The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why Ali fled Afghanistan > Comments

Why Ali fled Afghanistan : Comments

By Frank Brennan, published 12/4/2010

If asylum seekers are fleeing based on fear of persecution, do we have an obligation to offer them refuge as the first country they get to?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. All
I would classify Ali in the "Women and children first"category. A historically acceptable standard of survival that should override the UNHCR determination of who is and who isn't. We are a compassionate nation and we broadcast our Nation to the World. Many have risked and lost their life seeking peace and and spent thousands to smugglers to do so and there are others who might well seek to destroy it. A group are already on trial for such an intention.

Methinks it would be best if Australia sent the crews of the asylum boats home to Indonesia for reasons that will appear obvious to an armchair thinker. But, the asylum seekers should be treated the same as if an Australian was caught in their country. What could be a fairer policy? Indeed, that fit men have run away having paid a lot of money to smugglers says a great deal about them if by doing so they,"contribute to the cultural diversity of our Nation". Is there no courage to use the money to band together to deal with their problem in their own country?
Posted by Hei Yu, Monday, 12 April 2010 11:32:25 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The answer may be to take more refugees from Indonesia. We should make an agreement with that country to take as many as possible to shorten the list. The boat people who reach this country sent back and placed at the end of that list.
Posted by Flo, Monday, 12 April 2010 11:55:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Unfortunately many have come simply because Mr Rudd playing politics actually invited them.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/kevin-rudd-invited-asylum-seeker-boats-to-australia-says-people-smuggler/story-e6freon6-1225852441131

This is the most incompetent Government since Whitlam and now they want to take Health from the States.
Posted by runner, Monday, 12 April 2010 1:13:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The name Frank Brennan incites respect in my mind. However, since I saw what "God" allowed on 9/11 - how he sanctioned the death of almost 3,000 ordinary people - and how the religions of the world didn't get together and condemn violence I have lost all respect for religion.
As an ex Anglican I am distressed that right across the world there are so many conflicts that are in some way or another about religion.
I wonder what would happen if religion was banned from the world?
If wars ceased the Ali's of the world would not have lost parents to a Heavenly Being who promises seventy two virgins to suicide bombers.
Posted by phoenix94, Monday, 12 April 2010 3:31:05 PM
Christmas Island, November 2009 and the Ali's of Today?

So the "recreational facilities are restricted and the tea and coffee a bit of a problem and so charges are likely to be laid and the Federal Police will intervene". It is both naive and quite pedestrian to think that anyone who does not understand English would care if they are prepared to accept death to set out on the journey at the start. “The pool cues are broken and the rioters will be threatened with deportation and not have their status considered”. Tut tut tut
Conditions are getting crowded? This will not do and broken pool cues?What will the UNHCR think of us? Well,after another 47 boats in 2010 we aint seen nothin’ yet. The brawls are just the beginning and should get the widest possible photo publicity with razor wire background countered with emphasis on due process and the priority of families with children. Laying charges? How very proper. it will mean nothing and a waste of time, money and resources but we will feel good about it, won’t we? being proper I mean, and we like to feel good about ourselves when we are being proper, don’t we?
Just what is it that we are afraid of Mr. Rudd? The Children?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/11/23/2751302.ht
Posted by Hei Yu, Monday, 12 April 2010 4:29:48 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rudd is afraid of being a one term government and the people who respond to dog-whistling are very afraid of having to treat non-whites as their equals.
Posted by David Jennings, Monday, 12 April 2010 4:50:22 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy