The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > We are stuffed

We are stuffed

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Luciferase,
An ex workmate is still chasing work at 74 because he can't afford to pay the rates for his 6 properties ! And, the Govt won't give him an old age pension. I wonder what the problem might be there ?
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 13 August 2019 7:14:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I sometimes wondered just where SR could get his political advice, & his education in ways of the world.

Now we know. He is tutored by his local real estate agent.

Wonders will never cease.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 13 August 2019 10:58:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hell may be SR is right.

British University chief bans all beef from campus in fight against 'climate change emergency'

The lady concerned was previously head of the London College of Fashion, so she is sure to have great math, & be right on top of the facts & misinformation on climate change.

And some people want more women in management positions. It must be a communist plot to get the totally incompetent in charge of the west.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 13 August 2019 11:06:46 PM
Hey Diver Dan
"Have you ever tried smoking a nicotine patch?"

Nope not me, but I've heard that's what they used to do in prison since the government outlawed smoking in all government buildings.
- That is until they've stopped giving out the patches for the reasons below:

I'm told inmates previously soaked the tea out of the teabags;
Then soak the nicotine out of the patch
Then dry the tea-bag out, and soak the tea in the nicotine.
Then dry the nicotine infused tea for a second time.

- Not sure what they used for papers -

Then they put foil into a wall plug to short it out to light it or use a toilet paper wick; where you take a long piece of toilet paper (say 20 or 30 sheets), fold in half lengthwise a few times, then with 2 people twist the toilet paper in opposite directions.

- Light one end and it will burn for hours -

"97% of the homeless smoke cigarettes.
So do you suggest then, homelessness is as easy to toss as giving up cigarettes?"

I think homelessness might be easier to toss if one was serious about not being homeless;
That discussion aside, I certainly think giving up smoking would be genereally harder for people on the street because their lives are probably more stressful than those who have homes.

The point I was making however is that these people can get a months patches for $5.50 on PBS, and the patches do seem to cut down the cravings by half = for 20 cents a day. Even if your not on a government payment, at $50 box it's still less than 2 bucks a day (or 2 cigarettes) for a patch.

Good value, whether you do or don't value your health.

But I wasn't criticising your selfless act of helping improve someones spirits and their day, just so you know.
It's your money, and you have every right to spend it however you choose.
I'm certain you made a uplifting difference to that persons day.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Wednesday, 14 August 2019 12:48:21 AM
AC

I'm pretty amused by your inmate innovation description. I spent a couple of years locked away every weekend, and I can assure you your right on the target.
I was forcibly acquainted with the worst of all alcoholics, drug dependants and just plain mad in my local area. But my greatest sympathy was towards the guards. That's the worst most thankless job.

But cigarettes and alcohol are highly addictive. Some people just simply can't leave them alone. And the fact is, the high price of cigarettes and extreme rents are crippling people's lives.
It's best not to oversimplify it.

Hasbeen above has come the closest to the truth. The wrong people get control of the lives of the everyday person.

When the likes of the old mate that kicked off this thread, whine on about how bad the world is for them, because the poor people a borrowing money to buy a house for themselves and their families, that's the sort of selfish clown we don't need exercising ANY influence over our communities, which comprise a majority sector of the "economically excluded" .

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Wednesday, 14 August 2019 6:22:00 AM
So, National Service will not solve homelessness ? Get the young ones into barracks & make them look after the old ones ! After 18-24 months they'll have a totally different, more caring & responsible mentality. It will solve homelessness !
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 14 August 2019 8:28:32 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy