The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Climate Change and Diesel Cars

Climate Change and Diesel Cars

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
It would seem that some of the requirements for less pollution spurred on by Climate Change are having unforeseen consequences.

"Problem diesel filters 'widespread' as VW, Subaru owners report similar problems to Toyota drivers"
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-08/diesel-filter-problems-in-australian-cars-widespread/11655040
and the cost can be more than the vehicle is worth if it is aged.
Posted by Is Mise, Friday, 29 November 2019 9:18:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
the hoax continues. You diesel drivers have stolen my future. How dare you?
Posted by runner, Monday, 2 December 2019 8:37:17 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A woman driving a VW with this problem was killed a couple of years ago. VW's shonky practices have been well aired in the past. What does it have to do with climate change?
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 2 December 2019 8:40:22 AM
Is Mise. Here you are whinging about this stuff, and still blind to the problem the ABC actually is to society in general.
Seems to me you miss the picture here, as evinced by using them as a reference to a problem they were happy to support in the first instance.

The next major issue our very trustworthy-not ABC will back out of, is the calimity of gay rights and gender confusion.
That one will be more catastrophic than a couple of cars breaking down on the highway.

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Tuesday, 3 December 2019 5:58:51 AM
"What does it have to do with climate change?"

Maybe Is Mise sees a correlation between 'climate change' and emission standards.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Tuesday, 3 December 2019 9:29:03 AM
Dear Is Mise,

You wrote;

"It would seem that some of the requirements for less pollution spurred on by Climate Change are having unforeseen consequences."

What? Bulldust. Diesel emission standards have nothing to do with the fight against Climate Change but rather they are an effort to tackle the very real issue of diesel pollutants, some of which have been shown to be highly carcinogenic.

Part of the deal with the Democrats over the GST was to increase the standard for low sulfur diesel which is why cracker plants worth hundreds of millions of dollars were installed at our refineries. The standards are not as high as Europe and as a consequence our imported cars have older engines to cope with our dirtier fuels.

So I will have you stop making things up.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Tuesday, 3 December 2019 9:54:04 AM
Steele,

"What? Bulldust. Diesel emission standards have nothing to do with the fight against Climate Change but rather they are an effort to tackle the very real issue of diesel pollutants, some of which have been shown to be highly carcinogenic."

Do you really think that diesel emission standards have nothing to do with the push for climate change?

How very naive.
Posted by Is Mise, Tuesday, 3 December 2019 11:08:28 AM
SR you are totally unbelievable. What a convenient memory.

Diesel cars were pushed by some very dumb academics, & climate change gravy train riders, as a way to reduce CO2 emissions from cars. Typically as with all things climate change, these fools are unable to see past their bright ideas to see the actual consequences of those ideas.

Now those climate change fools want to ban the diesel cars they promoted from the city centers where they prefer to live.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 3 December 2019 11:14:41 AM
Dear Is Mise,

Oh good lord mate, emission standards being discussed here are different to efficiency standards.

A case in point is removing lead from petrol actually dropped the efficiency making it worse for CO2 emissions.

The particulate matter being caught in these filters is highly problematic an is a leading cause of cancer.

"In Australia, diesel engine exhaust is the second most common cancer causing agent (carcinogen) workers are exposed to, behind ultraviolet radiation exposure."
http://www.cancer.org.au/preventing-cancer/workplace-cancer/diesel.html

How about you admit you were wrong and be happy that today you at least got to learn something.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Tuesday, 3 December 2019 11:25:44 AM
AC,

The whole thing about VW emissions was that VW lied about their emission control: it wasn't what their specifications claimed. That, and the cutting out of engines causing at least one death doesn't seem to be related to climate change.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 3 December 2019 11:28:22 AM
Steele,

"Black carbon, a short-lived climate pollutant, is the second highest contributor to global warming after CO2. Black carbon has a warming effect many times more powerful than carbon dioxide, but it persists in the atmosphere for only a few weeks – so measures to reduce black carbon can also have an immediate effect on slowing the pace of climate change.

