The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Surprise ! Coal Fired Electricity Cheaper Than Renewables

Surprise ! Coal Fired Electricity Cheaper Than Renewables

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Meanwhile as other nations build coal-fired power stations to use Australian coal....
Posted by Is Mise, Friday, 7 July 2017 9:29:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I wish they would tell us exactly what is the job of the Tesla battery.
They are just letting everyone think that is to fill in when otherwise
there would be a blackout.
I suspect its real purpose, provided the appropriate electronics and
computer software is included, will provide simulated inertia and
black start facilities.
It was the absence of those facilities that caused total blackout
last September.

It just cannot do the job they want us to believe it is for.
Daytime demand in SA approx 1 gwatt.
60/1000megatt/129Megawatt = 7.74 mins.
That time is so short then the battery is not meant to support
Sth Aus in the event of a power failure and is not its purpose.
Its purpose maybe as I suggested above, but maybe not.
Is it's purpose to just backup a particular group of wind generators.
That makes sense, but the implication is that it is the first of many.

Wind turbines are around 80 megawatts each so the battery could backup
one wind turbine for 1 1/2 hours. Hmmm.
So would a windfarm of 20 turbines require 20 of the worlds largest batteries ?
I would just love to know how much it will cost.

Then the tricky question, where will the power to recharge it come from ?
Posted by Bazz, Friday, 7 July 2017 11:05:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bazz

It can be cloudy for a couple of weeks up here in the tropics when the rain sets in.

I like you, have wondered how they are going to back the power up, when the weather
fails. I certainly hope our defence systems aren't going to be powered by renewables.

If the battle happened during a cloudy week, we could lose the war.

Our Phones connected to the National Broadband, go down easily in bad weather,
whereas the old copper wire phones took a lot to knock them out.
Posted by CHERFUL, Friday, 7 July 2017 11:43:28 PM
I often find that those pursuing the reduction of CO2 emissions often do so with religious zeal that sabotages their objectives. They claim that science is on their side, yet reject the science that shows that nuclear and HELE coal stations can reduce emissions just as safely as wind and solar, without the high costs and blackouts.

That coal-fired power is far cheaper than wind or solar is no shocker as wind and solar still need vast subsidies to be able to compete. That the new HELE power stations would be more viable built on the sites of previously closed older power stations is a no brainer, as sites with a ready supply of coal and cooling water is not that common.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Saturday, 8 July 2017 6:48:35 AM
If HELE plants could load-follow renewables, that would be acceptable to the renewablistas, I believe. However, neither HELE-coal, nor gas will contribute significantly to mitigation of AGW when coupled to renewables.

Gargantuan storage capacity is what drives the Renewablistas' dream, with gas only a half-way house towards this. It's Finkel's plan.

The immense scale required, hence cost, is not even a consideration to them, because their other dream is that you just print money and, remarkably, the man in the street will feel no pain, nor will our international industrial competitiveness suffer.

It's all win-win-win-win-win!
Posted by Luciferase, Saturday, 8 July 2017 11:48:23 AM
Dear Hasbeen,

Bloody typical mate.

The multinational gas companies have stitched us Aussies up big time and here you are giving their boots an extra shine. We are in the top 5 gas producers in the world but take by far the least amount of tax from these companies than any other nation. Qatar is probably our closest equivalent, they pulled $23 billion in royalties and taxes and we collect less than a billion for the same amount of export gas.

When Labour tried to introduce a very modest tax of super-profits you were one of the loudest protesters. These companies and the likes of yourself have ripped us off mightily and on you, with absolutely no shame, blaming the ban of fracking for the current crisis.

The Yanks only recently allowed very modest exports of their own reserves while here in the “smart” country the vast majority of our own reserves are sold overseas filling contracts at prices that mean Japanese families can pay less than Aussie families for our own bloody gas.

We are awash with the stuff yet you want farmers to throw the towel in and let productive land get gobbled up and water tables get put at risk just so big multinational can siphon off even more of our gas deliver greater profits for their overseas shareholders.

Shameful. About time you stopped shining their boots and thought about the ordinary Australian for once. “If the public ever wake up to just how much 'boot-licking' ratbaggery is costing them, it will become quite dangerous to admit to being one.”
Posted by SteeleRedux, Saturday, 8 July 2017 12:08:48 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy