The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Parliament House attacked in Australia under John Howard

Parliament House attacked in Australia under John Howard

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Parliaments are being attacked not just in the United States, but in places all over the world.

One example was in Australia, under Prime Minister John Howard.

You can view a news story on a riot in Australia at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW0yxPbZq40

A protest on the day of the riot also involved Unions, political parties and other people. Some of the film footage is shocking - and to think this was happening in Australia?

What do you think people need to do, to stop these violent attacks on Parliaments?

If something isn't done or people do not learn and change, this violence will simply continue.
Posted by NathanJ, Monday, 11 January 2021 5:28:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I remember John Howard: He was such a funny little man.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Monday, 11 January 2021 6:43:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Nathan,

That was 25 years ago, I mentioned it on another topic but only to illustrate that we were not exactly saints as far as respect for Parliament went, the interesting comparison is that John Howard and other politicians deplored it but there was no frothing at the mouth as we are seeing from the Democrats.
Posted by Is Mise, Monday, 11 January 2021 7:10:39 PM
Is Mise,
Yeah well, getting violent when decency is needed is the trademark of the leftie hangers-on !
Posted by individual, Monday, 11 January 2021 7:47:46 PM
<<Nathan, That was 25 years ago, I mentioned it on another topic.... but there was no frothing at the mouth as we are seeing from the Democrats.>>

That's just a diversionary tactic really, compared to taking opposition to this type of thuggery, violence and appalling behaviour in Australia, to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Labor did not dissociate itself from Unions in Australia (which it should have done to send a strong message) on the 1996 riot.

Senator Dee Margetts, also speaking for the Greens Western Australia said that "the Greens WA do not associate ourselves with the violent action" but that "there are obviously some in the Greens movement who have differing opinions about that"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_Parliament_House_riot

Such violence could easily happen again here, particularly from those who believe Australia is going more down the pathway of the United States.
Posted by NathanJ, Monday, 11 January 2021 8:50:00 PM
A meeting of the Taiwanese Parliament

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTmgwX8taQQ&ab_channel=BusinessInsider

Mob violence usually takes place on the streets. I have participated in many peaceful protests. I've witnessed police violence as in the days of the Vietnam War protests in the early 70's, to minor scuffles in later protests. The vast majority of people wanting to protest are peaceful. In fact if violence is to occur the majority of protesters will simply disperse, wanting no part of it. Today in Australia we have much better liaison between protest organisers and police, before and during protests, which results in far better outcomes for all. The next protest I'll attend is 26th January Invasion Day protest. I expect there will be a few rejects from the movie 'Romper Stomper' on the sidelines yelling "COON LOVERS" etc, they are of little concern. What is of greater concern is the thousands of ordinary Australian sitting at home watching the protest on the 6 o'clock news muttering to themselves under their breath "coon lovers".

Protests come in all shapes and sizes, from the big ones taking up several city blocks, to the one man with his placard protesting I donlt know what, to the nice gentile Liberal party ladies protesting at Kelly's Bush years ago. Then there was mum and the kids supporting dad for weeks outside the locked gates when dad's job was taken by Patricks Stevedores. There are the locals protesting down at their post office because Australia Post proposes closing their little branch. Protest is legitimate but it must never be violent.
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 12 January 2021 6:47:49 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy