The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is this for real ?

Is this for real ?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/road-rager-in-a-depressive-episode-when-he-bashed-woman-court-told-20191022-p53342.html

I couldn't believe what I was reading ! Are there really such Magistrates being paid by us Tax payers ?
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 22 October 2019 5:08:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yep. It's real. Magistrates and Judges in this country are a disgrace. Jail is the only place for thugs like that, depressed or not. Jail might be a food place for some magistrates and judges, too.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 22 October 2019 10:31:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hey individual,
Unfortunately I'm paywalled from reading your article.
I can't see whether the girl in question was on or off duty.

I did however read a similar type of article last week where a 20 year old kicked a paramedic.

(Since when did we start calling them paramedics anyway)

http://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/courts-law/sydney-man-kicked-paramedic-because-he-didnt-want-to-go-to-hospital-court-hears/news-story/5f0f0ce27f4726a76f0cb0b0007f261e

I don't in any wish to come across as defending the perpetrators but there's a point I want to contribute from my article.

Quote "They also show Geelan was assessed by paramedics who made the decision to take him to hospital."

So it wasn't the police who made the decision to take him to hospital it was the Ambo's.
(preferred Aussie vernacular)

Now is it wrong for me question whether they're being placed in harms way themselves by having the power to incarcerate a citizen against their will?
Pro's and Con's here are that alternatively, not taking this man to hospital might also be considered a breach of a duty of care?
Or in his current state an unacceptable risk to other members of the public?

In any case, I just wanted to make the point that Ambo's themselves are making decisions to detain people against their will.
Surely that in itself increases the chances of a potential confrontation.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Wednesday, 23 October 2019 3:06:02 AM
Indy remember to take the s off and your links will work
Not sure about the story but not pleased with our justice system
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 23 October 2019 4:55:23 AM
For those who can't access the Link

The victim, Erin, was in her paramedic uniform on her way back from a placement when Burke cut her off on the Western Port Highway.
The now 22-year-old had been driving erratically, braking suddenly, and forcing his victim to drive on the wrong side of the road to escape.
Burke then followed her for 10 kilometres before confronting the victim when she stopped at Somerville and then argued with her before he hit her.

The punch knocked her to the ground.

"Where's the justice?" her father asked after Burke was ordered to serve a community corrections order.

Magistrate Johanna Metcalf admitted she "wrestled" with the decision to impose the order on Burke.
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 23 October 2019 5:38:53 AM
What a dreadful thing to have happened.

This violent bashing of the young student paramedic
could have ended much worse. She could have been killed
or had serious brain injuries. As it is she ended up with
a fractured eye socket and a split eyebrow after being
violently bashed with a deodorant can by Joshua Burke,
a 21 year old young man who declared "I'm not afraid
to hit a girl."

He pleaded guilty to a string of offences including the
possession of cannabis and a controlled weapon. He also
smashed her car window and kicked her side mirror.

All because she flashed her lights at him for cutting
her off and forcing her to drive on the wrong side of
the road. He chased her and when she pulled over he
bashed the heck out of her.

The judge gave him a 24 month community corrections order
with 300 hours of community service and judicial monitoring
as well as a $500 fine. The judge also declared that if
he slips up a jail sentence will be imposed.

In the meantime the young lass had to undergo surgery
and is still getting over the trauma.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 23 October 2019 9:51:10 AM
Magistrates and Judges incarcerate according to the places available in the incarceration system....has nothing to do with justice or protection of the masses....another bi product of social insolence ...expect more of it in today's 'civilized' society....and before your feverish fingers reach for the keyboard....this has nothing to do with the Muslims
Posted by Special Delivery, Wednesday, 23 October 2019 10:18:27 AM
Does anyone know when being a bleeding heart idiot became a required qualification to become a magistrate in this country?
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 23 October 2019 10:29:05 AM
Individual six months in prison, for that judge
Two years for the thing
Face it the wrong people become Magistrates and judges
50 years ago, a demented man, sitting in judgment in Wollongong NSW GAVE A MAN TEN YEARS IN PRISON, FOR HAVING BALDY Tyers
We need the right to vote to sack such idiots
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 23 October 2019 10:43:23 AM
Agree 100% Belly.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 23 October 2019 10:47:05 AM
Let's be grateful that we live in a country where our
legal system is capable of judging an individual by
both what he has done and whether they are capable of
change.

As for the quality of appointed judges? The system
appoints them and all we can do is believe that they
are qualified. The rest lies with our system.
Perhaps that's why justice wears a blindfold?
It's all about the law - not justice?
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 23 October 2019 10:54:21 AM
Hey individual,

Based on what you've said,

I suppose whether she was in a official capacity as a paramedic at the time makes little difference, although she might've gotten some compo if it happened on the job.

For the 'driving erratically, braking suddenly, and forcing his victim to drive on the wrong side of the road to escape';
(this didn't just endanger the victim but potentially other motorists and pedestrians as well)
Pursuing her for 10 kilometers should've been enough time to rethink what he was doing.
- was there more speeding / dangerous driving?

And the fact the fact that it ended up in a confrontation where he physically attacked a female who was likely physically weaker than him.

For the driving offenses, it has to be 5 years loss of license, just for starters.

For the assault occasioning bodily harm against a physically weaker female after already chasing her down, I'd say that's worth 2 years jail.
If he has any prior history for dangerous driving, assault or domestic violence add more jail time,
and if he hasn't had a previous conviction (age 20) take some off.
- But it's definitely worth at least a years jail minimum, probably more.

Even if she cut him off and gave him the finger there's still no justification for doing any of the things he did.
I hope she's recovered well and isn't suffering permanent injuries.

Was the victim known to the offender?
Posted by Armchair Critic, Wednesday, 23 October 2019 10:56:01 AM
I have had dealings with such Magistrates in matters break-in ! My perception is that at times, they're literally worse than the culprits they let off.
They totally ignore the losses incurred by the victims. Some Magistrates & Judges really aren't helping society. Neither do the Civil Libertarians.
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 23 October 2019 7:44:36 PM
I think one has to keep in mind that judges and magistrates do a damn good job considering that they are probably half-drunk most of the time.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Wednesday, 23 October 2019 8:08:09 PM
Poor girl, I bet for all the times she raced to help others, those few minutes probably seemed like forever till her own ambo came, and pretty harsh finding herself in the back with all those injuries.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Thursday, 24 October 2019 2:00:15 AM
If she required medical attention/procedure then why doesn't the Judge/Magistrate impose upon the culprit to pay the bills instead of the taxpayers ? The one & only real reason why these though deficient hotheads behave so badly is because there's no deterrent. Had he parked in a disabled parking space he'd receive a fine but not for failing to control his temper !
The Law is seriously undermining Justice here, not good enough !
Posted by individual, Friday, 25 October 2019 5:15:24 AM
I couldn't believe what I was reading ! Are there really such Magistrates being paid by us Tax payers?

https://todayswertresresult.com/swertres-hearing/
Posted by Lyle, Monday, 11 November 2019 4:42:33 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy