The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Why Does Australia Have to Grow?

Why Does Australia Have to Grow?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
When the liquid petroleum, oil and gas energy resources are depleted the world will take a whole new shape. Countries need basic resources well managed to sustain its population. Take countries like Egypt and Greece that are over populated for their resources. Lots of immigrants creating a larger work force is not the answer. Though labour is a resource, if they are unemployed is a burden.
Posted by Josephus, Tuesday, 13 March 2018 2:52:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Bazz,

What say we just put the lights out and close the door. With BS like that from Shell and Mobil, the West is going to look like the Middle East - the poor backward bits of it.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 13 March 2018 3:35:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Aidan,

What does "Take the environment more seriously" actually mean? Any practical examples?

"Build the infrastructure we need". Fewer people would mean less 'need' for infrastructure.

How do we get refugees "into work as quickly as possible" when most refugees are from Third World countries, with little or no English and little education. There are no jobs for people like that who are already here. Successive governments have imported people but exported all the manual and low skilled jobs.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 13 March 2018 4:28:34 PM
ttbn,
>What does "Take the environment more seriously" actually mean? Any practical examples?
An obvious example would be to stop the Adani coal mine. Never again should we pretend that such destructive projects are vital for our economy.

>How do we get refugees "into work as quickly as possible" when most refugees are from Third World countries, with little or no English and little education.
By looking at what skills they do have. And they generally shouldn't be allowed to come here until they know english, unless they have a valid reason why no other country in the region is suitable for them.

>There are no jobs for people like that who are already here.
Expansionary economic policy will result in more jobs of all kinds.

>Successive governments have imported people but exported all the manual and low skilled jobs.
Only in the manufacturing sector, and that was mainly a result of China taking most of the value our of value adding.
Posted by Aidan, Wednesday, 14 March 2018 1:21:45 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Aidan,

I don't see the relevance of a coal mine to population growth and immigration. People concerned about the 'environment' don't usually support mass immigration anyway, so I don't get your environment comment at all. Besides, there is really nothing wrong with the Australian natural environment, and as I said previously, there is no natural environment in the cities where immigrants flock.

I cannot think of any skills needed in Australia that would be held by illiterate, Third World refugees.

Expanding the economy just to provide jobs for people we don't need in the first place seems to be a dog-chasing-its-own-tail exercise to me.

"Only in the manufacturing area"? What else is there. There are limited opportunities in high tech jobs for highly skilled people. That brings us back to on again off again pursuits like tourism and selling coffee to each other.

We will never agree on much, Aidan,but thanks for responding. To get back to my original question, 'Why Does Australia Have to Grow', I am more than ever convinced that we don't have to grow, and should not grow, if we wish to leave a decent way of life behind us.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 14 March 2018 8:26:21 AM
Unfortunately ttbn it is not BS. The problem is the cost to discover
and develop new oil fields. The short production times of tight wells
is part of the problem also.
However it is all summed up with Energy Return on Energy Invested.
Last figure I saw is that oil is around 10.
If it gets as low as approx 7 then it is all over.
In the early part of the last century it was 100.

If we were selfish, we would pull up the drawbridge.
Pity we cannot put graphs up here as the ERoEI graph is a thought provoker.
Posted by Bazz, Wednesday, 14 March 2018 8:38:15 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy