The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > This May Shock You.

This May Shock You.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Pauliar,

This is old news. There are charities that rescue food just before expiry for the homeless. Stuff that has expired cannot be sold even though it may well be edible.
Posted by shadowminister, Tuesday, 28 September 2021 9:15:49 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes I'm aware of that SM, 'ÓzHarvest' operates in our area, look them up. At my wife's church kitchen they have 2 regular businesses that donate, a bread shop and green grocer, most appreciated. The bureaucracy plays its part in the madness. My step-daughter years ago worked for an importer of fine European foods for the deli trade. She brought home a large tin of Greek feta cheese, not because it was out of date, but because its date stamping was in the wrong format and it all had to be dumped.

What I'm talking about here is not simply business inefficiency leading to food waste, but an orchestrated business model by corporations that has allowances for large amounts of waste built in, after all its all about the bottom line and not some sort of moral responsibility.

We had a cyclone up north, and the banana crop in the region was destroyed, about 5% of Australia's total crop, big news at the time. Bananas shot up to over $10/kg in supermarkets. My relo told me that as there was this "great shortage of bananas" at the same time they were dumping perfectly good pallets of bananas, due to lack of demand. I suspect the supermarkets were controlling supply created by panic, to maximise profits, that is a common practice by the big retailers. I buy at a independent green grocer (same bloke as above), and his prices are consistently half that of the Big Two, and his quality is just as good or better, even though the big supermarkets buy volume at cheaper wholesale prices, hard to explain.
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 29 September 2021 6:39:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
there could be liability issues so they chuck it into a locked bin where people can't get it.
Armchair Critic,
One can just imagine the bandwagon starting to build up speed !
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 29 September 2021 7:37:16 AM
Hi Indy,

Once we cut off your wasteful aged welfare, saving us struggling taxpayers $25 billion/year, and put you onto the National Seniors Service you will be earning your tucker in no time. Yep, a bowl of hearty 2 minute noddles and a carrot stick, a cup of black tea and a slice of week old dry bread, every night, a choice between chicken or beef noddles for variety, just to keep you heathy for tomorrows effort at ditch digging. All that to take back to your taxpayer provided tent for a nourishing dinner after a hard days yakka. How does that grab you! can't wait I suppose!
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 29 September 2021 12:54:32 PM
Paul1405,
We could save double of that if we got the likes of you out of the Public trough & made you live off your merits !
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 29 September 2021 9:43:20 PM
Paul1405,
If you're so against Welfare then you're bleating from the wrong camp.
Posted by individual, Monday, 4 October 2021 8:15:17 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy