The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Julia: first 'opinion poll PM' > Comments

Julia: first 'opinion poll PM' : Comments

By Don Allan, published 30/6/2010

Julia Gillard adopted the role of reluctant taker of the prime ministership - but she was never really reluctant.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
You express most eloquently what I have on my heart also
Posted by AbiAustralia, Wednesday, 30 June 2010 9:21:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Cue the nitpicking apologists resorting to the lawyerly response of 'but it's the Westminster system!'

True, perhaps, but that is seeking refuge in the letter of the law, not the spirit of democracy.
Posted by Clownfish, Wednesday, 30 June 2010 10:06:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As a feminist, I am still a little worried that Julia Gillard might turn out to be the ALP's Maggie Thatcher.
Posted by Jolyon Sykes, Wednesday, 30 June 2010 10:49:21 AM
Given that the polling has advanced considerably, and accurately reflect how voters would react, there is hardly a better tool.

Rudd had faced a steady decline over the last 6 months. It did not take a rocket scientist to realise that by polling day labor would be routed unless something changed.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Wednesday, 30 June 2010 10:57:09 AM
I don't think you got that quite right Jolyon. Gillard is no Maggie Thatcher.

However, by the look of that smug self satisfied smile she has been able to get off her face, I think she is actually the ALPs Costello.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 30 June 2010 12:48:02 PM
I think all recent PMs (and Opposition leaders) have had to be media performers and are all out to win public popularity awards.

After all, it is one of the questions that are constantly polled.

Despite all the recent furor it should be remembered that during the last couple of terms of the Howard government there was open and constant discussion about "handing over" to Peter Costello. This was to boost perceived waning popularity - nothing else. It would also mean declaring the leadership vacant and Howard stepping aside. Except for the instigators it sounds familar.

A few weeks ago I saw a TV grab of Tony Abbott telling Andrew Bolt (as he left Steve Price's studio) that "If Rudd wins the election he'll last about 3 months". This suggests that at least Abbott expected Rudd to be dumped while still in office.

So where was the mock outrage and indignation about changing elected leaders then?

Changing opposition leaders is the same thing - it's all about perception.

Perhaps it would be better if the current Logie winner gets to be PM for the following 12 months or if we elect them on the basis of some sort of Talent show with judges and phone-in polls.

It seems to be what captivates the public these days so it's not surprising that politicians have to play that game.
Posted by wobbles, Wednesday, 30 June 2010 4:23:07 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy