The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Aus Flag Gone - no thanks to ABC

Aus Flag Gone - no thanks to ABC

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Radio Australia shortwave has been closed down after more than 70 years commnicating Australian life and business to Pacific people. Australia's flag in the region no longer flies. Now China is moving in, no wonder and good luck to them.

Out there in the Pacific Australia is now virtually non existent. Shops are filling with rice and goods from Asia instead of Australia. Out ABC is hurting Australian rural and city business.

Of course Australia could reinstate it's presence and friendliness if some mutually beneficial socio-economic projects were welcomed and encouraged by Australian presence on air, instead of being stifled and even gagged.

http://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/us-bemused-by-australia-s-lack-of-leadership-in-the-pacific-labor-20180503-p4zd3r.html
Posted by JF Aus, Friday, 4 May 2018 4:51:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Not quite sure that what's being spruiked here is accurate.

This is a recent link as to what's happening in that
region:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-04/us-marines-join-australian-warship-pacific-china-anxiety-grows/9729652
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 5 May 2018 5:14:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
cont'd ...

It would appear that the Australian Government is making
a push to re-establish itself as the dominant nation in
the S. Pacific.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 5 May 2018 5:17:46 PM
From that link, Foxy, it looks like developed nations are getting ready for war.

Australia's neighboring Pacific Islands people need econonic stimulus including new productive infrastructure and affordable goods that Australia could be and should be helping to develop, instead of war mongering.
Mr Turnbull has his $50 billion summaries, Mr Trump his shares in missile manufacturing and grandstanding international target practice.
Mr Shorten is living in the past.

Solomon Islands now has an operating theatre just for amputation of toes, feet, lower legs, upper legs bit by bit, all resulting from Diabetes II. I think that shocking situation is result of Australia ignoring amino acid protein deficiency malnutrition and weakened immunity among seafood dependent people in the region.
There is evidence of substance accordingly.

I love my country Australia but I despise self serving politicians and their waste of time bickering and screaming at each other in Parliament.

Debate should be about new and viable progress and opportunity including for Australia using available fly in fly out island workers on remote projects Aus workers are not prepared to engage in.

For example, Australia needs water infrastructure but the Aus minister for infrastructure.
There could Ord system water could be sent south to help WA farmers with more fertile grain growing land while existing land rests fallow.
Wet season water from north Queensland could be sent south to help reduce demand on the Murray Darling system.

Pacific workers would appreciate Australia more if such projects took up debate time toward progress, instead of the political screaming and bickering.
Posted by JF Aus, Sunday, 6 May 2018 10:07:47 AM
Dear JF Aus,

Beautifully said and I can't argue with the valid
issues you've raised.
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 6 May 2018 10:20:21 AM
Perhaps you don't realise JF Aus that the sign on the government warehouse in Gizo proclaimed BRITISH SOLOMON ISLAND PROTECTRATE. Oz had nothing to do with the structure of the Solomons. Perhaps you should suggest that the British pick up & fix any problems there.

Actually the poms did a great job in the Solomons, giving the people most of what they needed to become an independent nation, without too much change to their way of life, or overbearing management.

If you want to be a missionary on nutrition go do it, but I doubt Solomon people would accept their diet dictated by the Oz government.
Posted by Hasbeen, Sunday, 6 May 2018 12:04:57 PM
Different views, past and present.

Did the British do well?
The British gave Bougainville Island to PNG even though Bougainville is part of the Solomon Islands Archipelago.
Bougainville people are not happy about their copper rich island being under PNG jurisdiction.
Resource poor Solomon Islands could have had that copper to develop their own economy.

The British departed !978 and left 45 million pounds for the independent government to run the economy but that was not enough. Outside influences such as world recessions and stock market trading of other peoples money ate away at monetary value.

International refrigerated factory ships scooped up migratory tuna resources ouside Solo waters. Even Malcolm Turnbull was a logger.

These days people in need cannit even afford 2 panadol. Pharmacies have closed and walked out of Munda and Noro and Gizo because locals do not have any money to buy what they need.

Australia does not need to be telling people what to eat.
Australia could still have a presence by generating employment on special infrastructure projects in Australia and in Solomon Islands. Water supply infrastructure in Australia. Roads for tourism in cash strapped Solomon Islands.

Or at least chatting with neighbors instead of switching off as the ABC has done with radio Australia short wave, that used to reach remote and affected people almost everywhere.

Or do we stay asleep and complain as China develops the Pacific?
Posted by JF Aus, Sunday, 6 May 2018 3:14:40 PM
Like most other countries Australia has closed its short wave services.
Even the BBC has closed many SW services.

It is just the way it is as the internet extends everywhere.
From memory there is a system specifically designed for Pacific Island countries.
I cannot remember the name it was given but it distributed it via radio.
The BBC and others distribute their radio services via the satellite
system to Medium wave and FM radio stations.
Posted by Bazz, Sunday, 6 May 2018 5:23:04 PM
China Radio International (CRI) is out there on shortwave in the Pacific Islands and so is Radio New Zealand International (RNZI) but not Radio Australia.

CRI is polite and invites input.
RNZI has some good coverage of news and programs.
Radio Aus gives a half hour news broadcast on Solomon Islands short wave often inaudible due to low band static.

It seems Australia cannot afford what tiny New Zealand can afford.

Australia no longer exists. It's pitiful.

Island people in general cannot afford internet connection.
FM is in town but distance lmits signal. MW is affected by static over reasonable distance.
Short wave is free and reaches remote villages everywhere.
Posted by JF Aus, Sunday, 6 May 2018 8:06:12 PM
There is a lot more to Australia's failures in the Pacific region than just the pulling of the plug on Radio Australia's shortwave service In fact Australia has pulled the plug in a number of vital areas in the Pacific.

In Fiji, a country and a people I am very fond of, Australia and New Zealand tried to play the bully boy over military intervention in domestic politics by imposing sanctions. Without any regard to the impact these sanctions would have on an already poor population in the Island nation the big two in regional Commonwealth affairs went ahead with tough action. However another country in the form of China, which is actively seeking to extend its influence in the region, stepped in to fill the vacuum which had been created by the thoughtless actions of Australia and New Zealand. Now we have a real problem on our doorstep, much of which is of our own doing. Who can blame the poor Pacific nations from taking what's on offer, from China.
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 7 May 2018 7:56:35 AM
Re the comments on Queensland water.
In about 1945, when I was aged 14/15, my parents gave me a book authored by Ian Idriess and titled something like The Great Boomerang.

In the book Idriess proposed damming the coastal rivers of north Queensland and delivering that water, through tunnels, to the inland waterways west of the Great Dividing Range. The water could be used for irrigation of agricultural or pastoral land in south west Queensland and/or north western NSW.

A search of the books Idriess authored shows no tile to match my recollections.
Posted by Foyle, Monday, 7 May 2018 3:03:14 PM
Foyle,

I remember the book well; I was quite a fan of Ion Idriess and was privileged to know him in his later years and often talked about diverting some of the river waters inland.
You remembered the title all right, it is "The Great Boomerang",

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Boomerang

will get you on the right track.
Posted by Is Mise, Monday, 7 May 2018 5:42:23 PM
That's interesting. Thanks for that Foyle. Good to see Is Mise on the ball too.
And thank you to Foxy for earlier comment.

There was also the Bradfield Scheme.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradfield_Scheme

Then there was the water harvesting and aqueduct suggestion I put forward to the Abbott-Joyce government, as a way of generating employment for a Solomon Islands fly in fly out workforce, while at the same time generating newly productive export food and fibre opportunity for Australia.
But along came Malcolm Turnbull.
Google: Agricultural Competitiveness White Paper Supporting Information.
Green Paper.
See Index: F. Fairfax J

Of course our ABC has boycotted that potential opportunity.
Posted by JF Aus, Monday, 7 May 2018 8:20:02 PM
Would anyone still want to listen to crackly, fading in and out, sw radio when internet listening is available. Sw used to be a bit of fun, but it have has gone the way of button-up boots.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 7 May 2018 11:06:12 PM
Foyle & Mise,
Off hand I don't know if Idriess was before or after Bradfield but this was proposed as the Bradfield Scheme.
A clear case of thinking being a hundred years ahead of the times.
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 9 May 2018 12:16:08 PM
ttbn,

These days there are shortwave radios that are synthesized and they dont crackle or fade out. During afternoon heat there maybe an hour or two when crackle like sandpaper drowns out the whole broadcast but othewise even music comes through loud and clear.

I am out on the Pacific Islands usually 6 months of the year and let me inform you, Australia no longer exists out thete (virtually).
That absence is not good for marketing Australia's produce or friendship.
Posted by JF Aus, Thursday, 10 May 2018 5:46:04 AM
Synthesized radios that do not fade out ?
JF Aus Not sure what you mean by that.
With sunspot counts near and at zero these days varying signal
strength is what we all have to live with.
As far as I am aware there are a lot of locations where the internet
is just not available.
Small ships are just one that comes to mind. Tracking dishes are just
not practical so satellites are out.
Frequencies below about 10 Mhz are fairly consistent from about
500 Km to 3000 km after about 1600 hrs local time.
Frequencies say between 5 Mhz and 8 Mhz have been good for 10,000
to 13,000 km late afternoons lately.
It is a matter of picking your time and frequency.
The IPS charts tell it all.
Posted by Bazz, Thursday, 10 May 2018 11:04:45 AM
Baz,

As you would know frequency changes to suit time of day broadcast quality.

I have an American made transistor size digital shortwave radio that cost about US$170. It seems to automatically keep the signal at constant volume and clarity. I think that's what they mean by labelling the radio as synthesized.

In an case Radio Australia shortwave is nowhere to be heard. The half hour of ABC source news with Pacific Beat is announced as being Radio Australia but it's not, because it comes on 5020 kh from Honiara on SIBC radio. And that 5020 signal is often off the air. Blackouts in Honiara are common.

Australia is not out there and China and other countries are moving in. Its seems like the ABC is doing this on purpose to drag Australia down.

Has the ABC any data re how many remote people need shortwave? Or has the ex Google now ABC manager just taken increase in salary to get the job and and then save by pulling the SW plug, forcing some lucky listeners to the Internet?

What about other listeners like boat and village canoe people? And people like me? I could be justifiably discussing new opportunity for sustainable food and water management infrastructure for the Pacific, of which Australua is part. But no, because our ABC has all that suppressed and gagged as well as no longer being on the air
Posted by JF Aus, Thursday, 10 May 2018 3:19:28 PM
JF,
>As you would know frequency changes to suit time of day broadcast quality.
>
Yes, that is why most SW broadcasters have multiple frequencies because
skip distances are different at different times and target areas.
>
I have an American made transistor It seems to automatically keep the
signal at constant volume;
>
That is called AGC, automatic gain control,
otherwise strong signals would produce high audio output.

Synthesized is the name given to the way the local oscillator in the
radio is put onto the frequency to receive the required frequency.
In the case of your receiver it has memory chips that hold the
required frequency for each channel button. The computer chip uses it
to generate the local oscillator needed for that frequency.
>
In any case Radio Australia shortwave is nowhere to be heard.
>
Yes it is very sad. If for some reason the internet falls over there
will be nothing left to resurrect.
>
Australia is not out there and China and other countries are moving in.
Its seems like the ABC is doing this on purpose to drag Australia down.
>
Yes and China does not spare the watts either, their signals are
always very strong.
I don't think anyone has any information on listeners.
I do not think the Greens have even heard about short wave radio and
it would be considered too much of CO2 generation. After all most SW
broadcast transmitters run between 50KW and 500KW.

If the future predictors and sustainability become become the standard
the internet will closed because it uses much more power than SW transmitters.
Here endeth the first lesson
Posted by Bazz, Thursday, 10 May 2018 10:15:42 PM
Bazz,

Thank you for your informative comment. It sounds like you may have been one of the technicians operating Radio Australia Shortwave.

Under the circumstances of Australia now losing presence and respect and business, do you think it may be possible for Radio Australia shortwave radio broadcasting to be reinstated?
Posted by JF Aus, Friday, 11 May 2018 6:20:36 AM
Bazz,

Thank you for your informative comment. It sounds like you may have been one of the technicians operating Radio Australia Shortwave.

Under the circumstances of Ausyralua now losing presnce and business do you think it may be possible for Radio Australia shortwave radio broadcasting to be reinstated?
Posted by JF Aus, Friday, 11 May 2018 6:21:36 AM
No, I have never had anything to do with Radio Australia or any other
broadcast station.
Radio Australia was at Lyndhurst in Victoria and Darwin.
There were other SW transmitters operated by the ABC for regional
services but I think they have also gone. Must have a look and see
if they are there. They used to carry the normal program as on the
city station to a large extent. I drove to Darwin and back via
Sth Aus and had all day coverage on SW.

I do not think RA will be revived sad to say.
After all our pollies do not understand that if you take 4000 Mwatts
of the grid, it might cause some difficulties, so anything as complex
as SW broadcasting will really try their tiny minds.
Just had a spin around 5 to 7 Mhz which was where I used to hear
those ABC stations but nothing at all. I will have a listen later
and see if there is any on air.

There are sites that have SW DX news so try googling them and you
will find any infor that is available.
Posted by Bazz, Friday, 11 May 2018 2:30:22 PM
Well JF, I just had a sweep from 5 Mhz to 15 Mhz and there are very
few broadcast stations. A few foreign language stations.
Years ago I used to listen to 9750 the BBC and 15070 BBC most days
but they are not there today and I have not heard them for sometime.
If I remember correctly I had those frequencies stacked in the memory
channels of the radio in the car, it was not the normal car radio,
and I listened to them on the way home from work.

So, no HF Broadcasting these days, although the sunspot count is very low.
No doubt someone will blame it on global warming, hi !
Posted by Bazz, Friday, 11 May 2018 4:17:08 PM
Wait, there is more.

Money is given to Foxtel but with the other hand is taken away from the ABC.

I think leftie editorial control may be at the heart of the problem. Or could it be Malcolm Turnbull links to broadcasting via his lawyer background with Kerry Packer's PBL?

In any case the ensuing turmoil has pulled down the Australian Flag previously held high by Radio Australia shortwave public broadcasting.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/the-challenge-facing-the-abc-time-for-a-clear-channel-20180511-p4zett.html
Posted by JF Aus, Sunday, 13 May 2018 5:35:10 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy