The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Australia's appalling 67 million tonnes of waste each year

Australia's appalling 67 million tonnes of waste each year

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
From 2019: "Australians create 67 million tonnes of waste each year."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-27/where-does-all-australias-waste-go/11755424

Australia's waste pile is only getting worse. It will not improve until:

1. Australia reduces its population intake

2. There is a move away from consumerism in Australia

3. Australia moves towards a green economy

These are just a few examples. Do you have other ideas that could change this current situation?
Posted by NathanJ, Wednesday, 4 November 2020 12:31:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What does the 67 million tonnes per year figure include?
What doe it exclude?
Why do you consider it to be appalling?
Posted by Aidan, Wednesday, 4 November 2020 4:15:47 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It's a sad reflection of the consumerism mentality !
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 4 November 2020 6:34:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It’s sad for seagulls too. We need to reintroduce open tips which support local bird life and confine blowfly strike to tips, and away from population dense suburbs.
Tips are healthy.

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Wednesday, 4 November 2020 8:44:12 PM
Tips could be put beyond dam walls to further strengthen/breach proof the walls with concrete-like mix waste in stages.
Posted by individual, Thursday, 5 November 2020 12:09:15 AM
Individual is on the correct thinking path.

I think more radically though, and following the example of Beirut, where tip fill is bulldozed directly into the Mediterranean Sea, a move which has exceeded our own local Government ability at sewage disposal, dumped into the Pacific ocean as a huge cost saving to rate payers. Why should the tax payer be burdened with the worry of waste disposal?

Trust our politicians to do the job efficiently for their own benefit and that of the taxpayer; and as a side benefit, unbridled development, unhindered by environmental constraints can forge forward into a utopia of trailer parks for the aged, under the spreading shade of swaying palm trees, the potential of which can be sold to prospective clients from a free flight at low tide over vast developments, including wine and bikkies.

Welcome to “Gladdies” NSW, where anything and everything is on the table; preferably under the tablecloth.

Dan.
Posted by diver dan, Thursday, 5 November 2020 6:01:40 AM
Every time I throw out a glass jar jar I cringe.
There is a lot of used energy in glass and glass should be recycled separately.
Posted by Bazz, Thursday, 5 November 2020 8:20:51 AM
Nathan,

You are the resident misery guts. People generate rubbish. Get over it. You must have seen people on TV in Third World countries living in rubbish up to their knees. Every seen that here? Of course not. Not even in remote communities. Australia isn't perfect, mate. But it's a damn sight better than most countries. There are people who are constantly looking for reasons to knock Australia. You are one of them.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 5 November 2020 8:48:16 AM
Nathan,

"Generation of municipal solid waste worldwide in 2017, by select country (in million metric tons)*
http://www.statista.com/statistics/916749/global-generation-of-municipal-solid-waste-by-country/

According to the above Australia generated 13.35 metric tons and ranked 20th worldwide; why the vast increase in a 2 year period?
Posted by Is Mise, Thursday, 5 November 2020 9:48:14 AM
According to an article in the Sydney Morning Herald
"Australia is going to divert 80% of its waste from
landfill by 2030 under an ambitious national target
in the wake of the China crackdown on recycled waste
imports".

We're told that "A 'working draft' pf the 2018 National
waste policy obtained by Fairfax Media also sets out a
target to reduce the total waste generated by every
Australian by 10% in 2030".

There's more at the following link:

http://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/australia-to-set-national-targets-to-reduce-waste-20180905-p505w5.html
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 5 November 2020 10:16:20 AM
I object to some people insinuating that I have little to no understanding of what is occurring overseas in terms of waste.

If anything it is a diversionary tactic.

Here is one example from overseas. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNlwh8vT2NU

In terms of Aiden's comments, Australia's waste is appalling. It doesn't matter what it is for, because if people don't call out these situations, things will not change or improve.

I have a lot of waste I throw out, taking medication where the material is not recyclable. I still take the position it is appalling. If I take take the position it is fine, then the chances of any improvement are lower, as other people may simply take an approach that Australia's waste record, isn't really that bad, when it is terrible!

Yes people do create waste, that doesn't make it good at all! Litter all over the place, it is sending a message that humans trashing a planet (they did not create) is fine, when in reality, it is not.
Posted by NathanJ, Thursday, 5 November 2020 11:04:24 AM
'Tis a bit disappointing that NathanJ didn't answer my questions - but I followed his link and found it includes everything, including what is recycled. The figure even includes sewage. So it's not appalling at all. There's scope for improving efficiency by waste reduction, but no reason to baulk at statistics!
Posted by Aidan, Thursday, 5 November 2020 11:11:33 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It's a real shame that Govts invariably consult educated experts rather than than pragmatists who actually know.
Until we all come to see waste as a resource rather than waste, we'll not make progress in anything.
Waste is volume, energy, keeps our living space clean etc etc. Instead of worrying about where to put our waste we should think where we can use it in a practical way.
Sea walls could be made from waste. Artificial reefs to attract marine life could be made from waste. The possibilities are more than we can list !
Posted by individual, Thursday, 5 November 2020 11:32:44 AM
How about burning it to generate electricity ?
Posted by Bazz, Thursday, 5 November 2020 1:09:24 PM
Our governments have had a National Waste policy
since 2009. An updated National Waste Policy was
published in 2018.

The Department of Agriculture, Water and the
environment tells us that the National Waste Policy
"provides a national framework for waste resource
recovery in Australia. It outlines roles and
responsibilities for collective action by businesses,
governments, communities, and individuals. The National
policy guides continuing collaboration between the
Australian governments, businesses, and industries".

It does not remove the risks for governments, businesses,
and industries to implement tailoured in response to local
and regional communities.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 5 November 2020 1:14:44 PM
On a not really related matter, I heard on the BBC radio program News Hour last night
that in a Mozambique village an Initiation Ceremony for village boys was
being held when it was attacked by Islamists.
In the incident 20 boys were decapitated.
I could not find any item in the BBC news web pages and there has been
no reports that I have heard on Australian TV or radio.
Has anyone heard other reports ?
Posted by Bazz, Thursday, 5 November 2020 1:35:16 PM
Sorry that went into the wrong thread, I have no idea how that happened !
Anyway, now it is here let me know if you heard about it.
Posted by Bazz, Thursday, 5 November 2020 1:47:18 PM
National Waste Policy
Foxy,
i have googled this but haven't seen anything that looks like a practical solution in place.
Posted by individual, Thursday, 5 November 2020 4:14:16 PM
Now here's a statistic that will make you sick.

Google: 'award rate garbage truck driver australia'

Result: An early career Garbage Truck Driver with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation of AU$26.32 based on 45 salaries.

Now compare 'caring for people' to 'caring for garbage'

Google: award rate nurse australia

It will bring up a table that says
'Registered nurse with a 4 year degree - entry rate' $26.27

Now lets look at aged care:

Aged Care employee Level 1 - $21.09
Aged Care employee Level 7 - $25.62

So what do we make of this:

That caring for garbage is considered more important than caring for people.

- Think about that -
Posted by Armchair Critic, Thursday, 5 November 2020 9:35:57 PM
Aiden,

I don't know where your figures came from, but I don't know how many more figures people need to put out about Australia's shameful waste amounts, whatever it's for and wherever it ends up, including in local ecosystems.

The impacts on birds and wildlife are huge. If the impacts were on humans there'd be more immediate action.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2019-03-02/balloons-lethal-to-seabirds/10861022

Please also note the other link at the bottom of the link: "There's a soup of rubbish in the Pacific that's almost as big as Queensland". No, it wouldn't all be from Australia, but some of it is, and that's far too much.

It's like climate change deniers. They'll tell you Australia doesn't cause a lot of damage re climate change and want to do nothing about the issue. No thanks!!
Posted by NathanJ, Thursday, 5 November 2020 10:07:13 PM
NathanJ,
> I don't know where your figures came from,
They're not my figures, they're YOUR figures!
I simply followed the link you provided to see why your figures were so high.

So now I'm puzzled - why did you fail to comprehend it?

Anyway, you're right about balloons. For decades it was widely believed that because of natural degradation they're not a problem. We now know that isn't the case.

Very little of the rubbish in the Pacific is from Australia. Unlike climate change (where we're one of the highest greenhouse gas emitters per capita) our littering rate is low. True, we're not perfect, and there are things that could be done both to reduce the amount of litter and increase its biodegradability. But you seem to have failed to comprehend that this has nothing to do with your 67 million tonnes figure, which includes what is recycled as well as what is disposed of in landfills.
Posted by Aidan, Saturday, 7 November 2020 10:02:15 AM
Aiden,

My link, referred to the second film link. Another person posted here that I knew little to nothing about waste overseas which was false.

What is frustrating is people who keep denying waste in Australia is a problem. The WWF has extensive detail on their website.

http://www.wwf.org.au/get-involved/plastics#gs.k8mejh and there are lots of other links via their page.

Then one can go to: http://blogs.nelson.wisc.edu/es112-302-3/waste/

Waste (this would be an earlier dated website)

"In Australia, waste is becoming a major problem due to the population growth. As the population grows, so does the waste per person. Australia produces 48 million tons of waste per year. And according to the NSW Environment and Heritage website, this waste comes from three main sources: household (municipal) waste, commercial and industrial waste, and building and demolition waste. Household waste makes up almost half of all solid waste in Australia, with each person contributing about half a ton each year. Household waste is made up of

3% metal, 6% plastics, 5% glass, 19% paper and cardboard, 56% food scraps and garden waste, 11% other".

Whilst the page, highlights some recycling of items, there really isn't enough focus on the impacts and future matters from creating items needing to be recycled - for example nuclear waste to be disposed of in South Australia:

http://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/article/2019/11/21/unanimous-no-vote-traditional-owners-sas-proposed-nuclear-waste-dump
Posted by NathanJ, Saturday, 7 November 2020 6:45:01 PM
NathanJ,
> What is frustrating is people who keep denying waste in Australia is a problem.

*A* problem?
Seriously?
You think that waste in Australia is just one problem?
Struth, it's idiotic attitudes like that which I find frustrating?

There are lots of different problems relating to waste in Australia. But they should NOT be conflated. The amount of waste correctly disposed of does not add to the litter problem. And radioactive waste is a completely separate issue.
Posted by Aidan, Saturday, 7 November 2020 11:49:46 PM
Here is one more waste disposal problem for you to worry about.
The windfarms that are now being built everywhere have a clause that
the landowner is responsible for the removal of the turbines, towers,
and concrete base at end of life and restoring the land to as original.
The blades seem to be buried as far as I have read probably because
they are fibreglass.
The landowner farmer has to be responsible because the wind generator
company is probably bankrupt at that time.
In the US there are examples of defunct windfarms. Some say the lifetime
is about 20 years.
With hundreds being erected we may be laying up a real problem.
Posted by Bazz, Sunday, 8 November 2020 9:19:29 AM
Aiden,

"waste correctly disposed of...." There is no such thing. How long do people keep going?

Then, nuclear waste is different? Why? I could argue the same as above, that it is "correctly disposed of".

Tell that to the people affected, who are opposing nuclear waste dumps in Australia.

Waste is terrible. You could argue some food waste is different, like say food peels, inedible parts from fruit/vegetables etc, but overall consumer driven waste is not justified, regardless of any benefits to others, including myself.

Don't cherry pick!
Posted by NathanJ, Sunday, 8 November 2020 2:09:54 PM
It's absolutely disgusting!

There is just so much rubbish in Australia it is ridiculous!

All that discourse from Hasbeen, pseudo-mouth, psycho runner, pseudo-individual, Bazz, pseudo-Josephus, and the list goes on ............ Oh, and let's not forget shadyminister!
Posted by Mr Opinion, Sunday, 8 November 2020 3:30:06 PM
Nathan J, nuclear waste is VERY compact and can be reprocessed through
more reactors and further reduce its radio activity while generating more energy.
I have held a piece of depleted uranium in my hand and
I do not glow in the dark. It was very heavy though !
Ultimately everyone who objects to nuclear energy will just have
to change their mind as wind & solar fail.
Of course fusion may save us all in 60 years time.

As an aside, a study found if the US went wind & solar only, due to
the mtbf of solar panels they would need maintenance teams to change
100,000 panels a day ! Now that's what I call waste.
Whoops, mtbf = mean time between failures
Posted by Bazz, Sunday, 8 November 2020 3:32:42 PM
NathanJ,
> "waste correctly disposed of...." There is no such thing.
What a ridiculous claim! Waste that is recycled, or even that which goes into landfills, doesn't go into our rivers and oceans. It doesn't cause the environmental problems that non biodegradable litter does, and your failure to make a distinction is quite a serious cognitive deficiency on your part.

> How long do people keep going?
As long as you like.

>Then, nuclear waste is different? Why?
Because the quantities involved are small, the dangers are well recognised and nowadays the producers of it are very careful to ensure it doesn't escape into the environment. And recycling it typically creates more waste than there was to start with.

>I could argue the same as above, that it is "correctly disposed of".
Indeed, the need for correct disposal is pretty near universally recognised.

>Tell that to the people affected, who are opposing nuclear waste dumps in Australia.
Unfortunately the botched cleanup of Maralinga gave the people good reason to be suspicious.

>Waste is terrible.
Not intrinsically. It's only terrible when it has terrible effects.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Bazz,
The idea that wind and solar are set to fail is fanciful. There will be occasional failures, just as there are with fossil fuel plants, but there are no huge problems with reliability, and reliability's only likely to increase as they learn from early mistakes.
Posted by Aidan, Sunday, 8 November 2020 9:25:04 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy