The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The complexity of the ‘Christian vote’ > Comments

The complexity of the ‘Christian vote’ : Comments

By Mark Stephens, published 11/8/2010

The 'Christian vote' ought to be about 'wise' government in the bibilical sense

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
"Wisdom in the Judeo-Christian tradition is found in the person who knows how to “do life” in various circumstances, because they have humbly committed themselves to understanding the created, ordered world that God has placed us in."

Which of the following religiously-motivated acts consists of displaying Judeo-Christian wisdom, I wonder:

Institutionalised paedophilia, mutilating the genitals of baby boys, kidnapping children to serve in one's personal army, denying human rights to gays and women, forcibly evicting settlers from their homes?

It is no coincidence that religious belief and lower IQ goes together. If you want 'wisdom' you will have to look elsewhere.
Posted by Jon J, Wednesday, 11 August 2010 7:25:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It continues to amaze me that given Christianity's record, these people still feel they have some right to make recommendations to the rest of the world.

I'm talking about the recent record, such as the sexual abuse of children, and the denial and concealment of that abuse by church authorities. I'm talking about the hostility towards women, and gays and lesbians. I'm talking about Christians' inability to get on with one another, let alone those of us who don't share their superstitions. I'm talking about the Christian insistence that everyone who is not Christian is somehow second class.

Christianity has no credibility left. I don't know what on earth it's got to do with Jesus Christ.

Attend to your own back yards, Christians, and then let's talk again.
Posted by briar rose, Wednesday, 11 August 2010 8:42:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Wisdom in the Judeo-Christian tradition is found in the person who knows how to “do life” in various circumstances, because they have humbly committed themselves to understanding the created, ordered world that God has placed us in."

"The created ordered world that God has placed us in"??

Sorry, which world is that again?

Must be the next one.
Posted by briar rose, Wednesday, 11 August 2010 8:48:03 AM
Considering that only 64% of Australians are Christian (with 10% encompassing every religious minority, and the remainder (25%) being atheists or not affiliated with any religion); and OF those Christians, barely any attend Church on a weekly, or even monthly basis, and thus would likely be secular themselves, I wouldn't be so quick to jump on "The Christian Vote" being a vote-spinner.
This isn't the USA with a gigantic conservative Baptist minority, and as most votes or policies that would single out "Christians" from another demographic tend to be broadly unpopular (anti-abortion, funding for private schools, euthanasia) it would be detrimental.
The only thing endorsing "Christianity" seems to woo secular voters is have an anti-Islamic ring to it.

Oh and I like the part "Do Pro-Life people REALLY only care about Abortion and Euthanasia, or do they sincerely care about all life/death issues?"
Nope- just abortion and euthanasia; sometimes Asylum seekers due to specific verses compelling them to it: plenty of commentators in the USA, and here (Tony Abbott being a noticable one) have shown considerable hostility to either free medicare/public funding for hospitals, James Hardy compensation, stem-cell research, and welfare handouts respectively.

It won't be the Christian votes that really helps, but so much the fact that nobody wants to (or realizes they can) vote for another party than the Libs or Labor.
Posted by King Hazza, Wednesday, 11 August 2010 9:53:04 AM
""In 2007, Australians didn’t know about the GFC. In 2000, Americans didn’t know about September 11. What the “Christian vote” ought to be about is “wise” government, in the biblical sense of wisdom. Wisdom in the Judeo-Christian tradition is found in the person who knows how to “do life” in various circumstances, because they have humbly committed themselves to understanding the created, ordered world that God has placed us in.""

Some Americans did know Sept 11 was "on the cards". The consequences of world-wide economic and fiscal policies after Sept 11 made the bubbles that made the GFC likely.

The rest of your paragraph sound like an appeal for a God to finally provide a crystal ball for Christians (perhaps a Christal Ball ??, or would that be a Christus Ball or a Chrestus Ball or both depending on the vagaries of the contemporary Jewish historians after the times of Christ and Jesus).

I bet "the whole process can be agonising."
Posted by McReal, Wednesday, 11 August 2010 10:00:31 AM
if a 'general wisdom about the world.' is who I should be voting for then I won't be voting for anyone on offer. Nor would it be the Pope, Rabi whoever or Ayatollah whatever.
Posted by Daviy, Wednesday, 11 August 2010 11:47:21 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy