The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Hung(a)ry for justice: butchered in Budapest > Comments

Hung(a)ry for justice: butchered in Budapest : Comments

By Jonathan J. Ariel, published 9/7/2010

Charles Zentai and the extradition request by Hungary for him to face questioning over war crimes: after 70 years, is justice possible?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
I suppose we could all surround mr Zentai and poke his eyes out or something.. maybe then those of us hungry for his 'blood' would be satisfied ? **

I don't think there is much to be gained on this one except for a deeeeep sense of pure revenge. He is supposed to have killed one person.
Heck.. Macchour Chaouk tried to blow the brains out of a bloke near his house.. shot him with a double barrelled 12 guage...he got a suspended sentence..!

Why should zentai suffer all this when he is "Innocent until proven guilty"? and it was oh so long ago and he is just about to kick the bucket anyway.

** sarcasm intended
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Friday, 9 July 2010 9:20:21 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
...................the usual I see.

Zentai can go straight to hell. This abject nonsense of:

'out for blood/ revenge/ he JUST killed one person/ someone gets a suspended sentence-so HE is being harshly dealt with/ poor aged pensioner'.

Do what you like. To who you like. Get save haven in Australia. Be defended after your years of sanctuary as a frail 'victim' of revenge.

If this man did this,-his remaining years should be lived out in prison.

I don't debate you BOZO, so don't bother with the usual long drawn out lecture. OK?

"It was Baroness Thatcher who once articulated, "(that) if you have nothing else you have your principles."

Just like her friend Pinochet Mr Ariel?

Bad example.
Posted by Ginx, Saturday, 10 July 2010 12:20:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There remain unanswered questions in the Zentai saga. Mr Zentai initially stated that he was prepared to return to Hungary to defend himself but then changed his mind. I note he had also changed his surname from Steiner to Zentai?

Dr. Efraim Zuroff writes of a letter passed on by Holocaust scholar Laszlo Karsai that was “was from Adam Balazs, an elderly Holocaust survivor living in Budapest, and it (the letter) arrived with about two dozen yellowing pages that clearly were copies of witness statements from 1948.

"According to Karsai’s cover letter, Adam Balazs had “a lot of first-hand documents proving that his brother Peter Balazs was killed by Karoly Zentai who lived in 1958 in Australia… now he has asked me to bring to you this documentation (he does not want to get money for this!). Please try to find Karoly Zentai, in case he is still alive, or at least inform Mr. Balazs what happened to him.”

The Hungarian government have been denied the right to question Mr Zentai and I trust they will see fit to visit Australia and proceed with the questioning considering the grave allegations against Mr Zentai.

I have read excerpts of ‘War Criminals Welcome: Australia, A Sanctuary for War Criminals since 1945’ by Australian, Mark Aarons who claims that since 1947, when the first Nazi war criminals arrived in Australia, "successive governments have knowingly allowed hundreds of men responsible for the cruel imprisonment, torture, rape and mass execution of tens of thousands of innocent civilians to make Australia home". It appears that Labor and Liberal governments have allowed Nazi killers into Australia and protected them.”

There was also the establishment by Nazi émigrés in Australia of the Anti-Bolshevik Bloc of Nations (ABN), a peak body of ultra-right migrant groups that senior Liberal politicians flocked to support.

Should time absolve Australian governments of the ignominy of collaborating with and accommodating Nazi war criminals? I don’t think so. Should time deny justice for the butchered victims of the Holocaust? I don't think so.
Posted by Protagoras, Saturday, 10 July 2010 2:41:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The Arrow Cross was a Hungarian nationalist political party (Nyilaskeresztes Párt), not an SS-like security force as stated in this article. For their entire 170-day rule http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyilaskeresztes_P%C3%A1rt_%E2%80%93_Hungarista_Mozgalom they rounded up and murdered Jews, frequently shooting them on the bank of the Danube and pushing them into the river. The Shoes on the Danube memorial is a simple and deeply moving installation on the Pest side of the river close to the Hungarian Parliament http://www.flickr.com/photos/woulfe/1265494700/

Without knowledge of the facts, I don’t intend to comment on Zentai’s innocence or guilt. If a case can be made that Zentai participated in the events of 7 November 1944, then he should be required to answer it. To me his age is irrelevant - I support the fact that we have no statute of limitations for war crimes.

However no charge has been brought against him. Federal Court Judge Neil McKerracher had the task of deciding whether Zentai should be extradited, not whether he was guilty. McKerracher was required to decide it on Australian law, not on the request of the Hungarian government, on the recommendation of the Wiesenthal Center, or in response to Péter Balázs’ father’s life-long campaign to track down all his son’s killers http://www.prherald.hu/cikk2.php?idc=20100102-094404 The law is there to protect all Australian citizens, and we have no business extraditing a fellow citizen who doesn’t yet have a court case to answer. (Don’t like your next-door neighbour? Have a mate in the New Zealand Police Force call him in for questioning.)

The facts of this case are very harrowing, and no matter how it is decided, Zentai will never be clear of the suspicion that he participated in the torture and murder of Péter Balázs. However in the end I’m with William Blackstone: “Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer.” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Blackstone
Posted by woulfe, Saturday, 10 July 2010 7:00:49 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good man, Blackstone.

I wonder if he would have held the same view if he had walked through the concentration camps with the first group of allies?
Posted by Ginx, Saturday, 10 July 2010 9:24:55 PM
Oh Ginxy.. your self righteousness overfloweth....

I don't care if you debate me... you don't debate anyone.

for the record though.. you appear to have missed an element of cynicism in my post.

My cynicism is because of this.

White man says "We have to start killing the boongs...yes.. we need to kill boong babies" Hate speech!

Black man (New Black Panther) says:

"You want freedom ? you will have to start KILLING crackers (whitey).. you will have to KILL some cracker babies..I hate every white man..every last one of them"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APZ3-Lcbwmc

errrr.. 'nothing'.....

That speaker by the way is one of the 2 who stood outside a polling booth during an election..with uniforms and night sticks... again..charges..civil only....were dropped.

So..your passion for "justice" Ginxy is totally lost on me.. as I lost faith in the legal system decades ago.
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Saturday, 10 July 2010 10:04:55 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy