The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Lest we forget: The Coniston Massacre > Comments

Lest we forget: The Coniston Massacre : Comments

By Amanda Midlam, published 11/11/2010

What was the Coniston massacre? Lest We Forget became Best We Forget as Australia developed amnesia.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. All
This may not be directly "on point" but I am constantly hearing the preface to TV and other media that Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander may be caused distress seeing images or hearing names of deceased persons. Is this phenomena a universal thing amongst all indigenous groups? Or is it just a habit that has been formed amongst people who feel obliged to say it? I only ask because if it is the former then isn't this proof positive that there was once a homogeneous indigenous society across all of Australia.
Posted by bitey, Thursday, 11 November 2010 10:10:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bitey,

Thirty five-odd years ago, I was living in a community here in southern SA. Funerals were very common: I think I must have gone to fifty at least, in four years, in fact, helped to dig some of the graves. I was very careful in conversation not to mention the names of anybody who had died, but the local people, young and old, did not seem to have any such reservation. Old ladies would talk about their deceased husbands, children about their parents and uncles and aunts, using their names and nick-names with no hesitation.

But even now, I would avoid using people's names, Black or White, until it is very clear that their relations don't mind.

Sometimes however, I wonder if white people perpetuate myths about traditional Aboriginal cultural practices, which in turn Aboriginal people pick up on and propagate, and so on.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Thursday, 11 November 2010 10:57:18 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'd never heard of this before.
Thanks Amanda
Posted by Ozymandias, Thursday, 11 November 2010 11:12:31 AM
This article needs to be read in order to get a balanced view of history.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Gs71zqTbeEcJ:www.sydneyline.com/UNSW%2520debate.htm+%22historians+are+always+making&hl=en&gl=au&ct=clnk&cd=2
Posted by runner, Thursday, 11 November 2010 11:44:07 AM
Good article, and history lessons should indeed include some of our more deplorable historical events.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Thursday, 11 November 2010 1:21:40 PM
Thanks Joe ("Loudmouth" seems so impolite).
Posted by bitey, Thursday, 11 November 2010 1:40:52 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy