The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why a conscientious Christian could not vote for the Greens > Comments

Why a conscientious Christian could not vote for the Greens : Comments

By Bill Muehlenberg, published 18/8/2010

The Greens are a party fundamentally at odds with basic Christian values and concerns.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. All
godly values and godly policies? wrath? flood? stonings?

They seem to be actions "cavalier about human life" too, Bill.

Then there are the non-sequiturs and red-herrings of adoptive rights and same-sex marriage supposedly denying children's rights to their *own* mother and father, "radical social experiments", or Peter Singers philosophical ramblings about various contentious issues, being key points in an Australian election.

This superficial puff piece is immoral and unethical
Posted by McReal, Wednesday, 18 August 2010 9:02:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jesus wept! As if we didn't have more important issues than this.

Bill,you are stuck in your theological ditch.Best you get out more,laddie.
Posted by Manorina, Wednesday, 18 August 2010 9:08:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'd find this unbelievable, except that I've seen so much similar stuff before. A self-described Christian finds a party "radically deficient" when measured against the "teachings of biblical Christianity", without alluding to any of the following:

refugees,
overseas aid,
making war for reasons which may fairly be described as somewhere between unclear and non-existent,
climate change (in terms of our responsibility to future generations and the poorer countries which contribute less and suffer more)

And of course one of the sins mentioned most frequently in the Bible is deceit. In this regard, it is important to note the remarks

"the Greens want to completely gut these [ie, marriage and family] and replace them with ..."

I'm pretty sure this is a lie (though I'm willing to be convinced, but not by assertion, rather by clear evidence)
Posted by jeremy, Wednesday, 18 August 2010 10:24:12 AM
I am a Christian (and in my own words) conscientious, informed and involved. I am quite at peace in voting for the Greens and recommending that others do so. The one important fact that Bill mentioned is that no party in Australia at this time has a monopoly on Christian values.So far the Christian lobby has been dead silent on the issue of the mining tax. Perhaps showing a bit of leadership on this fundamental issue and standing up for the rights of all Australians to their resources would be valid Christian action. God has given the earth to the poor as well as the rich.We are not talking about genuine profits and return for effort here but the right to the whole rent for our resources. There are many ways of looking at things and it is most arrogant of Christian leaders to be telling people not to vote Green. They need to look humbly to their own corners. The Greens in this country add to the democratic voice.I say vote Green if you think their policies and their voice will add to the flourishing of democracy in this country.
Posted by Margaret, Wednesday, 18 August 2010 10:28:37 AM
The greens have policies to protect animals but to give women the right to abort their baby up to full term. As a Christian I am concerned about the environment but I am more concerned about the protection of human life from natural conception to natural death.

I only see an opposing policy from the greens. Why save trees, if there are no people to benefit from the clean air?

A protest vote against the main parties may deliver you Julia Gillard and her anti-Christian stance on life.

Ultimately on Saturday you will end up with a pro-life, Christian Tony Abbott or anti-life Julia Gillard. Christians, we need to examine our conscience on this issue not just blindly protest by voting green who have done a deal with the greens to deliver anti-life labor the government with the Greens only the balance of power in the senate. Remember each Senator has 6 years in the parliament.
Posted by Liz Unch, Wednesday, 18 August 2010 10:36:23 AM
Where were the "conscientious Christians" when the government was involved in illegal wars that killed thousands?
Why do they *still* apologise for world-wide institutionalised paedophilia?
Why do they support lies about contraception in Africa?
Why do they support ongoing undermining of rigorous knowledge? ("Create the controversy, teach the controversy!")
Why do they support policy that encourages wealth disparity?
Is gay marriage *really* more important than real deaths, real lies, real corruption and real ignorance?
Oh, and killing doctors for removing a few thousand cells that has *no* consciousness (far less than a cat or dog), but is "human" and therefore "sacred"...is just lunacy to those who know how natural fertility works.
Just admit it: you are playing for the Right and trying to sucker in folks based on the religious tribe they belong to.
It fits your creed, but don't expect us to respect your motives or methods.
Posted by Ozandy, Wednesday, 18 August 2010 10:44:50 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy