The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Angst over absence of action in Aboriginal affairs > Comments

Angst over absence of action in Aboriginal affairs : Comments

By Alan Austin, published 7/9/2010

Even before it is known who will form the next government despair is being felt over Indigenous affairs.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All
Once again the 'progressives" on Australia feel let down because they soaked up all the spin, all the words of a Labor leader once again expecting something to happen because of the big symbolic event - The Apology.

PM Rudd used the apology as a political tool, not because he believed in it, it was just a childish in your face exercise to humiliate the opposition.
Once it was done, it was done and no further capitol could be made of it.

His own staff did the infamous "turning of the back" on Brendan Nelson, and all the sycophants followed suit - what a giggle eh, that's real leadership that is. Statesman like, that's the kind of thing we want the world to see, the world we expect should follow suit when we do anything,(we're soooo important) wait till they see PM Rudd do the ETS thing .. oh wait.

No leadership, no depth, no commitment, that's exactly what conservatives said would happen. I'm not happy about being right this time, I didn't and don't agree with the reason for the apology, but I'm disappointed because it was divisive and not the nation building exercise it was touted as. It could have helped a whole lot of people get over what they had been told was their problem.

Mind you, ALP voters probably all voted for more of the same from the ALP, let's hope they get more of what they voted for eh.

Perhaps conservatives differ from progressives because we actually judge the actions of leaders, not just the words and the spin.
Posted by Amicus, Tuesday, 7 September 2010 9:49:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Interesting article in yesterday's SMH by Hugh Jackman along the lines that economic development, not empty gestures might be the key to solving 3rd world poverty. To quote:

History has shown development is possible, but not inevitable. Our challenge in the developed world is to help people to be more productively involved in the economy, to raise themselves out of poverty, and achieve a life with choices for their children - all without handouts. From what I have seen, economic development projects do work. They are the best answer to one of the biggest social issues of our time.

Makes you think don't it? Maybe we need more Noel Pearsons on the job?
Posted by bitey, Tuesday, 7 September 2010 10:26:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Wesley Aird has an interesting article in today's Australian - for those who would never read the Australian, it can be found here:
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/opinion/rhetoric-shades-tangible-plans/story-e6frg6zo-1225914993390

His article provokes the question: does the Left want to 'Close the Gap', or 'Maintain the Gap' ?

As Mr Aird writes, the vast majority of Indigenous people - his figure is 85 % - live near enough to towns and cities to seek work. At the last Census, around 45 % of ther Indigenous peopulation lived in metropolitan or large urban areas. Currently, more than 25,000 - one in every ten adults - are university graduates. 50,000 - one in six adults - by 2020.

I have to ask the Greens, for whom I've been handing out election material for ten years now: 'Do you envisage the rightful place for Aboriginal people to be standing on one leg, in a loincloth, spear in one hand, boomerang in the other, in some remote and inglorious spot ?'

I think Noel Pearson is right - the Coalition has more progressive policies in Indigenous affairs than Labor or the Greens.

And that thought disgusts me.
Posted by Loudmouth, Tuesday, 7 September 2010 10:41:28 AM
Yes Loudmouth, I agree, the irony is stunning.
Posted by bitey, Tuesday, 7 September 2010 10:47:21 AM
A good and timely article from Alan Austin. I agree that Indigenous issues have been woefully neglected by Australian goverments of both persuasions of late.

<< The Greens, while having a strong platform on paper, have raised with the leaders of the major parties only the symbolic matter of recognising Aborigines in the Constitution. >>

I think it's a bit premature to criticise the Greens at this stage. As you say, they have a comprehensive set of policies that address most, if not all, of the concerns you raise. At least they secured agreement from Labor for recognition in the Constitution, while I imagine that more pressure will be brought to bear once the new Senators enter parliament next year. The full set of policies on Indigenous Australians are to be found here:

http://greens.org.au/policies/care-for-people/aboriginal-and-torres-strait-islander-peoples

Joe/Loudmouth - you are kidding, aren't you? In what area/s is Coalition policy concerning Indigenous Australians better than that of the Greens?
Posted by CJ Morgan, Tuesday, 7 September 2010 12:59:27 PM
Excellent to hear Noel Pearson again being a voice of reason for the aboriginals. Don't you love it. Mt Pearson says

'ABORIGINAL leader Noel Pearson has urged key independent Rob Oakeshott to back Tony Abbott, describing the Liberal leader as a "once-in-a-generation" conservative who could lead the way on reconciliation.'

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/greens-alliance-threatens-aboriginal-wellbeing-pearson/story-e6frg6nf-122591502620
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 7 September 2010 1:05:51 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy