The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Bushfires and water tanks.

Bushfires and water tanks.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
If you live in an area that is prone to bushfires and you have poly water tanks it might be time to sell them and go to steel or concrete.

Poly tanks can burn even when full of water, the outside catches fire and as the tank weakens the weight of water causes ruptures and the tank fails.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-18/all-that-remains-of-the-rose-home-1/11613948?nw=0
Posted by Is Mise, Sunday, 17 January 2021 9:41:08 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Is Mise,

Not if your $750 value 3,000 litres poly tank comes complete with the optional $5,000 self contained fire suppressant system.

Which might soon be made mandatory by your local council meathead (because they are just so F'n smart).
Posted by Mr Opinion, Sunday, 17 January 2021 10:46:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Steel tanks will last longer too.

I installed 3 of 3000 gallon corrugated iron tanks 29 years ago. I replaced one tank 3 years ago, & another under 2 years ago, so 26 & 27 years service.

They are collecting water off a corrugated iron roof, & I am told there is a reaction between that roof & the tank, causing corrosion. If I had used colorbond tanks they would still be fine apparently. I have no personal knowledge of this, but the third tank which is filled by pumping water from the dam or river is still going fine, so it may be true. It doesn't matter much as a fire hot enough to set fire to your water tank would probably burn the house down, under which circumstances you wouldn't care too much about a tank.

Similarly, every tank instillation I've seen recently has used either black polly pipe, or white PVC pipe, both of which will burn very quickly, releasing any fire fighting water anyway. Add the fact that your power will be out anyway, so electric pumps won't work.

Empty steel tanks usually collapse in the heat of the fire anyway.

Petrol or diesel fire pumps will still work, but at between 10,000 & 18,000 liters per hour, the tank water would not last long.

Protect your tanks by bush fire proofing your property. Clear at least 200 meters from the buildings, down to short grass, & your tanks will probably survive.

Continued.
Posted by Hasbeen, Sunday, 17 January 2021 11:51:10 AM
Continued.
I do find it amusing when townies complain about their water & sewerage rates.

I have an $18,000 investment in supplying & removing drinking & garden water to & from my home, & protecting it from fire. This includes 5 water tanks, 3 fire pumps, & a water transfer pump, 3 pressure pump systems, 2 for drinking water & one for garden, & 2 grey water sullage pumps.

This does not include 2, 24V solar powered pumps, one on the bore, & one for harvesting from the river, a big diesel on the dam, & one on the god damn pool.

On average these pumps require overhaul or replacement at about a 6 year cycle, so a not inexpensive cost of getting out of overcrowded cities.

Incidentally I spent most of Friday repairing a failed riser junction in the underground mainline from the dam to the house. I really am getting too old to have to dig a 2.5 meter trench, a meter deep by half a meter wide, & work down at the bottom replacing the 30 year old junction that had failed. Tell your neighbors thinking about a tree change, it aint all fun.
Posted by Hasbeen, Sunday, 17 January 2021 11:52:01 AM
Opinion.

Must you continually affirm the supposition that you are rather boring?
Posted by Is Mise, Sunday, 17 January 2021 3:33:56 PM
Is Mise,

You aren't by chance a council employee?
Posted by Mr Opinion, Sunday, 17 January 2021 4:18:16 PM
Hassy, until we take real action about climate change your water tanks are going to be subjected to an ever increasing threat from bushfires. The scientific evidence is clear, so there is nothing to argue about. CLIMATE ACTION NOW.
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 19 January 2021 6:38:15 AM
Climate does what it has done since Day 1, it changes. It's the humans who don't change hence the problems they've created to cause their own demise !
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 19 January 2021 7:40:08 AM
Paul1405,

No use talking about global warming and its adverse impact on climate to Hasbeen.

I'm afraid mein Fuhrer Hasbeen (aka - but only to his mates - Phil West) just doesn't get it.

Anyway, it's now too late to do anything about global warming. Action should have been taken back in the 1960/70s but wasn't because dishonest and untrustworthy politicians, bureaucrats and business people kept telling themselves that it was someone else's problem.

Now the droughts and storms and floods are getting more severe and happening more frequently and all the idiots keep saying it has always been like that.

If it has always been like that then how come it keeps getting worse?
Posted by Mr Opinion, Tuesday, 19 January 2021 8:05:34 AM
Typical! A post on the highly practical and necessary discussion of water tanks as protection against inevitable bushfires gets twisted by around by the usual climate scammers.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 19 January 2021 10:47:22 AM
ttbn,

Ring .. ring ... ring.

It's gruel time at the nursing home.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Tuesday, 19 January 2021 11:10:42 AM
Just a bit of information for the sane people to think on when being confronted with the absolute garbage the global warmers are always quoting from some computer model as if it is fact.

Rainfall extremes in this district from the 1800s to today.

Maximums.

1/...1893.....1726mm.
2/...1954.....1475mm.
3/...1947.....1475mm.
4/...1989.....1327mm.
5/...1921.....1288mm.

Minimums.

1/...1919......434mm.
2/...1994......453mm.
3/...1902......459mm.
4/...1993......475mm.
5/...2019......482mm.

For comparison, the last 5 years.

2016,......611mm.
2017,.....1182mm.
2018,......964mm
2019,......482mm.
2020,.....1118mm.

100+ year average,...935mm.

Temperatures have been equally chaotic.

Only a fool or a con man could find any trend in any of the above.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 20 January 2021 2:05:58 PM
What do you know, hit greenies/lefties with a few facts & they run for cover, knowing if facts are concerned, their scam fall;s apart.
Posted by Hasbeen, Sunday, 24 January 2021 12:29:47 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy