The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Kangaroo Fertility Trial

Kangaroo Fertility Trial

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Issy, you seem to have a thing about kangaroos and killing them.

At the behest of the NSW Shooters and Hooters Party, a very expensive trial of culling feral animals in national parks by amateur Rambo type shooters was conducted. The ridiculous trial of the effectiveness of allowing booze fueled, hot headed amateur shooters into national parks was clear. Costing the taxpayer $1.4 million, at an average of $7152 for each animal killed, 70% were rabbits, it proved to be a total disaster, and a total waste of taxpayer money
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 9 March 2018 4:11:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Paul1405, I'm curious, how on earth could it cost the govt $1.4m for some people to cull some animals? What was it that was so expensive? I'm imagining that these people turn up with their guns and when they come across a selected animal, they shoot it. The only expense I can see is the amo', and that at best would not come to anywhere near a hundred dollars per shooter. And even then I don't think the govt was handing out the amo'. That would have been at the expense of the shooter.
Posted by ALTRAV, Friday, 9 March 2018 7:53:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Paul,

"Issy, you seem to have a thing about kangaroos and killing them."

Haven't shot one for the last thirty years, I concentrate on foxes but I do eat a fair bit of 'roo, courtesy of a few of my farmer mates'
Also, eat some venison, have a mate who corns it, really superb meat
Posted by Is Mise, Friday, 9 March 2018 8:32:18 AM
Issy, you know I have no problem with your hunting. Done correctly its not a problem. Foxes every one you kill is a bonus. My own son has a gun licence, my partners son loves nothing better than to get back to NZ and do some hunting.

A little story, you love my little stories Issy. When my son was on a property down Nowra way, he wanted to keep ducks and turkeys, in fox territory. Built a pen about 8 foot high, dug the wire netting well into the ground, totally fox proof, the Alcatraz of duck pens, so he thought. I seen the animals and their fox proof compound, and it did look impressive. Things went fine for a while. Got a call one morning, "Dad, all the ducks and turkeys are dead, a F'n fox got in last night and killed the lot!" How, I don't know, must have got winched in by helicopter, but get in, and out it did. End of keeping ducks and turkeys, kept a few chickens for a while.

ALTRAV, between the PS and the BS, full blown investigation with reports etc, and the general lack of shooters finding their target, the trial cost a packet, and it proved to be an inefficient failure.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 9 March 2018 9:19:25 AM
Paul,

As you now know 8 foot of wire netting is a ladder for a fox, the only reasonably sure way is to roof the enclosure with wire as well.

Expensive, but 99% sure; you can never be 100% sure about a fox unless it's dead.
Posted by Is Mise, Friday, 9 March 2018 10:07:54 AM
Yes need a roof, he even angled the fence outwards about 2 feet. Not worth it, although I got a few duck eggs (my favorite egg, big yolks).
I will support your endeavours to eradicate foxes. What were the British thinking of when the brought the buggers here.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 9 March 2018 11:05:14 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy