The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > No Athletes Should Go To China

No Athletes Should Go To China

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Dear Foxy,

I believe that Jesse Owens' triumphs in the Olympics were not celebrated in the US because they were an embarassment to Avery Brundage, head of the US Olympic Committee at that time and later head of the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

https://www.thenation.com/article/society/avery-brundage/

If Jesse Owens had been white and not Jewish he would have been a hero.
Posted by david f, Tuesday, 25 January 2022 4:39:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear David F.,

I was not aware of any negativity about Jesse Owens
and the 1936 Berlin Games. To me he is a legend.
Thank You for the information that you have provided.
Here is a link on what Britannica has to say:

http://britannica.com/biography/Jesse-Owens
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 25 January 2022 5:30:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Given the United States is the most racists nation on Earth, that should not surprise. The KKK would have lynched Owens given half a chance, can't have these upperty blacks.
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 25 January 2022 9:27:12 PM
VE,

"There are current things I do not understand, when South Africa had the appalling system of apartheid they were put in the sporting gulag. So why, with China having an even more appalling record are they not treated the same?"

I presume that's a rhetorical question and that you know full well that Communism is more acceptable to Australian leftists than any regime to the right if centre.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 25 January 2022 9:48:04 PM
In spite of the bollocks, Pauliar is spouting China is far more racist than the US. But because China is communist Pauliar is happy to accept their genocide of minority groups.

The Beijing Olympics should be used to display the contempt the rest of the world holds for the murderous CCP.
Posted by shadowminister, Wednesday, 26 January 2022 5:50:41 AM
shonky,

No I do not, China's behaviour towards minorities is terrible and should be called out at every opportunity. Although Australia's record towards it's indigenous minority is just as bad.

Being of such high principles would you support a total trade ban with China? Maybe you're content to put it on a bunch of sportspeople to do the job, and not cost Big Mining etc a cent.
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 26 January 2022 7:02:27 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy