The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Should Our Ministers Be Qualified For The Jobs They've Been Given?

Should Our Ministers Be Qualified For The Jobs They've Been Given?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
what matters is intellect and passion, and few people have this as indicated by the pathetic standard of many academics and politicians we have who nearly always have some sort of degree
Posted by Chris Lewis, Sunday, 10 October 2021 5:39:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hey Foxy, do you have a degree.

I have a PhD and would not rate that much higher than a toilet roll, so there.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Sunday, 10 October 2021 5:41:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Great to have a qualification as it helped me get some easy money from the university leech sector, but I don't think university education made the slightest difference to my ability to think.

Similarly, I doubt whether education made any difference to the short term thinking of our political leaders who were stupid enough to make Australia reliant on commodities, housing and China.

Oh, but now we should all study law and economics when many of them already did.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Sunday, 10 October 2021 5:47:17 PM
Most people enter politics usually to try to
make a difference. And most of the politicians
that we do have are hard workers who do have
the necessary passion that's required for the job.
Because as we know politics is a tough career.

Of course there are some rotten apples - but we can't
throw out the entire barrel because of a few rotten
ones. As Peter Costello said in his memoirs - most of
the politicians he worked with for so long - were
dedicated people.
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 10 October 2021 5:47:21 PM
That is right, passion and an ability to think most important, not the type of degree.

https://www.indiatoday.in/education-today/gk-current-affairs/story/leader-360003-2016-12-28

Winston Churchill, Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln did ok without a college degree
Posted by Chris Lewis, Sunday, 10 October 2021 5:55:08 PM
Hi Chris,

I have an undergrad and a post grad degree.
I've had a varied career over several
continents which included working for large
corporations, government departments, state
libaries, and universities. I consider myself
still a work in progress. I certainly still
have a lot more to learn.
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 10 October 2021 6:01:13 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy