The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Burying 'Brown People' Myths.

Burying 'Brown People' Myths.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 113
  7. 114
  8. 115
  9. Page 116
  10. 117
  11. 118
  12. All
@Paul1405,

When I find my copy of the book I am happy to go through it. However, I knew he was a total twat when he first described fish traps as aquaculture. As I said, he takes a bit of information and inflates and fictionalises it. That is called faction. He has no professional credibility of any kind, and, with that sort of behaviour, even as a writer. Certainly one who laughably claims to present facts.

@Joe,

Good site. I shall have a read. I doubted I was the only person who read Pascoe and thought what a load of over-written and imaginatively interpreted tosh.
Posted by rhross, Saturday, 27 July 2019 3:50:32 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
From Dark Emu exposed - my point exactly.

Quote: As we checked Mr Pascoe’s text, and compared it to his quoted “original” references and what he was saying in his lectures, we started to find some errors. These finds were small ones at first, which can be forgiven in any academic work, but then larger errors appeared and, most worryingly, some even appeared to be possibly wilful manipulations, additions or omissions to slant the narrative and bolster his argument. Could this be?

Yes, it could be and it was because HE IS A FICTION WRITER.
Posted by rhross, Saturday, 27 July 2019 3:52:32 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
@Joe,

I don't think there is any doubt that women were the backbone of such societies and perhaps they were more industrious because when they failed in any way, the punishments were huge.
Posted by rhross, Saturday, 27 July 2019 4:46:49 PM
'Dark Emu' (book) was written by Bruce Pascoe, 'Dark Emu Exposed' (website) was written by WHO? They, they use the word "possibly" so can I, possibly the site was written by Neo-Nazi White Supremacists, the use of the word possibly can cover a multitude of sins. Go to their 'Facebook' account under Mungo Mann, and you find nothing. Who are these mysterious people.

rhross, since your quote has no name of the writer attached, it could be anyone, even you. Then you would be using your own opinion as evidence to support your opinion. Give it a name, before we can take it seriously.

It does surprise that you pick on "pottery" as a point of contention. Pottery only receives scant attention in the book under 'Storage and Preservation', Quote; "While most (pottery) were relatively crude sun-dried bowls, some were baked beside the fire; others, particularly small clay figurines, were fired on charcoal beds, and some were glazed with mineral washes." So there is no great emphasis placed on pottery by Pascoe as such.
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 27 July 2019 5:15:57 PM
Hi Rhross,

Well, in many parts of Australia, where societies were/are patriarchal, i.e. belonging to the men, women were bought in from 'foreign' areas, and could never become 'citizens', always migrants. A bit like Filipina women, if it WAS the case that they couldn't ever become citizens. Of course, thankfully, those wonderful Filipina women can. Where would we be without their contributions ?

And probably even now, it's very difficult for Aboriginal women in many parts of Australia to go back to their own country, so they are, in a sense, trapped in somebody else's foreign country. So of course, they can be mistreated, that's how it's always been. And it goes without saying that in the cities, such restrictions are now meaningless - in that sense, they are liberated there.

The support from their sisters is deafening.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Saturday, 27 July 2019 6:37:11 PM
@Paul1405,

The facts are what matter. Read the material, follow the information and see where and how they prove Pascoe wrong.

You don't need someone's name to establish how factual a claim is.

I did not mention pottery. Are we reading the same thing? I started on the agriculture using native grasses theory.

Perhaps read what is written before launching into print desperately trying to disprove based on the fact you cannot find a name attached to the data.
Posted by rhross, Saturday, 27 July 2019 7:44:46 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 113
  7. 114
  8. 115
  9. Page 116
  10. 117
  11. 118
  12. All