Diesel transport is one of the world’s major sources of black carbon (along with household biomass cookstoves). Not only does black carbon have a significant warming effect, but it is also a major component of particulate matter, the air pollutant most closely associated with increased air-pollution related mortality and morbidity."
http://www.who.int/sustainable-development/transport/health-risks/climate-impacts/en/
Posted by Is Mise, Tuesday, 3 December 2019 7:14:42 PM
Frivolous & unnecessary activities by frivolous minded people are the cause of pollution. Nature is the cause of Climate change !
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 4 December 2019 5:55:22 AM
Dear Is Mise,

Well mate, I will admit that is a new one on me. I will have to look into a bit more but it looks like you were right and that is at least part of the push to clean up our fuels. Just how much I have yet to determine.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Wednesday, 4 December 2019 4:17:56 PM
Steele,

Thanks for that.

Anyone contemplating buying a diesel car/van/ute, new or second hand (particularly the latter) should think twice because the maintenance costs can become horrific.

There is also the new problem of sludge/carbon build up in the engines that requires expensive work to clean it out, a bit like the old days of petrol engines and regular decoking.
Posted by Is Mise, Friday, 6 December 2019 11:10:05 AM
They'll have to come up with a new kind of Diesel for boats, because Petrol on boats is a no-no !
Posted by individual, Saturday, 7 December 2019 8:35:53 AM
They'll have to come up with a new kind of Diesel for boats, because Petrol on boats is a no-no !
individual.

Only for fools individual.

I did 53,000 nautical miles cruising the Oz east coast & much of the Pacific islands in a yacht with petrol powered engine, Honda generator & outboard for the dingy. Petrol is fine if used intelligently.

Of course it is only suitable for boats, ships need something more economical.
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 7 December 2019 11:07:42 AM
Petrol is fine if used intelligently.
Hasbeen,
And, Diesel even more so !
Posted by individual, Sunday, 8 December 2019 6:37:45 AM
Diesel is fine on larger work boats individual. I ran a fleet of fast & slow tourist day trip, & overnight boats on the reef. Some of these could burn 500 gallons of diesel an hour at full speed.

The larger of these had the cabins, of 204 & 325 passenger capacity totally removed from the hulls on rubber mounts. These were fine, but normal boats always had some smell of diesel permeating the air to some extent.

I have been on many cruising yachts around the Pacific with that awful odor. Each time I started to think the much higher efficiency of a diesel, one of these would talk me out of it.

The fact that you still had to carry petrol for the dinghy outboard made changing from a petrol motor a bit pointless.
Posted by Hasbeen, Sunday, 8 December 2019 10:08:13 AM
Some of these could burn 500 gallons of diesel an hour at full speed.
Hasbeen,
Yeah well, that's because of two bad reasons;
1; you wanted to make as much money as you could
2; because you were pandering to impatient hordes who had no appreciation for the reef anyway. Much of the diesel most likely went into the air conditioning units for the pale Southerners who also poured gallons of Sunscreen lotion onto themselves & which subsequently poisoned the coral !
Then, you blamed the farmers for it !
Posted by individual, Sunday, 8 December 2019 3:50:52 PM
What a miserable rant individual, I'm surprised at you.

We ran high speed boats because the trip to the outer reef required high speed. We had 8 hours to take people out to the reef, show them what was there, & bring them back. A traditional launch, traveling at 10 knots took about 4 hours to get there, & 4 hours to get back giving exactly zero time to show people the reef. The fast boats gave 3 hours for diving, snorkeling & coral viewing on the reef.

Horses for courses, we also had traditional launches for different jobs, such as extended reef charter fishing trips. My favorite was a 45Ft launch, catering to 8 guests, up to 10 at a squeeze. She did only 8 knots, but did so burning only 5 liters an hour, thus could stay out there for up to 10 days.

Occasionally I could get away with skippering one of these myself. You were on duty 24/7 on these trips, but it was wonderful relaxation after weeks of 7 AM to 7 Pm in the office, or surrounded with tourists on the large boats.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 10 December 2019 2:54:38 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy