The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > There Is No Place For Race In Our Constitution

There Is No Place For Race In Our Constitution

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 41
  11. 42
  12. 43
  13. All
cont'd ...

Would a First Nations voice in the Constitution divide
our nation by "race" and undermine the principle of
equality? Or would it create a more complete
Commonwealth addressing injustices of the past and
bringing the three parts of our nation - our ancient
Indigenous heritage, our British institutional
inheritance, and the multicultural character of our
society into deeper accord?

Recognition of Indigenous rights is a reality the
world over, and it has nothing to do with race.
In some countries the Indigenous people are white.
The Sami in Scandinavia have blonde hair and blue
eyes.

The "equality" objectors posit that ordinary democratic
processes are enough for the First Nations to have
their say - even when Parliament makes decisions about
their unique rights.

However, objectors ignore the fact that historically the
Constitution has excluded Indigenous Australians from
our democracy. Before 1967 Indigenous Australians were
excluded from being counted in the census for the
purposes of voting. The Constitution also empowered laws
and policies that denied Indigenous voting rights,
property rights, equal wages, and asserted
unequal protectionist controls.

We can't continue to preach equality, but keep enacting
and demonstrating discriminatory double standards.
They ask only to be heard.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 12 July 2019 7:23:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear mhaze,

You opine; “Unlike many other policies the elites are able to push through against the will of the people (eg 150000-200000 immigrants pa)”

I know very few of my 'progressive' friends and acquaintances think these kind of levels of immigration are desirable at all.

These are being driven purely by big business and governments who are too scared to take the foot off the pedal because they know it is the only thing which is keeping us from a recession.

Dear o sung wu,

Thank you for acknowledging the point about money not hitting the ground. I'm wondering though if you had considered the further point I raised?

“What would you say to having 10 billion of this paid as compensation for use of indigenous land. It would then be distributed to Aboriginal organisations for them to care and sustain their communities. Now it is rent rather than welfare and controlled by the 'landlord' rather than crumbs given to the beggar.”

Are you up for it?
Posted by SteeleRedux, Friday, 12 July 2019 7:28:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi (again) STEELEREDUX...

In principle, I would support the proposition one hundred percent. My main problem, I don't have much faith in many of those groups or organizations entrusted to 'fairly' distribute the money amongst the neediest of these 'Beggers' as you so quaintly describe them?

Someone always has to take their cut, a fee for services rendered, or some tariff, for merely doing their job. From my own practical experience, many of these proud black men, distrust virtually anything, the white man's government does for them. Give a black man a Dollar, by the time all the helpers take their cut, the black man ends up owing; $1.50.

I believe there are very few genuinely altruistic people, in regular interaction with our indigenous people. I hope I'm wrong. I know those who ferment liquor and mfg. Illicit drugs, do a roaring business among the humpies, in dry creek beds, that passes for some of our indigenous folk's, usual place of abode?

More money is not the answer. The money that's already been allocated, in recent Budgets, should be spent, much more wisely I believe. Extend the use of the 'Food Cards' have it closely audited, not for any misuse by the recipient, but those who would seek to take advantage of the beneficiary
Posted by o sung wu, Friday, 12 July 2019 9:10:50 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
o sung wu, my feelings about the black fella's is well known on this forum. I have always explained why, and so it is that we keep hearing about equality and that WE don't do enough for them or we don't give enough money.
Now ALL the criticisms us white fella's have had to endure, enough is enough.
If everyone is being honest, this is one country and if we are supposed to be equal, then why the hell are we throwing billions of dollars at the blacks?
I charge the govt and the morons of this country with bias, favoritism, prejudice, and racism.
If you want equality, then start by withholding all the benefits that the blacks get, over the rest of the population.
All this money they allegedly get goes into the back pockets of the scumbags who manage or oversea it's distribution.
The current system is being rorted so bad that if it were truly investigated, firstly the public would not believe the findings and secondly there would be a lot of people going to jail, but that won't happen because they can't afford to let even one of them to be found guilty of anything, because you know how scum betrays scum, and it will expose whole departments and groups of people.
I simply refuse to allow one group of people preferential treatment over another.
We have all the services in this country, from medical to welfare, so the blacks should not get special treatment over the rest of us.
Posted by ALTRAV, Saturday, 13 July 2019 1:20:59 AM
SR wrote..."I know very few of my 'progressive' friends and acquaintances think these kind of levels of immigration are desirable at all."

But I was talking about the elite pushing through these policies. And, trust me, SR you aren't in the elite.

"These are being driven purely by big business and governments"
There you go. But not just big government and big business but also big media, cloistered academia. All those protected from the effects of massive immigration seem to be in favour of it.
Posted by mhaze, Saturday, 13 July 2019 10:11:43 AM
The fact is that most people identifying as descendants of the original occupants (if they still see any point in doing so) are doing just fine. The fact that certain people, black and white, are agitating for special treatment for a tiny minority is an indication that they think that the ones not doing so well are totally incapable of looking after themselves; after two centuries of opportunities they are still duds. That's real racism for you. Certain people are incapable of doing anything for themselves because of their race. Charming. These blacktivists and white virtue signallers are actually saying the people they CLAIM to represent are a bunch of useless basket cases who, after two centuries still can't cut the mustard.

Maybe they are right. But, if they are that useless because of their race; if they are not like most of the others of the same race, then nothing is going to work for them, just as it has not worked in the past.

But the Morrison government is going to demonstrate the version of lunacy that is doing the same useless things over and over, with the addition of a pinch of apartheid and an undemocratic 'voice' for a few slick, suburban black fellas. Plus, a lot more of taxpayer funds. Why are the only people interested in politics complete plonkers?
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 13 July 2019 10:20:24 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 41
  11. 42
  12. 43