The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Can’t see the game for the pixels > Comments

Can’t see the game for the pixels : Comments

By Taimor Hazou, published 2/3/2010

There is a lack of sophistication with our current classification scheme: the debate over videogaming is off-target!

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Mr Hazou adopts a middle-of-the-road tone in this piece, ostensibly pointing to deficiencies in the debate which apply to both sides. Understandably he does this out of a desire to cast a wide net, courting those who are undecided and attempting to move the debate forward. That said, it's also pretty clear by the end of the piece which side gets closest to being 'sophisticated' to borrow Mr Hazou's term.

All the arguments Mr Hazou makes underscore the many problems that exist with the status quo of gaming classification in Australia - which is the fundamental position of all R18+ proponents. And whilst I am not aware of a big contingent in support of new in-between categories, and specific labels for racism and gambling, those suggestions are hardly ruled out by R18+ proponents. Indeed, I believe these ideas happily co-exist with the many arguments that have been made about achieving parity with US and European classification schemes, and the problems with under-classification under the existing Australian system. For example, I've repeatedly pointed out that the Oz version of GTA IV has far too many drug references and drug missions, profanity (including the c-word) to be appropriately classified MA15+. I'm sure Mr Hazou agrees, he just wants to extend the fundamental logic of appropriate ratings to better labelling.

. The use of such tags could be very helpful to parents to make decisions about some of the grey areas. For example, as a liberal person, I'm not going to be as concerned with certain adult themes as with others. So I welcome the suggestion, even if I think Mr Hazou has drawn a false equivalency between both sides to sound more bipartisan.
Posted by BBoy, Tuesday, 2 March 2010 9:26:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy