The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Respect for the Court

Respect for the Court

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 19
  7. 20
  8. 21
  9. Page 22
  10. 23
  11. All
How did you get on, nicknamenick?

Assuming you were next, or were you waiting for a friend?
Posted by leoj, Sunday, 19 February 2017 8:06:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yuyutsu
"What I keep calling for, is to keep the states small so that everyone will find a reasonable place on this planet where they can live happily with the law."
This gives 2 options:
You can travel from state to state looking for the ideal community that has your approval . Then you could just move in or give your agreement to conform.
Or you can find one that's ripe for revolt and do a take-over. You then could become life president or run an online opinion forum.
Posted by nicknamenick, Monday, 20 February 2017 6:26:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
leoj
The clerk signed a JP form for us and the high desk made us stand. The Irish prime minister stood at the top of narrow stairs to compel the Queen to be lower when they shook hands . The military like the high ground.
Posted by nicknamenick, Monday, 20 February 2017 6:35:33 AM

Dear Yuyutsu,

You wrote :

[ “to ‘opt-out’ of society, one has to either cease being a member of that society, or not become a member of it in the first place – not just break the law or treat it with contempt”

I fully agree, but this assumes an ethical society ]

The OED definition of “opt-out” (which I am pleased to see we agree upon) does not assume an ethical society. Whether the society is ethical or not makes no difference. If you (or anybody else) wants to “opt-out” of society one has to leave it or not join it. It’s as simple as that.

If you decide to join it or remain in it, then you are expected to live according to the laws of that society (whether they are ethical or not). If you do not, then you are in trouble.

If you contest the laws of society, you are fighting an uphill battle, Yuyutsu, which you pretty certain to lose. It can only bring you more trouble than its worth. You are wasting your time and energy. It may also prove to be a very costly enterprise.

You may even end up in jail.

It reminds me of that well-known character of the 17th century Spanish writer, Cervantes, in his famous novel, “El ingenioso hidalgo don Quixote de la Mancha” who reads so many chivalric romances that he loses his mind and decides to set out to revive chivalry, undo wrongs, and bring justice to the world. He and his servant, Sancho, mount their horses and wage war with their swords and spears on windmills which don Quixote mistakenly imagines to be his enemies.

The moral of the story, Yuyutsu, is that it’s silly to fight windmills. You just can’t win.

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Monday, 20 February 2017 9:12:38 AM
Joan of Arc , Oliver Cromwell and Ned Kelly were individuals like Nick Xenophon or Donald Trump. Yuyutsu could go for Gov- General why not , the last one gave political opinions to the media. Or the Yuyutsu Why Not Party could join the cross-bench and make a difference different from all the other contestants making a difference.
Posted by nicknamenick, Monday, 20 February 2017 12:13:31 PM
I wonder if nicknamenicknamenick really exists, or is actually a reincarnation of Ern Malley, cooked up by some under-grad pranksters ?

There's two minutes I'll never get back.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Monday, 20 February 2017 12:24:12 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 19
  7. 20
  8. 21
  9. Page 22
  10. 23
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy