The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Tax on Petrol and Fuel

Tax on Petrol and Fuel

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
If all the tax motorists pay on fuel was pumped back in to roads just maybe we could have no toll roads, free rego green slips could be half price, internal tourism and decentralization need fuel to be far cheaper what do others think?
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 13 June 2018 6:25:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The last I looked belly, it cost over two hundred dollars in tolls to drive across Tokyo.
We're not at that point yet.
Posted by diver dan, Wednesday, 13 June 2018 9:25:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The higher the price of fuel the happier government is from increase in taxes. No wonder they do nothing to keep the price down.
Causing strife in the Middle East is a way of increasing the price as many people know. Especially ASX players.

Queensland does not have green slips or any requirement annually to check vehicles, and guess what, there is no consequent mass mortality and accidents.

I think what is needed is newly productive infrastructure to produce export product. But government does not seem interested. Milk motorists and home owners and renters instead.
Posted by JF Aus, Wednesday, 13 June 2018 9:50:05 PM
Big problem with your theory, when alternative energy vehicles become common the Government will have to look elsewhere for money.

Pay per miles a vehicle travels is being talked about.
Posted by Philip S, Thursday, 14 June 2018 12:26:04 AM
NSW under both governments has made motorists a cash cow,tax we know is the biggest part of fuel costs, we pay massive green slip prices, mine over 600 dollars, if you get booked, just once, in three years your green slip costs that, over 600 not the lessor amount pensioners get, for three years, toll roads in SYDNEY are a massive cost to working commuters, share holders in these privately run roads include those on both sides who gave away our roads in the first place, should electric cars take off watch the massive tax be put on them,consolidated revenue not roads gets most of the fuel tax
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 14 June 2018 6:53:40 AM
People have been talking about putting petrol tax back into roads as long as their has been a tax. It hasn't happened, and it is unlikely to, given the robber barons we continually allow to stay in government.

It's probably a surprise to you eastern-staters who like to sneer at 'rust bucket' South Australia that we don't have toll roads, and not even the scungy politicians have ever suggest that we have them.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 14 June 2018 9:32:12 AM
Just remember that there are two taxes on fuel, Excise and GST, and the Excise is taxed as part of the components of petrol cost.

So we pay tax on a tax, or do we?

See Paul Keating and Labor for a concise explanation of why Excise is not a tax.
Posted by Is Mise, Thursday, 14 June 2018 10:01:06 AM
//See Paul Keating and Labor for a concise explanation of why Excise is not a tax.//

The ATO beg to differ:

http://www.ato.gov.au/Business/Excise-and-excise-equivalent-goods/
Posted by Toni Lavis, Thursday, 14 June 2018 10:14:29 AM
It would be nice Belly, but so much of our infrastructure is supported by fuel taxes, it just can't happen.

We would have to close about half our hospitals & universities just for a start.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 14 June 2018 11:58:15 AM
Tax begs for reform, we know or should know that most will remember the state taxes had to be collected by the federal government after being found illegal GST I think it was, we SUBSIDIZE tax breaks for many things,as highlighted here by another,why the impost on transport and free movement in our big country, country folk need transport, more than most, raise the fairest tax GST but let weekend tourism return, let us see our country and let transport breath and grow
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 14 June 2018 1:03:54 PM
Toni,

That's good news, however, we still pay tax on a tax.
Posted by Is Mise, Thursday, 14 June 2018 1:17:52 PM
//That's good news, however, we still pay tax on a tax.//

If you're that bothered about it, buy an electric car.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Thursday, 14 June 2018 1:54:05 PM
Electric cars will not replace road transport yet, even if it did huge tax would soon cost it as much as petrol, decentralization would be helped if tax on fuel was cut, we live in a big country
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 14 June 2018 3:56:33 PM
would of thought people would of woken up that we are paying triple for electricity due to wind farms and solar panels. The Government will now deceive people in paying far more for petrol in order to push uneconomic and unreliable electric cars.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 14 June 2018 4:19:47 PM
It might be interesting for those angry about tolls and rego to 1. take out your licence 2. look at your name 3. now google ' my name in all uppercase'. This will lead you up a frightening path that officialdom definitly does NOT want you to know about. By the way, I no longer pay parking / speeding fines or tolls on any road. And I do so with impunity, you just have to read the constitution.
Posted by pepper, Thursday, 14 June 2018 5:02:38 PM
Well I pay, every time, in fact my last, only one in ten years, was for fitting seat belt after pulling out from the kerb, paid it and had a poor Christmas, the young cop? while a good one is worth more than we can ever pay, was a rude lout! even his work mates agree, but for three years after it cost just over $200 more for my green slip? fuel tax catches us all, while super rich pay zero tax? or get tax cuts?it is not near fair, and indy nothing to do with climate change.
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 14 June 2018 7:05:38 PM
//3. now google ' my name in all uppercase'. This will lead you up a frightening path that officialdom definitly does NOT want you to know about.//

Wow... the internet sure is a weird place.

I tried pepper's suggestion, just out of curiosity. This is an actual, honest to god, excerpt from the first page that google recommended.

"To liquidate something is to sell it off entirely, or sell it to pay off a debt. It is called liquidated capital because you, the man (“male” or “female”) who has been securitized, were born in the womb of your mother, which was mostly made of water (liquid). You are also mostly made of water. Because you are mostly made of liquid and have been securitized, you are considered liquidated capital."

Do you guys reckon the internet breeds crazy people, or that they were always there all along and the internet just makes them more visible?
Posted by Toni Lavis, Thursday, 14 June 2018 7:51:43 PM
Glimpsed one of those under the screen rolling headlines this early AM without elaborating it said the average IQ is dropping world wide?
Posted by Belly, Friday, 15 June 2018 10:55:44 AM
Toni,

They've always been there and you're right, the Internet just lets them out!!
Posted by Is Mise, Friday, 15 June 2018 12:35:05 PM
Well who would have thought? that the massive tax we pay just to travel by car in our big country would not find more who opposed it, it remains my view travel should if any thing be subsidized not overly taxed, that the week end drives of my childhood helped small country towns survive, and that halving the tax may just help outer city areas grow as places to live while still working in the city's
Posted by Belly, Friday, 15 June 2018 3:11:37 PM
Belly,
The Academic hangers-on would have us believe the IQ is going down but my suspicion is that they desperately try to avoid using the less sexy terms of Pragmatism & common sense.
IQ is something they could pull the wool over our eyes with but they can't with common sense.
have you noticet how few high IQers' are actually in meaningful occupations ?
When they say IQ, they don't say in what field, I mean intelligence is found all over the place & all kinds of constructive occupations. Having a high IQ is no automatic guarantee for becoming a useful member of society. You just have to look at some of them & you can literally see their uselessness.
Posted by individual, Friday, 15 June 2018 5:34:50 PM
Individual it has been my ,lifelong view IQ is no measure of common sense, it does not surprise that some talk of a decline is current,we have all seen the checkout person who can not workout change we older people instantly do in our heads,computers think for us, some rush of to research things we know without help,media dumbs us down too,I without surely needing to remind you, share very little of your views but understand truth may be in the middle between us.
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 16 June 2018 6:26:54 AM
Perhaps truth is that Individual is not an academic but maybe Belly is.

Truth is a non academic unable to quickly count money at a supermarket checkout can easily change their flat tyre in the supermarket carpark, while an academic maybe cannot change a tyre and has to call for assistance.
Why is it so?
Posted by JF Aus, Saturday, 16 June 2018 6:55:35 AM
JF Aus no way I am other than a jack of all trades,but you raise a point worth looking at all my life civil Engineers have shown little skill in simple things,my views are based on having an inquiring mind and trying to find better ways to do things
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 16 June 2018 1:03:30 PM
Belly, I am also a jack of all trades with practical ability. In the outback I was mentored, if it's broken, fix it.
I think academics follow what they learn from literature. Thats good such as with medicine and walking on the moon for example, but its not good for managing world prosperity and peace.
And academic led excise tax to milk motorists to prop up the economy does not leave enough cash for people to consume goods and services.
Posted by JF Aus, Saturday, 16 June 2018 4:00:43 PM
JF Aus yes agree between us we could get things running again but single skill folk will never try,life has been good to me living when a true worker would always have a job and a chance to have a go at any thing
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 16 June 2018 4:24:32 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy