The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Palestine, UNESCO and Legal Realities > Comments

Palestine, UNESCO and Legal Realities : Comments

By David Singer, published 16/11/2010

Palestinians are trying to obliterate any sense of Jewish history in the West Bank.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
thnak god for Israel...a beacon of sanity in the middle east. Until the arabs state that they believe Israel has the right to exist, there will be no long term peace. I wouldn't be too happy if my next door neighbour wanted to exterminate me
Posted by peter piper, Tuesday, 16 November 2010 9:06:40 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Nice.
The world is more and more coming to see the reality of the situation is the middle east and how much of it is driven by zionists like Mr Singer here.
For too long has the world turned a blind eye, like they said they never would again after what happened in WWII, but now the tide has turned and no matter how much you bleat David the expansion will end. Israel will finally have to set its borders and the Palestinians will have a state of their own. Im sure that wont be the end of it but it will be a start.
Posted by mikk, Tuesday, 16 November 2010 9:48:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I admit I do not possess detailed knowledge of all that goes on in the Israel/Palestine saga. But I find the mention of "Jewish rights" in the article a little unnerving. If we go back in history far enough...what about "Catholic rights" to most of Italy or "Islamic rights" to parts of Spain? Why stop at religion? "English rights" to most of France...

I have no qualms with Israel, despite internal issues it remains a free and democratic nation but the issue of peace (in whatever form that takes) seems to always be derailed by the construction of new settlements. As with Cyprus, the issue of property rights from people who fled across the border is an issue that remains unsolved. As for religious sites...is it really that hard for all parties to share their ownership and subsequent responsibilities? Sometimes reminds of toddlers.

I realise negotiations may be done differently in the Middle East, due to cultural and historical norms, but this saga has been going on for decades! At least we should be grateful that the sides keep talking with each other but can we really expect to see any form of agreement in our lifetimes?

The US, Europe, UN have spent countless hours (over so many years) and resources on this issue. Is this the best use of everyone's time? Perhaps in a few more decades, when (if predictions are correct) Middle East oil is not such a vital component of our economies will we see new developments...Perhaps not?

http://currentglobalperceptions.blogspot.com/
Posted by jorge, Tuesday, 16 November 2010 1:00:36 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
# jorge

Why do you find the mention of "Jewish rights" unnerving?

You only have to go back to 1920 to find when those rights were created in international law when the League of Nations unanimously agreed to the reconstitution of the Jewish National Home in Palestine after 2000 years of occupation by a host of different conquerors. Palestine comprised a mere 0.001% of the Ottoman Empire lost by Turkey to Britain and France as a result of World War 1

At the very same time "Arab rights" were created in the remaining 99.99% of the conquered Ottoman Empire in the form of Mandates for Syria and Mesopotamia giving the Arabs living there the similar right to self determination after 400 years of Ottoman occupation.

The Arab States of Lebanon, Syria, Saudi Arabia and Iraq were subsequently created pursuant to the Arab Mandates. Jordan was created from the Mandate for Palestine.

Of course these crucial facts are totally ignored by Arab propagandists who never refer to the vast area of land opened up to them for self determination but only concentrate on the sliver of land given for Jewish self-determination which they have vehemently opposed since the Mandate for Palestine was created.

The Arab refusal to accept this division of the Ottoman Empire by the League of Nations is the root cause of the current conflict.

Understanding this inability of the Arabs to give the Jews such an infinitesmal share of the Ottoman pie - and still exhibiting such greed in 2010 might enable you to look at the conflict in a different light and understand how this continuing intransigence is the enduring obstacle to peace.

(To be continued
Posted by david singer, Tuesday, 16 November 2010 5:27:06 PM
# To jorge - Part 2

You state:

"but the issue of peace (in whatever form that takes) seems to always be derailed by the construction of new settlements."

Your understanding is incorrect.

There were no settlements in 1937 when the Peel Committee recommended partition, nor in 1947 when the UN recommended partition - both of which were accepted by the Jews and rejected by the Arabs.

There were no settlements between 1948-1967 when the West Bank and Gaza were occupied by Jordan and Egypt and the Arabs could have with the stroke of a pen created the independent and Jew free State of Palestine they now are negotiating in 2010. 60 years of fighting and bloodshed that could have been avoided by Arab action without Jewish approval has been the result.

Certainly the settlements complicate a solution but remember - Jews had the legal right to settle in the West Bank pursuant to the Mandate for Palestine and article 80 of the UN Charter and have continued to do so in ever increasing numbers since 1967 as the Arabs refused to negotiate with or recognize Israel after the Six Day War.

Settlements would not have occurred on the territorial landscape if the Arabs had grabbed the baton between 1937-1967 and accepted the opportunities given to them to compromise.

They have indeed become the architects of their own misfortune. They have no one but themselves to blame for their current situation as a result of so many missed opportunities.

I agree that the inordinate amount of international time and effort - not to mention the billions of dollars ploughed into the region - could have been better spent elsewhere. If this latest effort by Obama fails they should leave the parties to their own devices and deal with far more dangerous issues such as Darfur, Yemen, Pakistan, Myanmar, Iraq, Iran and Afghanistan
Posted by david singer, Tuesday, 16 November 2010 5:42:29 PM
I'm not sure why the editors of OLO publish so many of Singer's articles.

David,

You always seems so concerned with Israel. Wouldn't you be happier if you just moved there?

My advice would be to wait until Iran gets the bomb. When Israel is confronted with an opponent who can actually fight back, it will decide peace is the best option. Until then, I guess you will keep banging on about Israel from the safety of Oz. Good luck.
Posted by dane, Tuesday, 16 November 2010 6:41:29 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy