The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Uniting Church in dire straits > Comments

The Uniting Church in dire straits : Comments

By Peter Sellick, published 29/4/2010

It is always a bad idea to alter the theology or the liturgy of the church to meet political ends.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Sorry Peter, I couldn't even finish this. The eyelids grew heavy and the head nodded forward onto the keyboard.
My only comment from what I managed to read and adsorb is that you are kidding yourself if you think that your "theology" is not packed with political tinkerings that have accrued over the last 2 thousand years. Paul was a supreme politician. If the Uniting Church tinker enough and continue on this way they may all eventually end up as atheists....which will be proof that their spiritual journey has been properly conducted.
Posted by Priscillian, Thursday, 29 April 2010 10:31:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"The price to be paid for a political settlement with those who want to assert their unique culture is theological relativism"

Which is what happened with "the Niceno-Constantinopolitan consensus" - Tertullian's early 3rd century ( and thus post-gospel) notion of the Trinity was used to suppress the mystic and spiritual notions of the Chrestus that had been more prevalent.
Posted by McReal, Thursday, 29 April 2010 10:41:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Does this person actually know anything about his own religion? Attacking another Christian religion for making it up as they go along when this has been an entrenched attitude/tactic of all Christian religions from the beginning?
Posted by Daviy, Thursday, 29 April 2010 10:46:55 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"but to sacrifice theological integrity"

Sorry but that lost me. Terry Lane once commented about theology along the lines that, "They all make it up as they go along". That says to me that it is all designed to serve a present purpose.

Was the article designed to divert attention from the present problems of the Vatican?

How can a NSW Bishop and the Roman Catholic members of ICCOREIS oppose the ethics classes trial in NSW when so many priests and even a bishop or three have been shown to be guilty of child abuse or the unethical cover up of such crimes by other members of the clergy?

Socrates, 2500 years ago, had a better idea of the road to a decent and fulfilling life than any modern religion.
Posted by Foyle, Thursday, 29 April 2010 10:56:16 AM
Peter,

A change to the preamble is probably the LEAST of the Uniting Church's problems.

When someone mentions "Uniting Church" my reaction is similar to someone talking about Alta Vista. I say, "Oh, is that still around?"

It is:

http://www.altavista.com/

And so, after a fashion, is the Uniting Church. But how many "unique visits" do you get?
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Thursday, 29 April 2010 11:03:45 AM
“theology is a response to the gospel. This excludes all other considerations.”
Says the Anglican deacon advising the Uniting Church. Who will he advise next? Will he tell the Catholic, Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, Shinto – -- congregations where they are going wrong?

Careful Peter, some of those groups – the Muslim extremists who got cranky about Dr. Taslima Nasreen’s suggestion of dragging the Muslim gospel further towards modern social standards; they are not the only fundamentalists.
There are plenty of equally die-hard types in those other groups of disparate faiths as well. We would miss you if you were, like Taslima, hounded out of current society; perhaps in your case to take refuge in Canterbury Cathedral
Posted by colinsett, Thursday, 29 April 2010 12:01:56 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy