthcare.org.au/Inner-Text/chaplaincy.html
Posted by The Blue Cross, Wednesday, 8 December 2010 10:02:39 AM
Brilliant summation of the meeting Chrys.
Posted by mochuck, Wednesday, 8 December 2010 10:21:39 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy