The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Initiative for peace

Initiative for peace

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 49
  7. 50
  8. 51
  9. Page 52
  10. 53
  11. All
CM,

The Trots probably have some notion that revolutionary change is inevitable, and that that's what we're evolving towards.

A good antidote against this sort of rubbish is Isaiah Berlin's wonderful articles, particularly his demolition of "Historical Inevitability". A beautiful writer too. An amazing man: he could give a 50-minute lecture with no notes, speaking at around 180 words a minute without a break.

Joe
Posted by loudmouth2, Thursday, 23 July 2020 5:21:40 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
CM,

Karl Popper too :)

Joe
Posted by loudmouth2, Thursday, 23 July 2020 6:13:47 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Joe,

Have you read Prof. Tor Hundloe's book, "From Buddha
to Bono: seeking sustainability" , ?

Wonderful take on Isaiah Berlin, Sir Karl Popper, and
many others.

Worth a read if you haven't read it.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 23 July 2020 6:44:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Joe Loudmouth- Yes Isaiah Berlin appears to be a student of Wittgenstein- "[m]y thoughts are 100% Hebraic,".

Interesting ideas.

Two Concepts of Liberty
Counter-Enlightenment
Value pluralism
Positive liberty

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaiah_Berlin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludwig_Wittgenstein

I enjoy philosophy- I'm not an expert- in discussions I've come across Wittgenstein occasionally- and remember him favorably- along with Baltasar Gracian, and many, many other great thinkers.

Thanks for the suggestion Joe Loudmouth.
Posted by Canem Malum, Friday, 24 July 2020 3:24:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Foxy & CM,

Okay, I'll give Tor Hundloe's book a go :)

Joe
Posted by loudmouth2, Friday, 24 July 2020 11:47:29 AM
Joe,

I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 24 July 2020 12:28:22 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 49
  7. 50
  8. 51
  9. Page 52
  10. 53
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy