The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Laws that seem stupid

Laws that seem stupid

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. All
NSW has a law outlawing knives [sadly did not stop this days madness in Sydney]
But it includes farmers are not able to wear the pocket knives they use so much in town
Few of us will be against bans on using mobile hand held phones while driving
But police now say you can be booked if you use it at Macas drive in, to pay for your food?
Facebook has to be a hoax! now says you can be booked if your passenger uses one while you drive?
Local cop, earning a unkind name, even with other cops, booked a man for insecure load
Because his work boots lay in the well type utes back
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 13 August 2019 3:49:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We had a bloke fined $240 for a pair of thongs unsecured in his ute tray ! And a woman was fined for not being able to wind down her car window when she was on her way to get it fixed !
What's more stupid, the Law or the Copper ?
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 13 August 2019 6:58:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
In NSW at least general duties cops openly tell us highway patrol give them a bad name
The use the phone to pay?insanity usually you are barely moving cars in front and behind
Why not book pedestrians for wandering across the road using them
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 14 August 2019 5:44:53 AM
Belly,
As I have stated countless times, there are Police Officers & there are Coppers !
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 14 August 2019 9:55:38 AM
Well indy the thread flopped but we did try see you in another one
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 14 August 2019 12:02:54 PM
Given some of our road laws have seemed ridiculous recently. Nonetheless, the police must implement them come what may. Lately, I've become dismayed and annoyed at some of the activities performed by a minority of police, ostensibly enforcing the Road Rules. Whatever happened to a 'fair pinch'; using a bit of discretion; even a foul detected, but a roadside pardon is prescribed? Detectives can cut offenders some slack if they're prepared to cooperate in a criminal inquiry.

Today, a few of the new breed allow their conferred powers to go to their heads. But they should remember and remember well, with power, comes accountability, and if they exercise that power injudiciously, they'll pay and pay dearly, when they ultimately 'jump the box.'

Moreover, they'll further erode the public's confidence in the police force, and in doing so, the publics cooperation with them will inevitably wane, thus being the most regrettable of all outcomes of bad policing. The police will always need the publics cooperation to do their job.
Posted by o sung wu, Wednesday, 14 August 2019 12:20:37 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This is another fascinating topic that comes with its own can of worms. Lots of the arguments surrounding law and society can actually be traced back to early ancient Rome where a rowdy commoner could be dragged from the crowd, stripped and flogged, followed by a good old-fashion beheading; all without a chance of appeal. The good old days! The civilised Brits didn't introduce a police force until the 18th century and then only to protect the interests of the growing class of industrialists and keep the new underclasses at bay.

Really all comes down to questions about how the State maintains power and authority and monopolises its right to use violence in society by maintaining standards and seemingly 'stupid' laws that only serve to advantage the State. Sad part is it has produced an endless stream of gin-soaked ignorant lawyers who feed off the misery of others.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Wednesday, 14 August 2019 1:12:27 PM
Wise words o sung wo be assured I am no hater of the police, have won good mates because of my understanding what the world would be like without them
Too understand some are only following orders
Elephant ears, highway parol commander much loved by all, handed out more warnings than tickets
Mr Opinion yes very true not sure why but some laws are mad
One miserable person, NEAR A PARK, forced council to put up a sign warning kids to play without making a noise.
Councils are home of not very bright failures
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 14 August 2019 3:38:23 PM
Hi there BELLY old mate...

There's an old legal maxim that goes along something like this; '...the public deserve the police force they get...'? Meaning I guess, whoever the public vote into to office, they deserve the status and quality of law-enforcement, the elected government gives them.

Be that as it may. Policing is a co-operative venture. And for it to succeed and function successfully, requires assistance from the public, as well as a high standard of professional policing. Law-enforcement can't work effectively, with one, without the other.
Posted by o sung wu, Wednesday, 14 August 2019 5:33:10 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
o sung wo that special bond most cops have with each other is noted and understood
This thread is not a kick a cop one
Now once, in my area we radio operators set out bases and start finish points, to give a running report on the local annual long distance push bike race
Half the competitors being cops
Highway patrol called it off, mid race one year
Let me tell you the air was blue,and cop on cop
We have bicycle lanes, but riders often ignore them and ride three abreast on the road?
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 14 August 2019 6:03:59 PM
It used to be a case of one bad apple in every crate, now it appears to be half a crate in every crate !
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 14 August 2019 7:42:40 PM
http://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/213-dollar-fine-drivers-leave-car-003258245.html

Yahoo Finance has confirmed with NSW Police that the penalty for leaving your vehicle unlocked and walking away further than 3 metres is now $114.

This is blatent theft.
The real crime is stealing someone elses car.

Now they want to make regular people criminals if we don't do due diligence to prevent other criminals.

This country 's going downhill real fast.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Wednesday, 14 August 2019 9:40:13 PM
AC not agreeing with you here, see car thieves have killed innocents and stopping them is ok by me
But try this, ignoring a bicycle lane riders do ride on the road
Leaving said lane empty, but if a car drives there?
No one has commented on the use phone in Macas drive to pay, stupid stuff
Cops in early days of the new knife laws haunted local cattle sale yard pinching farmers for pen knives!
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 15 August 2019 7:07:19 AM
Hey Belly,
I have a few of the takeaway apps on my phone so I know which ones you'll need to pull the phone out for in the drive thru.

Macca's seems to be the most responsible actually, as you can't use the app in the drive thru. You have to go in store, and some of their daily deals are pretty good like 2 Big Macs for $6. Add a couple of Junior Burgers for $1 each.

Hungry Jacks has a 'Shake and Win' app for which you need to scan a barcode on your phone, the app often gives you things like $3 Bacon Deluxe or a free drink or sundae. If you use this with coupons say '2 Whopper Jnr's and 2 small chips for $5.65' and get a $3 Bacon deluxe or a free drink or sundae on the Shake and Win, it works out ok.
The best hack at hungry jacks is 'Can I have an ice-cream cone in a cup with a squirt of chocolate' gets you a mini choc sundae for 60 cents.

With Red Rooster they have a loyalty card 'Rooster Rewards' (which gives you a free meal on your birthday and more rewards the more you go), but I misplaced my card, however I found out I can still access that scan needed from my card via the app, meaning you don't need your loyalty card if you use the app.
Sometimes they have $5 Quarter chicken and chips.

Kfc don't really have any particularly good deals on their app (as with Red Rooster)though they sometimes have a $5 lunch deal.
Best I've seen on the app is 2 Chicken Fillet burger or Twister meals for $11.95
I've never used the Kfc app in the drive thru and don't know if they allow you to.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Thursday, 15 August 2019 8:29:54 AM
[Cont.]
Re: Windows down - What about if the cars parked in your own driveway and your working on it checking oil levels or topping up your radiator or pouring hot water on the battery terminals to remove the buildup? What if you head inside to get a bit of TP to wipe the dipstick on, or boil and retrieve the kettle or ducking around the side to the tap to get the hose?

They going to fine me for this too?

We have existing laws that should prevent theft and trespass.
If those laws aren't working then increase the damn penalties for those crimes.
Don't make me a criminal by decree of incompetence.
Any idiot with a license can obtain a vehicle at a car yard for a test drive anyway if they wanted to;
Or they could just buy a $200 shitebox on gumtree without a license with their dole money.

What is everyone supposed to wind their windows up and lock their cars at the bloody servo now?

- Because the criminals are dictating the laws -

Are these criminals uncontrollable 13 and 14 year olds by any chance?
You know the ones who by law aren't permitted to be smacked by their parents?
Posted by Armchair Critic, Thursday, 15 August 2019 8:35:09 AM
This is blatent theft.
The real crime is stealing someone elses car.
Armchair Critic,
A Police Officer will tell you to be more careful, a Copper will fine you !
A Police officer will make a moral on-the-spot judgement, a Copper will make a technical judgement !
Posted by individual, Thursday, 15 August 2019 12:56:29 PM
Armchair Critic you highlight a sillness from our lawmakers
And remind me why I rarely eat the fast foods you mention do think the burgers are better at hungry jacks but add salt always, bland in every case KFC? had my first on the day the first one opened in this country Woodville road Guildford
Thought it was the best thing in the world
We have silly laws and laws that should be but are not
Like the tragic event in Sydney, convince me if you can that young man should have walked out of court ten days before he commited murder
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 15 August 2019 12:59:40 PM
Hi there INDIVIDUAL...

Your delineation between a police officer and a copper is a good one I reckon. Regrettably, there are quite a few of the 'ass-wipe' variety in the job, and to be honest I'd put it down to Recruiting, putting too much emphasis on academia, rather than good old fashioned, 'common dog f...k', a vital necessity in any decent Police Officer. Still, I'm an old codger now, so what would I know?
Posted by o sung wu, Thursday, 15 August 2019 1:33:05 PM
o sung wu,
Cheers, I'm an apprentice old codger now, just starting !
Posted by individual, Thursday, 15 August 2019 2:24:50 PM
Hi (again) INDIVIDUAL...

Old mate, when you've completed your apprenticeship, I hope you have many long, happy, and enjoyable years, as a bona fide ol' codger! Take it easy always.
Posted by o sung wu, Thursday, 15 August 2019 3:54:24 PM
So you get booked for leaving your car open,
What do they do about roofless sports cars ?
Posted by Bazz, Thursday, 15 August 2019 4:55:27 PM
Bazz,
That's why Belly rightly called it "stupid Laws".
Posted by individual, Thursday, 15 August 2019 6:28:19 PM
Still think the intention is to not make it easy for thieves
Not Sure However why we have so many truly weird laws
Or why some new ones clearly needed, say bail reform is not put in place
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 15 August 2019 7:30:54 PM
Any one who needs to spam us must understand the business they promote is not worth trading with in any case
Posted by Belly, Friday, 16 August 2019 5:52:38 AM
Hi there SHIRIK...

I'd caution you in using any of these online Dating Sites, whether it's 'DateJasmine' or anyone else for that matter. A case of caveat emptor I'm afraid.

You asked if there are any specific laws that 'oversee' any of these social/dating organisations? To my knowledge, there's nothing definite. That said, if you've paid money to any such organisation, and you feel 'ripped-off' there are criminal sanctions that can be entertained.

Nevertheless, the police are reluctant to commence an investigation into alleged fraud, unless there's sufficient evidence that there is a significant & systematic fraud being perpetrated. And only then, it would depend on the amount of money & the number of complainants involved. Please remember, police resources are often spread pretty thinly, so to launch an investigation into any such crimes, is both costly and labour intensive. I hope this is of some assistance to you SHIRIK.
Posted by o sung wu, Friday, 16 August 2019 6:06:16 PM
Hello, o sung wu! But on the Internet, there are a lot of stories that you can find a couple there, why then they write about it?
Yes, I'm talking about the regulation of relations, itís all very utopian, but people are pretty cruel, why not minimize the pain.
Posted by Shirik, Friday, 16 August 2019 6:09:42 PM
shirik be careful in posting such links
We get spam from those desperate to publicise their failed site/business
Proving the site is not worth dealing with in the end
Question, are you such a poster?
Posted by Belly, Friday, 16 August 2019 6:52:53 PM
Over thirty years ago I was driving an old ex Railway Austin bus that I'd converted into a motor-home.
Going up a steep hill that had double centre lines, I saw a police car coming up behind me and as the bus was slow I pulled over the sideline and allowed the police to pass.

The driver gave me an appreciative wave and drove on; some 20 km further on there was a Breath-alyser stop, I pulled in and went through the routine of blowing in the tube and the Constable said, "Thanks for pulling over for us back there but did you know that you could've been booked?

I asked what for, and he told me that I'd crossed an unbroken line and did not do so to turn or stop.
He told me that when the DMR (as it then was) started painting unbroken lines on the side of the carriageways there was no exemption made and the law applying to unbroken centre lines also applied to the sidelines.

Over the years this little bit of stupidity must have added to the NSW coffers and it was not repealed until about three years ago after a New England grazier pulled his horse float over the sideline to let a police car go past and he was booked and copped a $400 plus fine.
Posted by Is Mise, Friday, 16 August 2019 10:23:41 PM
That in my view proves you are spamming and it has been reported
Yes worked for the DMR, had been roads board before that then RTA then marine and some thing
These days? an empty shell without a name
Those lines, no longer yellow unbroken, it was found to be cheaper to paint them in one color
Back to the possible spam, ANY ONE who needs to haunt online pages trying to place free adds is sell a product not worth buying
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 17 August 2019 6:05:07 AM
So, if you suspect engine etc problems & pull over to the side & off the road you could get fined ? Sounds like fairly normal bureaucratic stupidity !
Posted by individual, Saturday, 17 August 2019 8:25:19 AM
Belly,
Next Wednesday will be a test of just how stupid our laws are.

The verdict of George Pell's appeal against conviction will be handed down.

Here we have a situation where one person says certain things happened and another says that did not occur. There has been no supporting evidence for the allegations, yet he was found guilty. It is really stupid that a person can be found guilty on allegations alone.

Apparently the law was changed in recent times to allow this to happen. It used to be that there was no case without supporting evidence or the accused had to be found not guilty. It was up to the accusers to establish proof.

No wonder people have no faith in the law. Another question is why did it take a couple of months to come to a decision after the appeal?

Interesting times next week.
Posted by HenryL, Saturday, 17 August 2019 11:42:23 AM
Here we go opinion based on private bias not truth
Pell will in all probability walk free
Power and influence buys justice in this country
Because that is true the Roman Catholic Church is doomed
Brother down from Evans Head, we both spoke about our Childhood in a Christian a home [Protestant]
And how as kids, we *thought Catholics to be the very top draw of Christians*
Now? we both wonder how we could have been so silly
IF that Church is to survive it, no others, MUST be open about its past and spearheading change and accountability, it is not however up to either task
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 17 August 2019 12:05:29 PM
Hi (again) SHIRIK...

Mate, I've tried to explain to you, not to spend money on any of these 'on-line' Sites offering male or female companionship/marriage. If you do, you will surely lose your money, and the only recourse is to lodge a complaint with the police (good luck with that?) or better still, consult a solicitor to recover your losses.

Please, whatever lure they may've offered you, don't give any of these clowns money, as you will surely lose it, guaranteed. Another thing SHIRIK, you can't enact laws to stop fools from losing their money, plain & simple.

And as you say, their Sites are all very fanciful, and perhaps to some, cruel. Nonetheless, life can be cruel, and occasionally we all have to learn an important lesson from that cruelty, in order not to repeat it, and make the same mistake twice. Good luck to you.
Posted by o sung wu, Saturday, 17 August 2019 2:02:47 PM
Individual,

Pulling over the unbroken sideline was OK if you wanted to stop or turn but not if you were just being courteous and not holding up the traffic.
Posted by Is Mise, Saturday, 17 August 2019 3:52:54 PM
o sungwo in total agreement, but it seems our friend was spam, in fact trying to get us to go to a web page
As you will know they can not be trusted, silly old men and women find a younger true love
Usually in love with their money not them
Social media is full of fraudsters
Get involved in community things, volunteer, be part of social life love will find you if you look in the right places
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 17 August 2019 4:04:24 PM
Hi there BELLY old friend...

What you say is very sage advice, my friend. The best way of meeting people is through the usual things like community or Church activities. 'Parents without Partners' is another good group to meet people of either sex. It's just a matter of carefully looking around, and you'll generally see the genuine people who're seeking a relationship.

I will say one thing though, loneliness is a terrible scourge in our society, and it can add untold (negative) pressures on people who crave a relationship, at any cost. It is this group of people for whom I have the most sympathy.
Posted by o sung wu, Saturday, 17 August 2019 4:36:20 PM
Belly,

"Power and influence buys justice in this country"

Good to see that you think that the Catholic Church will not use power or influence in Australia.
Posted by Is Mise, Saturday, 17 August 2019 7:52:50 PM
Think, do you? ever?wait and see Wednesday this week
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 18 August 2019 12:23:02 PM
Belly,

If, as you contend, power and influence can undermine the law, then why was Pell ever convicted?

You can't have it both ways.
Posted by Is Mise, Sunday, 18 August 2019 12:50:44 PM
Here's one,

Taken from a Police Fact Sheet,

"What firearms are applicable to a Category A firearms licence?
* Air rifles.
* Rimfire rifles (other than self-loading).
* Shotguns (other than pump action, lever action or self-loading).
* Shotgun/rimfire combinations...

What firearms are applicable to a Category B firearms licence?
* Muzzle-loading firearms (other than pistols).
* Centre-fire rifles (other than self-loading).
* Shotgun/centre-fire rifle combinations.
* Lever action shotguns with a magazine capacity of no more than 5 rounds"
http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/133198/Licence_Categories_and_Firearm_Types_FACT_Sheet.pdf

Category A is less stringent than Cat B

So on Cat A one can have a powerful double barrel 12 gauge shotgun that automatically ejects the fired shells, automatically re-cocks the weapon and can be fired at 20 rounds a minute (easily)
http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/pair-of-self-opening-single-trigger-sidelock-ejector-game-shotguns-by-james-purdey-with-magnificent-gold-inlaid-birds-and-meticulous-scroll-by-marcus-hunt-with-case-s9427/
These examples are a BIT extreme but the basic mechanicals are the same!!

But to own a replica of a 1788 Brown Bess musket which must be loaded from the muzzle using separate powder and projectile(s) and inserting these down the barrel with a ramrod, then manually cocking the hammer and manually putting priming powder into the pan, then closing the frizzen (pan cover).
Shots per minute?
Usually one, but two is possible and the British Army was credited with being able to fire four, but without much accuracy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_Bess
So why is a primitive weapon of 300 years ago in the higher category?

Seems a stupid law.
Posted by Is Mise, Sunday, 18 August 2019 4:37:37 PM
Yesterday and again today, my drug of choice market days, went to two
Today that is one yesterday
All three had bows and arrows, yet they are not legal
Now yes I want a slug gun, to murder Indian Minors
Bows are far more likely to harm than slug guns surely
Minors are nesting in my roof, contaminating my water tanks
Stealing other birds young and eggs
So no guilt in killing the invaders
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 18 August 2019 5:09:27 PM
Belly,

I sympathise with your bird problem but must point out that bows and arrows are legal and are not restricted at all as regards ownership and commonsense use.

The simple single-shot slug air gun is, however, Category A under the gun laws, right up there with .22 rimfire rifles and breech-loading shotguns (up to 10 gauge).
Posted by Is Mise, Sunday, 18 August 2019 5:40:38 PM
Minors are nesting in my roof, contaminating my water tanks
Belly,
You heartless brute, the bacteria will starve to death if you kill the minors !
Posted by individual, Sunday, 18 August 2019 6:22:53 PM
"Not to be confused with Common miner or Noisy miner.
"Common myna,

The common myna or Indian myna (Acridotheres tristis), sometimes spelled mynah,[2] is a member of the family Sturnidae (starlings and mynas) native to Asia. An omnivorous open woodland bird with a strong territorial instinct, the myna has adapted extremely well to urban environments.

The range of the common myna is increasing at such a rapid rate that in 2000 the IUCN Species Survival Commission declared it one of the world's most invasive species and one of only three birds in the top 100 species that pose an impact to biodiversity, agriculture and human interests.[3] In particular, the species poses a serious threat to the ecosystems of Australia where it was named "The Most Important Pest/Problem".[4]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_myna

They were originally imported to eat pest insects but soon decided that Australia offered opportunities to spread and prosper.

They are adaptive and I once saw one go repeatedly into a rainwater downpipe and into the drain, judging by the scrabbling up the pipe and emerge with worms in its beak.
Posted by Is Mise, Sunday, 18 August 2019 7:10:54 PM
Ise Mise we had a thread [started by me] about them years ago'
In those days we had fine women posters we never see now
One took offense at my attitude to the invading pests
Up and down coastal NSW and Victoria councils lend traps to catch and kill them
Very very many years ago, a very famous author wrote of them in Fiji
He rightly named them invasive
Yet while they have turned some natives in to refugees rarely seen, some actually keep them as pet caged pets
A local runs a hospital for them
Be civic minded it is my duty to help
I have every intention of keeping her bird hospital hard at work helping the ones I wing, hopefully not many, still get the kill shot most times
Posted by Belly, Monday, 19 August 2019 7:36:40 AM
Well maybe we have had our run but it was interesting
Just now, having re read this days news, it came to me the most ridiculous law of all never got a run
That being our justice system itself
One story told of an increased sentence for a woman who murdered and extra five years
There, that highlights a truth almost all of us have held and spoken about
To me at least our law often, seems in the hands of folk very much remote from the average person
Blind to our views wants and concerns
People walk free then commit more crime even murder
We see terrorist get forty years , ok by me, but murderers get twenty
Our justice system is in the hands of an elite and group remote from average views
And we need reform dreadfully
Posted by Belly, Monday, 19 August 2019 1:54:40 PM
Here'e anotherie,

Last Saturday at the pistol range I was shooting next to a chap who was firing a 9mm pistol.

This morning I put on the light coat that I was wearing on Saturday and in the local supermarket, I found a fired 9mm cartridge in my top left-hand pocket.

The only way that it could have got there was that it ejected and landed in the pocket.

No problem in the rest of Australia, but if I was in Western Australia I'd be guilty of a firearm offence for being in possession of a fired cartridge.

So much for uniform firearm laws.

What a joke (except if one lives in WA).
Posted by Is Mise, Tuesday, 20 August 2019 3:16:36 PM
Ise Mise did not know that
It sounds insane
But let us face it so to do many mad laws
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 20 August 2019 5:13:01 PM
http://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/our-children-are-not-safe-drawings-found-on-notorious-paedophile-s-wall-20190820-p52ith.html
Read this horror story
See the long dead young girls photo, remember how we felt on hearing the news
Tell tell me our laws are not insane
It hurts to know we must fight just to keep this man in prison
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 20 August 2019 5:17:31 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy